Sponsored

Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Package Priced at $4,995

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The software costs more.than the hardware. It is not that you can get MR cheaper, is it tuned & engineered to work with the car.
The vendor supplies the control module. And a baseline. Ford punches in the weight of the car at each corner, the unsprung weight of each wheel assembly, spring rate and chassis frequency and wala, damping curve. Then they test and tune. The R&D is LONG since been done for the EB (MR for EB was available for 2018 cars) which is riding on the coat tails of similar tuning hours expended on the GT and 350. The unit cost of the software is ~zero. It's a lookup table just like the engine maps.

My point simply was that Ford is as usual publishing ridiculous surcharges for well established technology. Once something is figured out the unit cost is supposed to (and does) go down, by a lot! Which also means your profit margin jumps. Obviously it's Ford's prerogative to craft the packages to extract every dime they can. I just think it's unfortunate that they chose to hold the MR shocks hostage to the HPP engine package.
Sponsored

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
My '18 EBPP stickered for $42,270 - someone else's abandoned special order, so it came with Shaker and Enhanced Security that I would not have included on my order... call it $40,980. That's a lot of money for a 4-cyl, sure, but I like turbo 4's & this is my daily driver. Plus, I get to enjoy the premium content, lighter weight, great torque, lightning shifts, and amazing Magneride handling every single day. Sure, a base GT would cost less, but I wouldn't be enjoying the one perk of a base GT - 460hp - every day. That's just reality. On top of that, the handling would never be as nice as MR. There's a market for high-content nose-light Mustangs, but it's not going to be the seller that a base GT will be. That's just fine by me.
Which infotainment package do you have? My 18PP was also an abandoned special order that came with 101A so I got the larger screen, track apps and toggle switches (not sure about Shaker) + A10 + mageneride and that stickered for around 34K but I payed about 28K OTD after taxes and fees.

I did buy mine in April of last year so not sure if it was due to location or they were just trying to move it due to the unpopular option combo. It was perfect for me though because I loathe leather seats and it only cost me 2K for parts to do the digital dash swap myself.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The vendor supplies the control module. And a baseline. Ford punches in the weight of the car at each corner, the unsprung weight of each wheel assembly, spring rate and chassis frequency and wala, damping curve. Then they test and tune. The R&D is LONG since been done for the EB (MR for EB was available for 2018 cars) which is riding on the coat tails of similar tuning hours expended on the GT and 350. The unit cost of the software is ~zero. It's a lookup table just like the engine maps.

My point simply was that Ford is as usual publishing ridiculous surcharges for well established technology. Once something is figured out the unit cost is supposed to (and does) go down, by a lot! Which also means your profit margin jumps. Obviously it's Ford's prerogative to craft the packages to extract every dime they can. I just think it's unfortunate that they chose to hold the MR shocks hostage to the HPP engine package.
You can complain all day long how the PP2, Bullitt, HPP, GT350, GT500 are not worth it, because of magneride... but nobody is going to listen to you.

You don't value MR, so you complain about the costs.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You don't value MR, so you complain about the costs.
Say what? I drove 3 different Ford cars with MR (EB, GT, and 350). I own a MR car, it just says Chevolet on the side. The Ford tuning effort is only "ok".

My Mustangs (note plural) do not have MR because I went for PP1 and that's where I drew the line on price and I couldn't get the dealer to sell me a PP2 car for the price I wanted to pay back in January. Now that PP2 cars are everywhere and also nicely discounted I would buy one if I didn't already have a GT. I had a decent chance at a EB+MR and drove it back to back with my current EB. The cars were otherwise identical. The MR was better, just not enough and the dealer was more desperate to get rid of the car I bought. My suspension replacements are sourced from Steeda.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
It seems many have never driven, nor witnessed what a BMW 1M, 135, 135is, 235is, 240is, etc... can do! (-Or they don't want to admit it-)
I never said there was a 235is... (as you claim), only explained to you that I personally use it to mock BMW.. Because BMW lost their M-Division's heritage by plaster the ///M-badge all over the place.
You know, it's tough to come across as a bigger boob than the guy who claims he didn't say something, and who's then such a tool that he forgets to go back and astroturf it out from earlier in the same thread.

Sponsored

Deleted member

I keep seeing on every topic about this car on different websites, everyone thinks this car is going to have higher limits than the stock ecoboost. Ive said it before and ill say it again, THE LIMITS WILL BE THE SAME, Ford hasnt addressed the open deck block or the lack of material between cylinders number 2 and 3 behind the turbo. The casting is still the same, no matter what changes they made to the head or internals. The block still has the same limits, will you be able to get more power out of a tune with this car, yes because of the upgraded compressor wheel, intercooler etc, but the limits of the block remain.

I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that the block is different, because Ford has shown nothing to prove otherwise...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OK, so back to the Ecoboost High Performance Package. The reviews are coming in and they are excellent. Seems like most would prefer the handling package but concede that it is not absolutely necessary. The one thing no one seems to have a problem with is the cost. This car can and will stand on its own. No comparison to the GT is needed. This is a great car and does not need to apologize for anything. Bravo to the team that brought the HPP & HP to production.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I keep seeing on every topic about this car on different websites, everyone thinks this car is going to have higher limits than the stock ecoboost. Ive said it before and ill say it again, THE LIMITS WILL BE THE SAME, Ford hasnt addressed the open deck block or the lack of material between cylinders number 2 and 3 behind the turbo. The casting is still the same, no matter what changes they made to the head or internals. The block still has the same limits, will you be able to get more power out of a tune with this car, yes because of the upgraded compressor wheel, intercooler etc, but the limits of the block remain.

