Sponsored

Do you change your own oil?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
On the web. You create an account and then a profile for your VIN(s). Everything Ford does is recorded and you manually add things you do. Below is the link to view/add events but you need to have an account set up. But I suspect that link would walk you thru the set up process.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/service-history.html
This

I signed up and have been using it for six months. Great way to keep track and have records available in case Ford challenges you on maintenance.
Sponsored

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Of course I change my own own. I'm a grown man that's not crippled. No one will care for my engine to my standard more than me.

There is no way to know they actually changed the oil or used the right oil. My wife has a fancy Grand Cherokee and she never planned on keeping the thing out of warranty. The dealer does its oil changes with Synthetic oil and the price was worked out into the cost of the vehicle. ..claimed free but I'm sure there's a Dealer math that takes care of it on their end.

You can use a Marker to mark the filter to know if they changed it. Other than that, only way to know is by an AOAP sample.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I had a Maxima that I didn't even need to jack up to change the oil. Some Jeeps that were the same way. But this car is much more hassle.

The only advice I'd give about having a shop or the dealer do the oil change is don't be afraid to watch them do the work. If you feel silly, tip the tech. Really, just give him $10. You're probably going to see him again. Then stand there. And get comfortable. It's your car. My Jiffy Lube puts in name brand filters, and opens and pours each container of Mobile 1 into the car right in front of my eyes, they don't use a big anonymous drum of oil. I also chat up the tech just because I'm that kind of guy and like talking cars with anybody.

It isn't cheap. Up around $100 for a full synthetic oil change, if you want that. And saves you from having to get messy and dump out your own oil and stuff. So it's the old time vs money dilemma. But you only do it every six months or so.

Deleted member 35786

Good thing I live near a military base. I use the Auto Hobby shop, they have everything and more. And a car lift is only $12hr. Normally I am finished in about 30min. Easy stuff.

Thanks for the info regarding documenting with Ford online. I will look into that. I also write it down in my owners manual with date and mileage when changed.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Good thing I live near a military base. I use the Auto Hobby shop, they have everything and more. And a car lift is only $12hr. Normally I am finished in about 30min. Easy stuff.

Thanks for the info regarding documenting with Ford online. I will look into that. I also write it down in my owners manual with date and mileage when changed.
Man I miss the auto hobby shop! They had parts washers and spring compressors, stuff you may not have at home. And a convenient waste oil drum. I was in a long time ago so glad to hear the hobby shops still exist.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Man I miss the auto hobby shop! They had parts washers and spring compressors, stuff you may not have at home. And a convenient waste oil drum. I was in a long time ago so glad to hear the hobby shops still exist.
Yea I use it for working on all my kids cars too. As a military retiree that works on base I use it all the time. Plus I would rather give them the money to ensure it stays open. Love it!

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Went to the shop today for my 30k oil change, and only paid $17 for 30 minutes of labor minus parts. I have changed my oil myself in the past, but fuck carrying 6-10 quarts of oil in my trunk to the nearest shop. It's a messy bitch if everything doesn't go smoothly. Rather cough up the 10-20 bucks for labor.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Went to the shop today for my 30k oil change, and only paid $17 for 30 minutes of labor minus parts. I have changed my oil myself in the past, but fuck carrying 6-10 quarts of oil in my trunk to the nearest shop. It's a messy bitch if everything doesn't go smoothly. Rather cough up the 10-20 bucks for labor.
$17 for a Mustang oil change? That's really cheap. The oil alone cost more than double that price if you DIY. Good deal.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I went by a Ford yesterday and had called another. No one knew it was 10qt's for the 5.0. I will now be doing my own oil changes.

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Always changed my own oil. The only time those clowns at the dealership see my car is if they're looking out the window and see me drive past them.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I used to for all my vehicles, but the older I get the less I want to crawl under the car to do these basic things. I have all the tools/kit - jacking rails, jack stands, floor jack, etc, etc, etc. I trust my dealer (been using them for 20yrs) and for just about $40 for synthetic change its a great deal IMHO.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I used to for all my vehicles, but the older I get the less I want to crawl under the car to do these basic things. I have all the tools/kit - jacking rails, jack stands, floor jack, etc, etc, etc. I trust my dealer (been using them for 20yrs) and for just about $40 for synthetic change its a great deal IMHO.
I'm in Cali and I was quoted 120$ a service trip. I was dumbfounded. That is why I was very warry after the first dealer. but to get charged 120 and the folks being inconsistent with information. I was deciding to get back under just to really learn the car. I built my first mustang. and had to do an economy car after it gave out finally. But now i'm back in another black beauty. I'm ready to get a proper garage together.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I can't remember the last time I paid someone to change my oil. It may have been never, and I've been wrenching on cars for over 25 years. Too many idiots out there that don't care, or don't know how to do a proper oil change. Ignoring the obvious (Using crappy oil, crappy filters, over/under filling)i t's using a impact wrench to buzz on the oil plug. Then they just slap some RTV on it, dump it full of oil, and it's your problem once you leave their parking lot. My shop class in High school had an engine from a teacher that had that happen. RTV broke off inside the engine, plugged up the sump, engine went dry and seized.

It's too easy and requires so little investment to not do it. I can do it in less than 10 minutes on a truck, and I can probably do it in 15 minutes on my Mustang...But I care, so I take my time.

The engineers that have the oil filter 2 feet away from the oil plug do deserve to have their head examined though.