GT 350 just got crushed by the C8

Status
Not open for further replies.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
You are so Fing funny if the c8 is a good performer then I will give it it's due until then it's all BS

It performs. It’s not the end all, be all some are hyping. But she’s a screamer. Weight, profile, and junk in the trunk traction. I don’t think they’ve gotten the handling totally down yet, but she handles. It’s a car to be respected.

It’s a bit of a bait and switch though. Base car price and 0-60 are the attractions. But that car gets smoked on the street, strip, and track. We need more real info on higher tier models.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Is it possible that some of you might be setting the bar a little too high for the first year C8s? This is the Base Vette and the Z51 Vette we are talking about. The only thing that either of them has to do is outperform the C7 Base Vette and the C7 Z51 Vette. That is it. If the C8 outperforms the C7 Grand Sport in everything then that is a bonus. If it can manage to beat the C7 Z06 at anything then that is even more of a bonus. But let's keep it in perspective. It is a $59,995 and $64,995 Vette with 495 hp that will be on a mid engine chassis. I wouldn't expect ground shaking results just yet. Because if it doesn't deliver to those expectations then is it a failure? They only have to outperform their individual previous Gen trim to be deemed "worthwhile". The fact is that most of us believe the C8 will be extremely awesome. And that is dangerous because if it is merely very good then you might be disappointed. Remember, this is not the Z06 and ZR1 we're talking about. Now those cars I expect will shake the ground.

Having said all that I do think the Base C8 might beat cars like the B-GT500, GT350R, ZL1, GTR, and others on the track. In the quarter mile I do think we will see 11.3 or faster. And this is all in a car that will cost under $60,000. The Z51 will be slightly better than the Base C8 around a track. But I do agree that we need to see it in action before we start coming up with ideas that it will be a game changer for now. If it does change things then that will be the Z06 and ZR1. I expect really great things but in a reasonable way and nothing outrageous. All we can say for sure is that the mid engine design is superior, the DCT is superior, and the Vette is in a new category. How far into that category it goes remains to be seen.

Also GM felt that the Vette was limited in it's front engine design but that was based off the ZR1. The lower trims like the GS and Z51 could have still made improvements. So it is safe to say that the entry level C8s are not going to leap frog the C7 ZR1 and C7 Z06 just because. That probably won't happen for a few Generations. But the higher trims are what we should expect to reach levels that were unattainable for the front engine Vettes.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Is it possible that some of you might be setting the bar a little too high for the first year C8s? This is the Base Vette and the Z51 Vette we are talking about. The only thing that either of them has to do is outperform the C7 Base Vette and the C7 Z51 Vette. That is it. If the C8 outperforms the C7 Grand Sport in everything then that is a bonus. If it can manage to beat the C7 Z06 at anything then that is even more of a bonus. But let's keep it in perspective. It is a $59,995 and $64,995 Vette with 495 hp that will be on a mid engine chassis. I wouldn't expect ground shaking results just yet. Because if it doesn't deliver to those expectations then is it a failure? They only have to outperform their individual previous Gen trim to be deemed "worthwhile". The fact is that most of us believe the C8 will be extremely awesome. And that is dangerous because if it is merely very good then you might be disappointed. Remember, this is not the Z06 and ZR1 we're talking about. Now those cars I expect will shake the ground.

Having said all that I do think the Base C8 might beat cars like the B-GT500, GT350R, ZL1, GTR, and others on the track. In the quarter mile I do think we will see 11.3 or faster. And this is all in a car that will cost under $60,000. The Z51 will be slightly better than the Base C8 around a track. But I do agree that we need to see it in action before we start coming up with ideas that it will be a game changer for now. If it does change things then that will be the Z06 and ZR1. I expect really great things but in a reasonable way and nothing outrageous. All we can say for sure is that the mid engine design is superior, the DCT is superior, and the Vette is in a new category. How far into that category it goes remains to be seen.

Also GM felt that the Vette was limited in it's front engine design but that was based off the ZR1. The lower trims like the GS and Z51 could have still made improvements. So it is safe to say that the entry level C8s are not going to leap frog the C7 ZR1 and C7 Z06 just because. That probably won't happen for a few Generations. But the higher trims are what we should expect to reach levels that were unattainable for the front engine Vettes.
Using that logic, perhaps we are setting the bar too high for the first year 500 as well. Since it can get much better too. But it’s performance is already pretty dang awesome - using the hints available to the public.

That said, I believe you are definitely on the right track. It’s the best GM can engineer - right now. It’s new, it’s different, and the principles learned from getting the C7 to best it could possibly be don’t perfectly translate to the new layout. In three years, the car will likely be what they dreamed up in the lab.

The higher tier models will have a higher tier price tag and performance level.

The base Vette is only being hurt by ridiculous Hype from trolls thinking they are doing it a favor.

Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Using that logic, perhaps we are setting the bar too high for the first year 500 as well. Since it can get much better too. But it’s performance is already pretty dang awesome - using the hints available to the public.

That said, I believe you are definitely on the right track. It’s the best GM can engineer - right now. It’s new, it’s different, and the principles learned from getting the C7 to best it could possibly be don’t perfectly translate to the new layout. In three years, the car will likely be what they dreamed up in the lab.

The higher tier models will have a higher tier price tag and performance level.