I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that the block is different, because Ford has shown nothing to prove otherwise...
Do you know for a fact that the Stock EB and the Spanish built RS blocks are identical?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does anyone have the official Ford paper order forms that shows all the breakout of standard vs optional equipment packages?

I have not seen it posted yet - unless I missed it skipping over the huge amount of “titfortat” jabs in this thread....

Deleted member

Do you know for a fact that the Stock EB and the Spanish built RS blocks are identical?
Yes id put my pink slip on it, the focus rs block still has an open deck, still has zero material between cylinders 2 and 3. It doesnt matter what application ford put the 2.3 in, the exterior casting material and open deck remain the same.

skip to 1:00 to see how weak and thin the material on the block is

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Yes id put my pink slip on it, the focus rs block still has an open deck, still has zero material between cylinders 2 and 3. It doesnt matter what application ford put the 2.3 in, the exterior casting material and open deck remain the same.

skip to 1:00 to see how weak and thin the material on the block is

Thank you. Great video explaining the weaknesses. You can keep your pink slip :like:

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A

This 100%. It's the same weak open deck block design. They are charging $5k for a slightly bigger turbo and a mild tune, which is ridiculous imo. I just don't understand the point of this car at all. The Handling package is nice, so I agree with those saying it should have been a separate thing altogether, or at the very least included in that insane $5k HPP price.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
This 100%. It's the same weak open deck block design. They are charging $5k for a slightly bigger turbo and a mild tune, which is ridiculous imo. I just don't understand the point of this car at all. The Handling package is nice, so I agree with those saying it should have been a separate thing altogether, or at the very least included in that insane $5k HPP price.
Let’s look at the costs this way

GT PP2 $6500.00
301a $2000.00
Total $8500.00

EBHPP $4995.00
EBHP $1995.00
101a $2000.00
Total $8990.00

Difference $490.00

That’s not bad for an engine that performs like this one does.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Let’s look at the costs this way

GT PP2 $6500.00 Includes 301a

EBHPP $4995.00
EBHP $1995.00 Includes 101a
Total $6990.00

Difference $490.00
Neither the PP2 or EBHP "includes" the x01a package. You have to pay for it. The math does net out. However I still have the option to save $810 if I just get a GT with 301A+PP1+MR. Yeah...

101A Equipment Group $2,000
EcoBoost® Handling Package $1,995
2.3L High Performance Package $4,995 (includes Active Exhaust)
Total in options. $8990

PP2 car
301A Equipment Group $2000
Performance Package - Level 2 $6500
Total in options: $8500

Now to get MR "by iteself" in a GT is also not possible. You are forced to accept 301A and PP1.
GT Performance Package $3995
MagneRide® Damping System $1695
Total in options: $7,690

For the $8990 upgrade the EB still doesn't get the 6-pot brakes the GT options come with. Indeed the EB is $400 more (after accounting for AE) then the PP1+MR GT and has nothing to show for it.

Either way MR shocks are not really a $1695 option, they are a $3695 option. If I wanted to spend that much to get MR I would rather have bought some Ohlins or other top-flight coilovers.

The HPP is the old EB/PP1 package plus some motor work (revised turbo, cam? internals?), and Active Exhaust. There is no cause to require another $2000 in the guise of 101A. Just noticed this - Active Exhaust doesn't require 101A but now AE requires the HPP. I guess Ford really, really wants to kill off the old 2.3 engine! Or steer lots of people to HPP and it's fatter margins.

Now maybe I was being a little too optimistic to think the MR could/should fit inside the HPP $5000 price point. It could if Ford wasn't gouging (over 100% markup) for options...

Make the HPP $6500 and INCLUDE the MR (and required 101A), and now we'd really have something. What is the damn point of a "performance" car if you don't address the suspension? It's the single, most important part!

Recast the Handling package as 9.5" square, dumb-ass factory Pirelli's (seriously why do people buy factory tires?) and the 6-pots. and that would make some semblance of sense.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Neither the PP2 or EBHP "includes" the x01a package. You have to pay for it. The math does net out. However I still have the option to save $810 if I just get a GT with 301A+PP1+MR. Yeah...

101A Equipment Group $2,000
EcoBoost® Handling Package $1,995
2.3L High Performance Package $4,995
Total in options. $8990

PP2 car
Performance Package - Level 2 $6500
Total in options: $8500

Now to get MR "by iteself" in a GT is also not possible. You are forced to accept 301A and PP1.
GT Performance Package $3995
MagneRide® Damping System $1695
Total in options: $7,690

For the $8990 upgrade the EB still doesn't get the 6-pot brakes the GT options come with. Indeed the EB is $1300 more and has nothing to show for it.
Your 100% correct regarding the 101a/301a. I corrected my post. But, there are other parts, like the Pirelli Corsa tires that eat into that $1600.00. At the end of the day, only a perspective buyer can decide if the performance warrants the costs. The rest of us can only argue, sorry, discuss the value. :like:
Sponsored