Sponsored

Need a new clutch most likely, good shop in Bay Area Califonia?

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
So I believe i need to replace my clutch. It shudders when taking off in 1st unless i get the RPMs up over 1k. Easing out with low throttle, it will shudder until it gets going. It's pretty bad in reverse. Called my dealer and got a quote for $2521 which includes new clutch and bearing, seals, etc. basically everything to do the job. Labor is about $1700 of that.

Is $1700 labor a OK price? Forgive me, I'm not too up on that. Anybody replaced a clutch, what did it cost you?

Anybody know of a good shop in the California bay area. I'm in the east bay, around the Pinole, CA area.

Car had 47k on it when i bought it, has 57k or so now
Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
So I believe i need to replace my clutch. It shudders when taking off in 1st unless i get the RPMs up over 1k. Easing out with low throttle, it will shudder until it gets going. It's pretty bad in reverse. Called my dealer and got a quote for $2521 which includes new clutch and bearing, seals, etc. basically everything to do the job. Labor is about $1700 of that.

Is $1700 labor a OK price? Forgive me, I'm not too up on that. Anybody replaced a clutch, what did it cost you?

Anybody know of a good shop in the California bay area. I'm in the east bay, around the Pinole, CA area.

Car had 47k on it when i bought it, has 57k or so now
$1700 for labor is unreasonably high. I paid $400 for my clutch install over here in Texas. You shouldn't be paying more than $600 for a clutch install IMO.

Also, consider picking up an aftermarket clutch. RST or Exedy Mach 500 will be good choices for you if you don't plan on making a ton of power.

OEM one is decent too but you shouldn't be paying $800 for it.

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
$1700 for labor is unreasonably high. I paid $400 for my clutch install over here in Texas. You shouldn't be paying more than $600 for a clutch install IMO.

Also, consider picking up an aftermarket clutch. RST or Exedy Mach 500 will be good choices for you if you don't plan on making a ton of power.

OEM one is decent too but you shouldn't be paying $800 for it.
Thank you. I found a shop somewhat close to me that does work on mustangs. He said about 6 to 700 labor. That sounded a lot more reasonable to me for sure.

I will be looking into the aftermarket options as well. Exedy or McLeod.

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Never used them, so not sure. I had found a post on some mustang forum looking for a shop who knows mustangs in the bay area. These guys were mentioned.

I talked to them yesterday. The guy at the shop I talked to initially has a supercharged mustang. He had Daniel call me back to get an idea of pricing for the job, i think he may be the owner, not sure. Sound like good guys, who know what they are talking about. Asked if I was gonna go stock, or go aftermarket etc. I will eventually be taking it there for the job. Unless i can DIY at my buddies place, but he's in the process of moving so might just take it to a shop.

Advanced Auto Electric & Air Conditioning https://www.yelp.com/biz/advanced-auto-electric-and-air-conditioning-san-ramon-2

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
My stock clutch will shudder on low rpm takeoffs as well. I found that if I take it to about 1250 it won't shudder. Mine also shudders if it's cold first out of the garage until the clutch warms up. I don't believe it's slipping or needs to be repaced. Are there any other symptoms that make you feel it's toast?

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
No.
My stock clutch will shudder on low rpm takeoffs as well. I found that if I take it to about 1250 it won't shudder. Mine also shudders if it's cold first out of the garage until the clutch warms up. I don't believe it's slipping or needs to be repaced. Are there any other symptoms that make you feel it's toast?
It grabs well. Its the shudder at low rpm that is just unpleasant. How many miles on your clutch?

Do i just need to make sure im over 1 k to ease out? If i try to ease out with low throttle it will shudder. It used to be ok doing that. Do i just need to slip the clutch more to keep it healthy? Id certainly like opinions on this.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I had my tranny and clutch replaced due to a malfunction at 19k. I have 35k miles now so 15k on new oem clutch. There is a clutch test you can do. What gears do you have?

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
All of them. 2017 GT 6 speed. MT 82

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
If it's pretty bad chatter and since you are at 57k, maybe take it to a tranny shop and see what they say. Ford will sell you anything if you need it or not.

Yea with 3.73s it should be easier for you to take off at a lower rpm I would assume.
Sponsored