Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
How you doing with your spacers?
It's going slowly. I've got the spacers and the lowering motor mounts. Making a new upper FEAD bracket will take some time. I hope to get it completed by spring. I've got new axles and a DS to do first. With all the overtime I work, leaves little time for modding.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Took my '19 Roush Stage 3 for a cruise after supper.
What a blast! This is boost weather. :muscle:

Curley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just received the new roush updated LTR, has a Griffin Rad sticker on box,,,, well not what I expected. Right when picked the box up, I said oh-oh, really light compared to the whipple oversized. It is 1 9/16" thick, about a 1/4" thicker then original. The whipple is 3 1/8" thick and 2" wider then roush. Height is the same on all.

Last edited:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Just received the new roush updated LTR,,,, well not what I expected. Right when picked the box up, I said oh-oh, really light compared to the whipple oversized. It is 1 9/16" thick, about a 1/4" thicker then original. The whipple is 3 1/8" thick and 2" wider then roush. Height is the same on all. Looks like I'll be putting the whipple in.
Are you doing the install yourself? How hard is the install?
If I ever get a LTR from Roush, I will probably wait and see if VMP makes something for the 2018/2019 instead. We'll see.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just received the new roush updated LTR,,,, well not what I expected. Right when picked the box up, I said oh-oh, really light compared to the whipple oversized. It is 1 9/16" thick, about a 1/4" thicker then original. The whipple is 3 1/8" thick and 2" wider then roush. Height is the same on all. Looks like I'll be putting the whipple in.

Just curious, what is the thickness and width of the Whipple BASE LTR

Reason I ask is if the new Roush LTR is equal the base whipple LTR then that’s really not too bad, I like the whipple but they charge u 400 for the upgrade and then bang u for a 10 rib option if u order their kit

At least Edelbrock gives u large LTR and 8 rib in their Stage II Kit for no extra coin

Last edited:

Curley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My car never see's rain and it seems 90% of my driving is on hot ass days, so the choice is clear to me. Heat soak doesn't blow, it freakin sucks! New Roush LTR on left, whipple oversize right.
IMG_20190919_205304928 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
My car never see's rain and it seems 90% of my driving is on hot ass days, so the choice is clear to me. Heat soak doesn't blow, it freakin sucks!
So that's the base Whipple of the upgraded Whipple heat exchanger?

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So that's the base Whipple of the upgraded Whipple heat exchanger?
I think he’s comparing the new roush to the UPGRADED whipple

I’d like to see the base whipple LTR vs the NEW ROUSH LTR, still the roush has a small intercooler, that's it’s biggest flaw.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think he’s comparing the new roush to the UPGRADED whipple

I’d like to see the base whipple LTR vs the NEW ROUSH LTR, still the roush has a small intercooler, that's it’s biggest flaw.
Ok I see. Still good to know what the difference is. Roush needs to upgrade the design. I wonder if there's a way for them to change how the intercoller is constructed (materials for example) to compensate fro size because I highly doubt they completely redesign it. I'm no mechanic obviously.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ok I see. Still good to know what the difference is. Roush needs to upgrade the design. I wonder if there's a way for them to change how the intercoller is constructed (materials for example) to compensate fro size because I highly doubt they completely redesign it. I'm no mechanic obviously.
Yea Roush isn’t gonna redesign the kit, it’s a good kit for a stock like appearance with decent power in its current form.

VMP is releasing a Magnuson Version of a kit in 3 months. Using 2.65 rotors from the video on line, still a 10lb Lund custom tuned Edelbrock Stage II looks to be a solid setup. I’m leaning that way lately

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
My car never see's rain and it seems 90% of my driving is on hot ass days, so the choice is clear to me. Heat soak doesn't blow, it freakin sucks! New Roush LTR on left, whipple oversize right.
Wow, that's a huge difference. (Pardon the pun. lol)
So will the Whipple oversize fit clearance-wise, seeing how it's so much larger?

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Roush Intercooler Brick is one of the biggest flaws to the 2650 setup. I have a Roush on my 17 and I personally would steer clear of the 18+ Roush 2650 set up until they address so many pressing issues.

- Restrictive Inlet
- Inadequate Intercooler Brick
- Inadequate Heat Exchanger
- Way too conservative tune

I’m a big fan of Roush but they fumbled the ball on this big time and all the other blowers out there have passed them by.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Yea Roush isn’t gonna redesign the kit, it’s a good kit for a stock like appearance with decent power in its current form.

still a 10lb Lund custom tuned Edelbrock Stage II looks to be a solid setup. I’m leaning that way lately
I thought you wanted a powertrain warranty. I am sure a Lund tuned EB stage II would be a great setup, though. Each of the kits have their pros and cons. I like that Roush has an association with Ford and they have a powertrain warranty but the basic design has flaws. I like the EB because of the powertrain warranty but I hear too many complaints of drivability - both online and from guys in my area who install them. I REALLY like the Whipple stage II and it is highly recommended by the installers in my area but there is no warranty.

Apparently, I am in the minority but I prefer not to spend nearly $10,000 for an installed kit and then have to fork out another $1000 for a custom tune to get good daily drivability. Along with the increased power of the custom tune goes greater chances of driveline breakage so I prefer to keep the tune that comes with the kit and make do without the extra HP that a custom tune will bring. At the end of the day, I will probably just go Whipple stage II and forget about a powertrain warranty.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I thought you wanted a powertrain warranty. I am sure a Lund tuned EB stage II would be a great setup, though. Each of the kits have their pros and cons. I like that Roush has an association with Ford and they have a powertrain warranty but the basic design has flaws. I like the EB because of the powertrain warranty but I hear too many complaints of drivability - both online and from guys in my area who install them. I REALLY like the Whipple stage II and it is highly recommended by the installers in my area but there is no warranty.

Apparently, I am in the minority but I prefer not to spend nearly $10,000 for an installed kit and then have to fork out another $1000 for a custom tune to get good daily drivability. Along with the increased power of the custom tune goes greater chances of driveline breakage so I prefer to keep the tune that comes with the kit and make do without the extra HP that a custom tune will bring. At the end of the day, I will probably just go Whipple stage II and forget about a powertrain warranty.

Well, I was thinking of at least trying the Stage 2 93 canned tune first, then if I don’t like it I can always retune it via Lund.

Like u like the Roush for the Ford partnership but it heat soaks so badly.

Whipple power comes on a bit later, I like the TVS design better