Sponsored

Blow by

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I have a vortech V7JT blower .I just did like probably 4 hard pulls on the highway racing a friend of mine. I took the jlt cold air pipe off and put my turbo guard on. First time I ever did it. I also have the upr catch on the passenger side and the clean feed on the driverside. I spoke to Steve at UPR and he sold me a filter that connects from my clean side (driverside) to the end of the line that plugs into my JLT cold air pipe. I noticed alot of oil all over the engine bay coming from the filter. Car still runs good no check engine light ,no smoke, no knock. Is it normal for the driver side to shoot out oil like that? I thought only the passenger side shoots out alot of oil. I hope this make sense. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about
20190920_015838.jpg
Sponsored

Turbotyla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
On pump gas?

I’ve seen more than one coyote swell the piston in the bore and cause excessive blow by.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
My 90k mile 630 rwhp cts-v got like 14 oz in the catch can per 5k miles

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Looks like you have the filter on the “wet” side of the connections. It’s hard to tell with
the picture since I can’t see all the connections.

The catch can needs a vent to allow only combustion blow by gasses to escape not oil vapors. Looks like the vent is on the crankcase side of the vent lines which will have oil vapors in them. Especially under high loads. Also check to make sure your check valve or PCV to the intake manifold works so you aren’t inadvertently pressuring the crank case with boost.

Study the pluming based upon light load and high load conditions and you will figure it out.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Have you checked you pcv to make sure it’s not letting pressure though I in boost?

Anywhere else you might have boost getting into the crank case?

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Looks like you have the filter on the “wet” side of the connections. It’s hard to tell with
the picture since I can’t see all the connections.

The catch can needs a vent to allow only combustion blow by gasses to escape not oil vapors. Looks like the vent is on the crankcase side of the vent lines which will have oil vapors in them. Especially under high loads. Also check to make sure your check valve or PCV to the intake manifold works so you aren’t inadvertently pressuring the crank case with boost.

Study the pluming based upon light load and high load conditions and you will figure it out.
Is the wet side the driverside? That's the side it's on

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Is the wet side the driverside? That's the side it's on

Any air that leaves the valve covers can have oil it regardless of the passenger or drivers side of the engine. Some catch cans are made for the pcv system. Meaning the intake manifold vacuum draws in the crankcase air through a catch can then the PCV valve in the passenger side cover.

But what happens to your car when it’s in boost? If the catch can is not vented to the atmosphere, then it hopefully does nothing. If does allow boost to flow passed it then you are blowing back into the engine which is bad.

So now the only place the crank case gasses can escape is the drivers side Valve cover when you are in boost. I’m not sure if the clean feed and the baffles in the cover the drivers can separate the oil effectively.
Most high hp applications need at least two large vents for crankcase blow by.

On my 2018 roush it vents under boost on both the passenger and driver’s side valve covers. Under vacuum it draws filtered air from drivers side through the engine into the top of the blower from the passenger side through a PCV valve in the pax side cover.

I built catch cans for high hp small displacement engines. With the high cylinder pressures they had a lot of blow by.
I would weld extra vents on the valve covers. The better you can evacuate blow by the less windage you will have in the crankcase.

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Any air that leaves the valve covers can have oil it regardless of the passenger or drivers side of the engine. Some catch cans are made for the pcv system. Meaning the intake manifold vacuum draws in the crankcase air through a catch can then the PCV valve in the passenger side cover.

But what happens to your car when it’s in boost? If the catch can is not vented to the atmosphere, then it hopefully does nothing. If does allow boost to flow passed it then you are blowing back into the engine which is bad.

So now the only place the crank case gasses can escape is the drivers side Valve cover when you are in boost. I’m not sure if the clean feed and the baffles in the cover the drivers can separate the oil effectively.

On my 2018 roush it vents under boost on both the passenger and driver’s side valve covers. Under vacuum it draws filtered air from drivers side through the engine into the top of the blower from the passenger side through a PCV valve in the pax side cover.

I built catch cans for high hp small displacement engines. With the high cylinder pressures they had a lot of blow by.
I would weld extra vents on the valve covers. The better you can evacuate blow by the less windage you will have in the crankcase.
So which oil separator should I buy for my car?

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
And thanks for

And thanks for all your help

Sponsored

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
@Toydoctor why not just run breathers? Any negatives to doing that?

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
@Toydoctor why not just run breathers? Any negatives to doing that?
Not much other than oil residue leaking from filters and you might smell the blow by gasses in the cabin.

Catch cans usually are cooler than the engine which allows water (by product of combustion) and oil to condense into the can then eventually you drain it. I’ve built one that drained back into the engine too.

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Not much other than oil residue leaking from filters and you might smell the blow by gasses in the cabin.

Catch cans usually are cooler than the engine which allows water (by product of combustion) and oil to condense into the can then eventually you drain it. I’ve built one that drained back into the engine too.
Is this a good one? Is this what I need? It has the breather on it as well
Screenshot_20190921-093552_Chrome.jpg

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Buy breathers. Any other solution is TRASH

Greetings from Cali, btw lol
Sponsored