Sponsored

What is your daily driver?

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
My point of saying coal/natgas-fired was not to play regional discrepancies or comparisons between power generation and tailpipe (though your stats lookup is appreciated) but rather to highlight that all this magically "clean" energy is largely sourced from those "dirty" generation facilities. And so skewering the "my farts don't stink" mentality of the obnoxious electric-car buyer.
I understood; what I'm saying is that your "skewering" is only valid in a handful of states (WV, IN, WY, and several others). Coal is down to 27% of total electricity generation nationwide.
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Those of you who dislike Tesla's need to drive one. They are incredible. Now that being said, I wouldn't want it as my only vehicle as I think it lacks emotion. For a daily I think it's the perfect car. Plus it's made in america.
Things you will never hear said about a Tesla.

Man that car has a wicked idle.
Rev it up and met me hear it.
What's it sound like with the headers uncapped?
Is it tuned on E85?
How much boost is it making?
It sure SOUNDS fast.
Are you running a big block?
Stick shift of auto?
What's the best sounding exhaust for my Tesla?
What oil should I run in my Tesla?
Does it come in a four cylinder?
Which one...X pipe or H pipe?

CodyO32689

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, MT-82, Oxford White | 2013 Infiniti G37x
Things you will never hear said about a Tesla.

Man that car has a wicked idle.
Rev it up and met me hear it.
What's it sound like with the headers uncapped?
Is it tuned on E85?
How much boost is it making?
It sure SOUNDS fast.
Are you running a big block?
Stick shift of auto?
What's the best sounding exhaust for my Tesla?
What oil should I run in my Tesla?
Does it come in a four cylinder?
Which one...X pipe or H pipe?
I'm not debating any of this. Which is why I said "I wouldn't want it as my only vehicle." But the fact that a Tesla has "fart mode" makes all of your points immediately invalid. I see a guy with a sense of humor and a hell of an idea so I applaud him for that.

TMully06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2017 F80 M3, 2020 Lincoln Navigator Black Label
I was waiting for someone to chime in with an F80 M3 as a daily, with winter tires. I always loved the M platform, and for a while I cross shopped the GT350 with an E92 M3 and F8x. If I had the money, I'd look into leasing one.

How does it compare to the Shelby?
It is a great daily (highly recommend it to anyone who needs 4 doors but does not need a truck / SUV)... can be pretty civil when suspension is in comfort, exhaust valves are closed (it has 4 doors for the kids!), etc... AND is is pretty hard core with everything in sport plus. I had a GT350 prior to getting the R... so it was closer to that, but the R is just another level of performance (especially cornering, obviously). The M3 does feel a decent amount faster in a straight line (published times are similar)... but the torque from the I6 twin turbo is impressive (so a lot more balls down low than the Shelby)

All of that said, nothing (at least under $100K) compares to the character and experience of an R (or GT350 for that matter).

Sponsored

ClarksGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 & 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I'm not debating any of this. Which is why I said "I wouldn't want it as my only vehicle." But the fact that a Tesla has "fart mode" makes all of your points immediately invalid. I see a guy with a sense of humor and a hell of an idea so I applaud him for that.
So laugh at it and quit taking it personal.:rockon:

Fart mode? Really? Now that is funny. The car needs gimmicks to promote sales I guess. I just put whoopy cushions in my couch.

Last edited:

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Whats the recharge time on that DD? Does it get good yardage per charge? Does it have Fart mode? LOL!
Actually I got the V12 twin turbo model!

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
It is a great daily (highly recommend it to anyone who needs 4 doors but does not need a truck / SUV)... can be pretty civil when suspension is in comfort, exhaust valves are closed (it has 4 doors for the kids!), etc... AND is is pretty hard core with everything in sport plus. I had a GT350 prior to getting the R... so it was closer to that, but the R is just another level of performance (especially cornering, obviously). The M3 does feel a decent amount faster in a straight line (published times are similar)... but the torque from the I6 twin turbo is impressive (so a lot more balls down low than the Shelby)

All of that said, nothing (at least under $100K) compares to the character and experience of an R (or GT350 for that matter).
The F80 M3 is very quick... There was a guy on Thompson speedway last year when I was tracking my GT350 track pack, in the same group as me.... I could not shake him loose on straights. He was filling my mirrors.
Corners ahead, we were pretty even, him getting closer on some and me losing him on others (obviously driver errors from both sides, I think). I was revving to 7500 rpm's trying to shake him off on the straight... no sir, he was actually gaining. Now I would not be surprised if he was also modded, so more boost than stock... but even so.

OP
OP
NJ2A

NJ2A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350

Awesome to hear. If circumstances were different (closer commute, not having to drive in poor winter weather, etc) I would probably look into the new G80 M3 since the F80's are being phased out. Hopefully they are similar, from what I've read it seems like BMW is keeping with the turbo I6, but also making an AWD M3, so that would be a benefit for daily driving.

Who knows though. Only thing for certain is that I do not want to get rid of my GT350, probably the best car I've ever owned.

tbr2001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I had a 2017 M3 Competition Package prior to my GT350R. The car is very fast but struggles to put its power down with stock tires. As a DD that won't bore you to death, I think it's a great option. You should be able to find a good deal on one as BMW made a bunch of them. I had the DCT and while not as engaging as a manual, it's fantastic.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like to drive my most fun car the most, so when I owned the GT350 it was my daily unless the weather was terrible. I had a set of snow tires for it for when it was too cold for the Pilot Super Sports.

Now I treat the Z06 the same way. I do own a pickup, but I only use it when I need it to haul, push snow around, etc. I can't stand driving a vehicle that is big, bulky, doesn't turn/accelerate/stop quickly and that doesn't have a manual transmission. I especially can't live with driving something like that for my daily commute to work. Feels like a soul killer to me.

I'm thinking about a Fiesta ST for the worst days of the upcoming winter, though. Not sure whether I will enjoy it, but at least it will have a manual transmission and be a relatively small car.

TMully06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2017 F80 M3, 2020 Lincoln Navigator Black Label
The F80 M3 is very quick... There was a guy on Thompson speedway last year when I was tracking my GT350 track pack, in the same group as me.... I could not shake him loose on straights. He was filling my mirrors.
Corners ahead, we were pretty even, him getting closer on some and me losing him on others (obviously driver errors from both sides, I think). I was revving to 7500 rpm's trying to shake him off on the straight... no sir, he was actually gaining. Now I would not be surprised if he was also modded, so more boost than stock... but even so.
Doesn't surprise me one bit! - do you know if it was a manual or DCT? Mine is DCT (so the wife can drive it :like:... she can't drive stick)... which would not be my first choice... but that is why I have the R! That said, the DCT is impressive on putting the power down, no noticeable disruption in power delivery. I have thought about adding more boost but it really doesn't need more power for a daily...
Sponsored