The base Vette is only being hurt by ridiculous Hype from trolls thinking they are doing it a favor.
Perhaps the bar is being set a little high for the GT500 since people want it to beat the ZL1-1LE as well as the Redeye in their respective area of expertise. Maybe the GT500 will likewise be very good but won't be this super spectacular car that people want it to be. Would there be anything wrong with that? Is it bad if carbon fibre version can outperform the ZL1 but not the ZL1-1LE? Is it bad if it can beat a Hellcat in the quarter mile but not the Redeye? It will still be a very fast high performing car and there is nothing wrong with that. But people want these cars to do all these things because they have some grudge or are in some competition that does not affect them (except for their pride). People need to reassess what is possible for these cars to accomplish. I think we will see some very good cars and that is enough to make me happy.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Theeeee only saving grace thus far preventing the GT500 being a severe case of day late dollar short is the DCT trans. That will make of break the GT500 in terms if its worth it or not.

That too I dont doubt will be subjective but I will say at least Ford can claim the first in something.

1st of the 3 "pony cars" with a DCT.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Perhaps the bar is being set a little high for the GT500 since people want it to beat the ZL1-1LE as well as the Redeye in their respective area of expertise. Maybe the GT500 will likewise be very good but won't be this super spectacular car that people want it to be. Would there be anything wrong with that? Is it bad if carbon fibre version can outperform the ZL1 but not the ZL1-1LE? Is it bad if it can beat a Hellcat in the quarter mile but not the Redeye? It will still be a very fast high performing car and there is nothing wrong with that. But people want these cars to do all these things because they have some grudge or are in some competition that does not affect them (except for their pride). People need to reassess what is possible for these cars to accomplish. I think we will see some very good cars and that is enough to make me happy.
Agree 100% however 1 other aspect you didnt cover. COST!! You start getting into 90k + and 6 figures drastically changes the competition to pick from. Hell 6 figures gets you into Porsche territory.......

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That too I dont doubt will be subjective but I will say at least Ford can claim the first in something.

For what its worth.
Agree 100% however 1 other aspect you didnt cover. COST!! You start getting into 90k + and 6 figures drastically changes the competition to pick from. Hell 6 figures gets you into Porsche territory.......
Yes in due time the carbon fibre GT500 will be compared to cars in it's own price category. But first up it will have to take on the ZL1. That is what all the wait is about. They can't just skip over the Camaro. But it is true that people will want to compare cars in the same price category to see what their money can buy. I'm not sure how well the GT500 will do at that point against other cars that cost over $90,000.

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I originally started this thread stating that the C8 crushed the 350 and 59 pages later there is a whole lot of back and forth about some very silly arguments to realistic questions. Even though the C8 is not out yet it's a pretty sure foregone conclusion that it easily out performs a 350 for the same or equal money. OK let's say ( pretend ) that we are not sure yet because it's not out yet. The ZL1 1LE is out and from what I can see cost and performance wise it definitely without a shadow of a doubt destroys a 350 and 350R. I am not a hater or troll I own or have owned 14 mustangs and loved them all. My favorite car is a 1969-70 Mach I. The truth is the Truth and Ford needs to step up their game to keep the high end Mustangs competitive. I don't think the base Mustang market is effected as much but as it's price keeps creeping up there could be a problem there too.

Sponsored

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
I originally started this thread stating that the C8 crushed the 350 and 59 pages later there is a whole lot of back and forth about some very silly arguments to realistic questions.
And you obviously aren't a troll AND own 2 Mustangs. None the less you came into 'sacred ground" and attempted to intelligently point out the obvious. So much shame. So much shame.....:whew:

Last edited:

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea it is definitely not a troll post. It is posted in the VS section. The only thing that might make it look like a troll post is that the title instead of asking which one would be superior just flat out states that the GT350 got crushed. I would have worded it differently but that's just me. The thing is that the GT350 has been out for a long time already. So if any Corvette was going to be paired up against it then that should have been the C7s. Mainly since they were both out at the same time. But that would also be like saying it isn't fair to pair the GT500 against the ZL1 since the ZL1 has been out for a long time and it already got paired up against the GT350R. So it goes both ways. The biggest problem is that Ford increased the pricing of the GT350 and GT350R so that now the C8 is cheaper than they both are. If the performance was increased dramatically then the price bump is justified. If not then I'm not sure what Ford's thinking is. Maybe they were not aware that the C8 would be priced this low. For me the Shelby offerings are not appealing these days due to the price in comparison to the performance I can get elsewhere for the same money. Others may feel different but I'm not spending their money.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Yea it is definitely not a troll post. It is posted in the VS section. The only thing that might make it look like a troll post is that the title instead of asking which one would be superior just flat out states that the GT350 got crushed. I would have worded it differently but that's just me. The thing is that the GT350 has been out for a long time already. So if any Corvette was going to be paired up against it then that should have been the C7s. Mainly since they were both out at the same time. But that would also be like saying it isn't fair to pair the GT500 against the ZL1 since the ZL1 has been out for a long time and it already got paired up against the GT350R. So it goes both ways. The biggest problem is that Ford increased the pricing of the GT350 and GT350R so that now the C8 is cheaper than they both are. If the performance was increased dramatically then the price bump is justified. If not then I'm not sure what Ford's thinking is. Maybe they were not aware that the C8 would be priced this low. For me the Shelby offerings are not appealing these days due to the price in comparison to the performance I can get elsewhere for the same money. Others may feel different but I'm not spending their money.
I'm thinking the GT 350 will still sell good because it's the only thing left offering a manual. If it's sales are down good bye any manuals going forward.:crying:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Theeeee only saving grace thus far preventing the GT500 being a severe case of day late dollar short is the DCT trans. That will make of break the GT500 in terms if its worth it or not.

It’s not a saving grace though. It’s a main feature. And one of the reasons for the price.

The DCT is to the 500 as the FPC is to the 350.f

It’s a selling point.

Take the DCT out of the C8, Veyron, GTR, etc. and they suffer as well.

but no one is saying “if not for that silly DCT, those cars are trash.” LOL
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.