Sponsored

Possible Link between 2018 Engine Rattle and GT350's

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The gasoline DI systems are only a couple thousand psi, and nowhere near as noisy as diesel 2000+ bar systems. I do development for diesel, and work next to the guys developing the gasoline systems. I have the rattle, and I know it isn’t the pump. That said, I don’t doubt the new system may be a contributing factor.
MMMM port injection system at 58 psi and it makes noise. No matter what pressure is fuel system can make noise from opening and closing of injectors. Even get noise from high pressure pump too.

Removed engine cover, remove foam covers over fuel rails and see how noisy they are. Then put foam covers back on over fuel rails and see noise reduction.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
MMMM port injection system at 58 psi and it makes noise. No matter what pressure is fuel system can make noise from opening and closing of injectors. Even get noise from high pressure pump too.

Removed engine cover, remove foam covers over fuel rails and see how noisy they are. Then put foam covers back on over fuel rails and see noise reduction.
Sure, but this is an entirely different noise. It isn't uniform like the pulse of an injector or rotation of a pump (pump piston noise). As I said, I have been in development for years. I have heard all manners of injector and pump noise. This sounds more like a loose component in the valvetrain or engine gear layout.
If it is the HP fuel system, then I still wouldn't say it is normal. There are cars that don't make the noise, and many like mine that develop it over time. My company was one of the first to offer direct injection gasoline system, and we have put out many different systems over the years. None of our equipment develops specific noises or rattles over time, unless they are damaged. Our injectors and pumps that come back with 100k+ miles sound exactly the same as the new ones, as long as something isn't wrong inside.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Sure, but this is an entirely different noise. It isn't uniform like the pulse of an injector or rotation of a pump (pump piston noise). As I said, I have been in development for years. I have heard all manners of injector and pump noise. This sounds more like a loose component in the valvetrain or engine gear layout.
If it is the HP fuel system, then I still wouldn't say it is normal. There are cars that don't make the noise, and many like mine that develop it over time. My company was one of the first to offer direct injection gasoline system, and we have put out many different systems over the years. None of our equipment develops specific noises or rattles over time, unless they are damaged. Our injectors and pumps that come back with 100k+ miles sound exactly the same as the new ones, as long as something isn't wrong inside.
You missed my point they all make noise. Don't care if it's port or direct injection they make noise. Just because of things you worked on don't mean this system CAN'T. Seen so mean things that do something they shouldn't but do from engine, fuel systems to Electrical. It can be combo of noises coming together sounding as one. I've been there with this one chasing chassis vibration. Without any test equipment to isolate where noise is at we're just pulling pins on hand grenade and hope it doesn't exploded AKA GUESSING

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
You missed my point they all make noise. Don't care if it's port or direct injection they make noise. Just because of things you worked on don't mean this system CAN'T. Seen so mean things that do something they shouldn't but do from engine, fuel systems to Electrical. It can be combo of noises coming together sounding as one. I've been there with this one chasing chassis vibration. Without any test equipment to isolate where noise is at we're just pulling pins on hand grenade and hope it doesn't exploded AKA GUESSING
I didn't pay $42k for a car to just wait for the engine to explode. I am already working with a couple gasoline engineers at work to isolate the noise. We have better test equipment than most Ford dealerships, who are pretty much guessing with this issue. We don't have anything official from Ford corporate or engineering to give confidence that the noise is normal. As an engineer, I want to know why it occurs and why some don't have the issue. I am personally not confident in the engine right now, as I don't know the root cause.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I didn't pay $42k for a car to just wait for the engine to explode. I am already working with a couple gasoline engineers at work to isolate the noise. We have better test equipment than most Ford dealerships, who are pretty much guessing with this issue. We don't have anything official from Ford corporate or engineering to give confidence that the noise is normal. As an engineer, I want to know why it occurs and why some don't have the issue. I am personally not confident in the engine right now, as I don't know the root cause.

Why does it matter price of the car like it that matters so much. I work things cost far more than that in the end it don't matter. Doesn't make you more important than person who paid 20k. Noise doesn't mean it's going to fail either. Many of early 4V cars made valvetrain noise and never failed. Both of my 04 Mach1's made noise never failed or got worst. That mean my 70 mach 1 with mechanical cam going to blow too. One 18 I heard didn't sound like valvetrain was too fast noise was.

Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
omg has this goddamn shit moved to this section of forums as well?..i just ran an 11.66 with the freaking rattle and the tick.. some idiots refuse to accept as normal...the noise sucks it sounds TERRIBLE but its NORMAL, get the fuck over it or don't go direct injection and be slow and quiet..holy shit sorry for profanity but please move on or blow your engine up an prove me wrong

Last edited:

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
The rattle isn't the fuel system. It may be related to it in some way. I have worked with diesel and gasoline DI systems for years, and this isn't a noise I have ever heard before.
which double overhead cam direct injection system with fuel pump on valve cover ford engine do you have experience with? enlighten me

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
which double overhead cam direct injection system with fuel pump on valve cover ford engine do you have experience with? enlighten me
We don't supply the Ford fuel system for this car. But I am not sure why one has to have specific experience with this application in order to properly investigate. We have plenty experience similar Euro auto applications. The funny thing, is that even Ford doesn't have much experience with this layout.

omg has this goddamn shit moved to this section of forums as well?..i just ran an 11.66 with the freaking rattle and the tick.. some idiots refuse to accept as normal...the noise sucks it sounds TERRIBLE but its NORMAL, get the fuck over it or don't go direct injection and be slow and quiet..holy shit sorry for profanity but please move on or blow your engine up an prove me wrong
If you don't like the topic, don't open the thread. No one said the engines will blow. There is nothing wrong with being cautious or curious with a brand new engine design. Only a fool would have blind confidence in something they don't understand. Let's not pretend Ford (or GM or Dodge) always has a good grasp on manufacturing or quality issues. How long did it take for them it admit this one? https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...arranty-fix-for-focus-rs-head-gasket-failure/

Last edited:

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
Wow, this sounds exactly what's going on with my 2018. I'm hearing a knock or rattle at light acceleration, but typically at higher accelerations everything is fine. I had just posted a thread about my issues this morning. Has Ford confirmed this as of yet with the 18's?

AnalogDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT – 6MT, 401A
Wow, this sounds exactly what's going on with my 2018. I'm hearing a knock or rattle at light acceleration, but typically at higher accelerations everything is fine. I had just posted a thread about my issues this morning. Has Ford confirmed this as of yet with the 18's?
Around 2-3k RPM? It's normal.

Sponsored

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
Around 2-3k RPM? It's normal.
It happens during light to moderate acceleration (1200-1500 RPM). When I go to higher RPM's it actually goes away and gets better.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
My 2012 GT had the BBQ tick and cold rattle from new. It did well over 100 quarter mile passes at the track, plenty of roll racing, saw over 160mph multiple times, and overall was driven hard (how it was designed). I changed the oil every 7500 miles, and had a tune on the car since like 10k miles. It was still running as strong and as well as new when I traded it in at 166k miles. People make too much of a big deal over some noise.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
i think if every coyote made noise it would be fine to label it as a characteristic of the engine, but alot of these coyotes do not make noise, including mine, so it is a cause for concern, nom sayinn