Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
  • Banned
I know this has been discussed, but I am just wondering how to read the dip stick on the GT 350. For example, right now at 700 miles, my dip stick is showing oil just barely covering the upper hole in the dip stick. I was told by a ford technician that as long as you got oil covering the square box with the cross hatch's you were ok. That box is just below the lower hole in the dip stick.

When are you guys having to add oil to your engine based on dipstick levels ?
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
I know this has been discussed, but I am just wondering how to read the dip stick on the GT 350. For example, right now at 700 miles, my dip stick is showing oil just barely covering the upper hole in the dip stick. I was told by a ford technician that as long as you got oil covering the square box with the cross hatch's you were ok. That box is just below the lower hole in the dip stick.

I did a little test once when I changed the oil. I put in 9 quarts, started the engine for a short while, then checked the dip stick: I found that the oil was at the bottom hole of the cross hatch area. Then I added the 10th quart and it came up to the top hole. So from my little test, I surmise the cross hatch area is roughly one quart. My car has never been below the top of the cross hatch area. So Iā€™m not burning any oil.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
  • Banned
I did a little test once when I changed the oil. I put in 9 quarts, started the engine for a short while, then checked the dip stick: I found that the oil was at the bottom hole of the cross hatch area. Then I added the 10th quart and it came up to the top hole. So from my little test, I surmise the cross hatch area is roughly one quart. My car has never been below the top of the cross hatch area. So Iā€™m not burning any oil.
very helpful. thank you.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

If the hole closest to the end of the dipstick has oil in it, you're fine - get on with the rest of your day. If the bottom hole doesn't have oil in it, add oil. The oil level will measure lower when the engine is cold, so a cold check might indicate "add" when a hot check might not. To handle this, because I check mine either way depending on what's happening on the day, my practice is to add 1/2 a quart if the lowest hole is exposed. If it's cold, then it won't be overfilled when it heats up, and if it's hot, the oil level will be back in the middle of the cross hatches.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
When I purchased my car used a 1509 miles I checked the oil and it showed that it was still between the hashmarks and added and half a quart. This before I learned not to add oil until it reaches below the bottom hole. At my first oil change shortly thereafter, after warming the car and letting it sit, 10 quarts was at the halfway point between the two holes.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
If the hole closest to the end of the dipstick has oil in it, you're fine - get on with the rest of your day. If the bottom hole doesn't have oil in it, add oil. The oil level will measure lower when the engine is cold, so a cold check might indicate "add" when a hot check might not. To handle this, because I check mine either way depending on what's happening on the day, my practice is to add 1/2 a quart if the lowest hole is exposed. If it's cold, then it won't be overfilled when it heats up, and if it's hot, the oil level will be back in the middle of the cross hatches.
From my understanding it would show more when cold due to the oil all being drained into the pan. and after running it would be distributed in the engine. i think the manual says to let it sit for 15min after running then check

When I purchased my car used a 1509 miles I checked the oil and it showed that it was still between the hashmarks and added and half a quart. This before I learned not to add oil until it reaches below the bottom hole. At my first oil change shortly thereafter, after warming the car and letting it sit, 10 quarts was at the halfway point between the two holes.
mine came from factory filled to top hole. when i check it warm or cold i dont see any noticeable difference.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
From my understanding it would show more when cold due to the oil all being drained into the pan. and after running it would be distributed in the engine. i think the manual says to let it sit for 15min after running then check

mine came from factory filled to top hole. when i check it warm or cold i dont see any noticeable difference.
Everybody seems to have a different experience. Back when I obsessed about keeping it full, it didn't seem to make a difference (as you are seeing) whether it was hot or cold. When it's lower on the dipstick, the warmer it is, the higher it reads. You're probably right about the drain-down, but the oil itself expands when it gets hot, and with 10 quarts, the amount it expands is considerable - enough to read higher on the dipstick.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Everybody seems to have a different experience. Back when I obsessed about keeping it full, it didn't seem to make a difference (as you are seeing) whether it was hot or cold. When it's lower on the dipstick, the warmer it is, the higher it reads. You're probably right about the drain-down, but the oil itself expands when it gets hot, and with 10 quarts, the amount it expands is considerable - enough to read higher on the dipstick.
its hard to confirm that when what i have seen contradicts what youre saying. i check mine regularly, sometimes early morning before work and sometimes in the evening a few minutes after getting home. never see a difference on the dip stick. always at top hole

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
its hard to confirm that when what i have seen contradicts what youre saying. i check mine regularly, sometimes early morning before work and sometimes in the evening a few minutes after getting home. never see a difference on the dip stick. always at top hole
I don't think there's a contradiction - when I was keeping mine at the top hole, and there was no difference hot or cold, just like you're seeing. What I've found, now that I run it lower down the dipstick (and mine consumes a quart every 1500 - 2000 miles so it works its way down) and down at the low end of the dipstick, hot or cold does make a difference. It can read just above the lowest hole cold and later it's maybe a third of the way up into the crosshatch hot without adding oil.
Sponsored