MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Found a good deal on Borla S-type GT axle backs. Combined with the Steeda x-pipe I already had, they are much louder. :) The x-pipe with stock mufflers was still pretty tame, but this combo is as much volume as I would ever want. The exhaust is much more noticeable in light acceleration, and then really comes to life at higher revs.

There is some drone in that familiar 1,900-2,000 rpm range, but only when accelerating lightly or putting a load on the engine going up a hill. Cruising on level surfaces, there is none at all.

Compared to YouTube sound videos of S-types with x-pipe, I think mine sounds slightly "ricier" but the cars in those sound clips had shorty headers. So the shorties do seem to sound a little better but it's not a huge difference.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of the GT owners I occasionally cruise with. Before they could never even hear me. :wink:

IMG_20190915_211939.jpg

Need to clean those fingerprints off my decklid.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I really want to swap mine for S-Types just to see what the difference is really like based on the great things I hear all the time. But I also love the tone of mine so I just can't see paying $250-400 for them just to change it a bit.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I really want to swap mine for S-Types just to see what the difference is really like based on the great things I hear all the time. But I also love the tone of mine so I just can't see paying $250-400 for them just to change it a bit.
Yeah, I agree. I suspect it would be just a little louder and raspier but overall pretty similar.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I love the sound of borla. Be nice to hear them once broken in, or are they used and broken in already? Any plans on shorty headers?

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I love the sound of borla. Be nice to hear them once broken in, or are they used and broken in already? Any plans on shorty headers?
They are new. Shorty headers are a possibility. Not sure it's worth it for just the sound change. I know they don't do much for performance.

Edit: I am kind of tapped out for a while on mods (including tolerance from the wife, lol). Sync 3, wheels/tires, springs/dampers, and exhaust over a few months. I think something fairly inexpensive like splash guards is probably next on my list.

Last edited:

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Understandable from the wifey perspective. Trust me I get it, lol. You do definitely get a performance bump using shorties with a you tune. The speed daddy's are cheap as shit and aren't bad quality. Of course it all comes together when u have everything from the intake, TB, manifolds, headers, amd full exhaust.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @cyclonetron, if you still think that Borla Atak catback is too quiet, an x-pipe will wake it up. :)

Miichaelo912

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6, 2017 mustang gt
Drone? Are you sure its drone? By the way, if anyone is interested i have borla atak mufflers for sale lol

Nejtan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V6 2015
Found a good deal on Borla S-type GT axle backs. Combined with the Steeda x-pipe I already had, they are much louder. :) The x-pipe with stock mufflers was still pretty tame, but this combo is as much volume as I would ever want. The exhaust is much more noticeable in light acceleration, and then really comes to life at higher revs.

There is some drone in that familiar 1,900-2,000 rpm range, but only when accelerating lightly or putting a load on the engine going up a hill. Cruising on level surfaces, there is none at all.

Compared to YouTube sound videos of S-types with x-pipe, I think mine sounds slightly "ricier" but the cars in those sound clips had shorty headers. So the shorties do seem to sound a little better but it's not a huge difference.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of the GT owners I occasionally cruise with. Before they could never even hear me. :wink:

IMG_20190915_211939.jpg

Need to clean those fingerprints off my decklid.
Do you have any video of cold start or accelerating, i have gt exhaust with sr x pipe, and thinking between borla by ford performance touring or sport.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any video of cold start or accelerating, i have gt exhaust with sr x pipe, and thinking between borla by ford performance touring or sport.
Here is a cold start. Not the best audio just as it fired up because my cell phone microphone was overloaded with a little too much volume at that moment.

Edit: I also had a revving clip but I'm not even going to post that. Microphone was too close to the car, lol. I'll have to try another one. Exhaust is subjective but overall it's about right for me. Still not loud compared to loud GT exhausts but a significant volume increase and tone change from stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some clips of the sound from inside the car. This was from last weekend's cruise with some other Mustangs. Lotsa fun!

Nejtan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V6 2015
Here are some clips of the sound from inside the car. This was from last weekend's cruise with some other Mustangs. Lotsa fun!

I love it! Now i know that have to get this axle back soon.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I love it! Now i know that have to get this axle back soon.
It sounded louder in person with the windows down. Also, there is sort of an "echo" that must be from the dashcam microphone.
Sponsored