Sponsored

Cracked R carbon wheel

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
and if I had been considering a 500 or a new Fiesta ST (which I had), I am not now.
With the reach of social media I wonder if a "Guys, I paid the premium for warranty. Do you *really* want to piss me off that not only do you lose a customer for life, but I raise holy hell on Twitter/FB over your failure to deliver?" It's probably a good idea to write a strongly worded (but professional!) letter (yes, printed out with pics) to the head of Ford Performance, and Ford CEO and CC the head of Customer Service. Send them certified.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Update on my end. Field warranty engineer, guy by the name of Mike, said "impact damage, not covered under vehicle warranty." Of course, the wheel and tire warranty company is saying "not impact damage; that's a manufacturing defect and therefore not covered under the road hazard warranty." So I have two warranties with two groups pointing fingers at each other, and I'm holding the bag. Time to escalate in other ways, I guess. Not happy at all, and if I had been considering a 500 or a new Fiesta ST (which I had), I am not now.
Sorry to hear all this and for sure time it is time to run this one up the flag pole and hope that some common sense prevails between Ford and the tire warranty company in order to get this issue resolved for you.

:sunglasses:

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
That is impressive covering of bases. Well done.
3 years of law school...

I donā€™t practice law but at least the $100k in tuition may have saved a wheel. I have also had plenty experience with shady warranty dealings. if it doesnā€™t, the warranty company will wish they had just paid out.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Sorry to hear all this and for sure time it is time to run this one up the flag pole and hope that some common sense prevails between Ford and the tire warranty company in order to get this issue resolved for you.

:sunglasses:
I agree, and a bubble in the wheel like this is probably not a impact damage the wheel warranty would cover, but imho something the car warranty should under manufacturing defect.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I agree, and a bubble in the wheel like this is probably not a impact damage the wheel warranty would cover, but imho something the car warranty should under manufacturing defect.
Re. law school - I was going to ask. My wife is an attorney; I should turn her loose on this.
Escalation underway, so we'll see where this goes.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€œUpper managementā€ did a final denial on my warranty claim on the wheel, and the dealer will not help either despite putting in writing only if tires were chorded would the deny the claim. Iā€™m going to pick the wheel up in a day so two when I get home, try to talk to the financial and general service manager, and next up is a lawsuit. I could care less suing the warranty company but it sucks im going to have to jointly sue the dealership as well. Iā€™m presuming they may refuse to service my car after this, but this is not acceptable.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
This is a shame, sorry to see anyone have to go through this nonsense

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer offered to pay my $1k deductible if I file an insurance claim on the wheel. I rejected this as I have 6 cars, of which two are exotics, and can only imagine the premium surcharge from a claim would erode most of all of the cost savings.

Need to check for arbitration provisions when I get home, but will be sitting down with an attorney to file suit or arbitration if required by next week. This is going to be a long headach that neither I nor they are going to end up wanting. Going over my emails, I have 3 confirmations regarding tire tread not mattering on the cup 2s, specifically ā€œso long as they are not chorded,ā€ from the service manager, salesman, and financial service manager in charge of signing up the third party warranties (the last is who offered the above deal). They stated they ran the vin with the warranty company to confirm everything. I highlighted the limiting language to them all precisely and confirmed at the end that I would go forward with the $1,080 warranty now that it was confirmed tread would not be an issue on Cup 2 so long as they were not chorded. I have no idea why they think they have grounds to fight this.

Picking up the wheels tomorrow, need to get a retail quote printout from parts on the wheel.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm amazed (well not) that Ford is being this stupid about something that costs somewhere around $4000 (or less). Even if they had to 'comp' a wheel to every 'R' owner (ie. 25% failure rate) there's but 2000 of them. That's only $8 million. You can't tell me Ford doesn't have contingency/recall funds already set aside from which they could draw.

