Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP Manual
Hi all,

A few questions for all my fellow GT350 owners regarding the active exhuast:

When you do a cold start in the morning, does it sound like the valves are almost pushed open sporadically for the first few seconds as the engine is warming up? Mine always lets out a super loud scream at first, then it almost seems as if the valves close back up and it returns to normal.

Secondly, under moderate throttle in "Normal" mode, the valves seem to open up around 4-5k rpm and it becomes "Sport" loud even though i am leaving it in normal mode.

More or less it just seems that with enough exhaust flow the valves almost cant stay closed and it gets loud at certain points, whether it be during a cold start or on the road when i give it some throttle.

I dont necessarily mind it, although it would be nice for my neighbors if the startup was a bit quieter. Just trying to understand if this is normal or something that i should have addressed?

Thanks!

Mike
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Both scenarios are completely normal. During start, they cycle as part of a test. During driving, they drive open at WOT (or some throttle position) regardless of mode or exhaust position selected. You have no problems here other than needed new neighbors if they have an issue with the sound of your car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
On cold start, if you depress the clutch and then wait for the exhaust valve cycling noises to stop before pressing the start button the exhaust will be a little quieter.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
it would be nice for my neighbors if the startup was a bit quieter
Same thought here... I start my car with the garage door closed and wait until it quiets up before I open the door.
(Perfect set-up for carbon monoxide in an enclosed space jab)

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
yes same X% throttle in any mode valves open. 6th gear cruising in any mode valves close. from my understanding.

Sponsored

O-H-5-0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350; 2016 F-150
Hold the clutch in for a few seconds before pushing the start button. This will cycle the valves for the diagnostic and they will remain closed when you start the engine. You wonā€™t get the loud bark on cold start this way.

But thatā€™s only if you want to be friends with your neighbors...

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
My neighbors dig the Shelby, but I try not to start it at 8am. And yeah, your car is a normal GT350 just being a GT350..

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
My neighbors dig the Shelby, but I try not to start it at 8am. And yeah, your car is a normal GT350 just being a GT350..
The OP actually has a GT... you know, the low end Torque Monsters!

I have found that the GT350 exhaust sounds the best under load BEFORE our torque starts to really kick in.

OP
OP
Melwinn

Melwinn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP Manual
Thanks for the replies all. I just noticed my picture/profile for these forums still has all my 17 5.0 stuff attached to it. I have recently purchased a 19 GT350 so the questions are regarding the new one.

Definitely going to give the longer clutch press a try tomorrow morning. Neighbors havent said anything yet but i try to be at least somewhat nice as this is a daily for me so its starting up every morning on the way to work.

Cheers

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Either holding the clutch down for a few seconds before starting - or punching the start button once on sitting down before pushing the clutch in and then punching it again to start the motor - will work to start it in the normal mode.

First morning after I got my 17 and went out to start it at 6:30 am to leave for work, it started with that enormous bark and roar and my wife came and opened the garage door and scowled at me. I quickly experimented to figure out how to prevent that from happening again.

Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
My wife calls it LOUD MODE. Whenever she gets in it she always asks me if we are going to be driving in Loud Mode. I just say Heck yeah!

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
On cold start, if you depress the clutch and then wait for the exhaust valve cycling noises to stop before pressing the start button the exhaust will be a little quieter.
This^^ it sounds like NASCAR pit lane if you just start it cold, but give it a couple seconds to cycle and then it starts in the "quiet" mode.

Last edited:

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Uuugggg...you guys are funny...all I want in life is a way for the valves to stay full open on cold start!! (Yes, I know there are ways to do this, but one of them I donā€™t like and the other I donā€™t think is cost effective for me)

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Uuugggg...you guys are funny...all I want in life is a way for the valves to stay full open on cold start!! (Yes, I know there are ways to do this, but one of them I donā€™t like and the other I donā€™t think is cost effective for me)

I'm with you. I wish they were normally open and then use the switch to close them. Which would not be often. lol
Sponsored