I don't know if leveraging the BBB would get you anywhere.
I would still present my case to the office of the CEO and see if that gets any traction. The vast majority of the "policy" decisions are made by know-nothing bureaucrats who are handed a script and prohibited from deviating from it despite the plainly stupid and avoidable consequences. Fear, intimidation from Accounting and Legal et. al. is what keeps the American drone paper-pusher safely ensconced within his cubicle.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To update this 5 month long saga, I finally got a check for $6,500 last week in the mail. The warranty company was incredibly scammy to deal with and literally was committing fraud. I did retain an attorney to get involved and eventually their counsel admitted they were 100% in the wrong on many games they were playing and offered to pay full retail of the wheel and a tire per my dealers quote.

to top off the bad faith, they sent a check for $5k for no apparent reason and we had to get a replacement Check for the actual $6500.

it was a horrible experience but I eventually got paid properly with a check and have coverage for 3 more years and now have written assurances from their attorney this bullshit will not happen again regarding tire tread on cup 2 tires denying a cf wheel claim. They tried to buy my warranty back for the $1100 I paid, I declined and offered it to them at another $6500 which they declined, so I have it for 3 more years.

This whole experience Makes me want to go ripping down the pot hole ridden MI winter streets and see if I can blow out a side of wheels and send them a new bill. (Joking!)

the one good thing is I do see these wheels are ā€œon saleā€ from $3400 -$4k now (plus tax and shipping) so Iā€™ll get to put some Settlement cash toward more tires. I think I can still get a pristine used set of 4 for $8500 or so, but want to find a buyer for a front or rear wheel before then (as I already have a spare set, just missing one rear now). If you are looking for a full set or one cf wheel please PM me and we can see if we can work something out.

eta: if they did not pay up or refused to settle before a court decision, we were going to follow up with a class action for fraudulently selling this contract on a wheel package that has no coverage from the start given the tread exclusion language (see earlier in this thread for details). I kinda wish we would have done this instead of settling but Iā€™m over this issue and am happy with check in hand.

switchijg to snowmobile season now, car is parked for awhile until next season

Sponsored
OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer took a chunk out of my passenger front carbon wheel getting my car off the hoist. They are ordering a replacement for me, but initially said that I donā€™t have the right to keep the old/damaged part. Does anyone know if this is true (in Michigan)??

I donā€™t see anything in the law that says just because a dealer is covering the cost of the replacement (bc they damaged the original) that this extinguishes my right to keep the original:http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(os...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-1333

27EED1D5-E2B9-477F-AE77-BA62342EBC94.jpeg

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer took a chunk out of my passenger front carbon wheel getting my car off the hoist. They are ordering a replacement for me, but initially said that I donā€™t have the right to keep the old/damaged part. Does anyone know if this is true (in Michigan)??

I donā€™t see anything in the law that says just because a dealer is covering the cost of the replacement (bc they damaged the original) that this extinguishes my right to keep the original:http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(os...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-1333

Man... that's why I never ever trust anyone with my car.... I just replaced tires on my M3 and the guys doing the job (which did my GT350 wheels before , not the R, the track pack; and they did a flawless job back then) absolutely destroyed my M3 rims... chunks of aluminum ripped off the side... just horrible job.
I am at a loss on some of the horrors happening out there.. Now I am fighting with this guy's insurance to buy /replace my 2 front wheels for the M3 which he destroyed...

Damn.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If you get to keep the original, let me know if you'd Ike to sell.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)

Donā€™t know if this applies here but Ford is known for having body shops return damaged parts to squash remanufacturing their OE parts.
Wheels may fall under that same premise, I donā€™t know.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I usually stay out of this type of thread. That being said, if the dealer replaces your wheel on their dime, which in essence is buying you a new wheel, why would you think you should get to keep the original that was damaged? If they let you keep it, thatā€™s at there discretion and being nice. Itā€™s no different then you totaling your car and your insurance car replacing it, and you driving off in your new car and then saying I want my totaled car as well.

Sponsored