Sponsored

DAMMIT!! got the clickety-clack st 2k rpm @ 4K miles!!

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Too much worrying going on with this noise or that noise, These are high performance engines- not Swiss watches. Drive it like you stole it, if it fails you have warranty.
Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
If you have your exhaust in quiet mode and no radio on at exactly 2k you will loudly hear the DI if you are very light on the throttle. You can reproduce in in at least 2, 3, and 4th gears. Not tried the others.
Why would you ever have your exhaust on quite mode... anything less than sport and SMcQ has to kill a baby duck.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I got the knock at 2800 km. traded the car in at bmw for an M4. much happier now.

OP
OP
Ronin47

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG BULLITT K4675 2020 INFINITI Q50 RS 400
I got the knock at 2800 km. traded the car in at bmw for an M4. much happier now.
Well some DI implementations may be quiet or they may be noisy. Itā€™s a matter of preference and whether you mind tolerating the noise. I find the noise annoying because it sounds like the valve train when itā€™s not. However, it doesnā€™t make me want to go to another manufacturer of a car that doesnā€™t make a noise when clearly there is nothing wrong with the existing vehicle. Itā€™s under warranty as others have mentioned so I am going to drive it like I stole it.

Ronin47

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Iā€™ve had 6 di cars already. The noise was not di noise. It was a knock that sounded exactly like both my 01 z28 ls1 and 02 ss with an ls1 made when cold on startup until warm. The ls1 was famous for it but it was accepted as normal that GM decided to play it safe with tolerances. I made several videos and used a stethoscope to pin point the noise to the bottom end. Ultimately I was upset I traded my 15 GT in. Not only could I not get over the awful 18 fascia but the knock was not something I was willing to deal with. I despise dealerships and have no value for warranty. I debated building a full long block for the amount I was going to lose on trade in but given itā€™s my daily I couldnā€™t afford the downtime.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
If I was worried about mechanical or electrical issues I'd never touch a German car. I've literally had many BMW employees(including their mechanics) tell me the same, and had many friends and families VW's take a shit on their power trains.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
If I was worried about mechanical or electrical issues I'd never touch a German car. I've literally had many BMW employees(including their mechanics) tell me the same, and had many friends and families VW's take a shit on their power trains.
Didnā€™t intend to make it a bmw vs ford discussion but for ā€˜meā€™ Iā€™m happier with the decision. The M4 gives a lot more room for the growing kids, surprisingly gets me about 100miles more to a tank while being faster (very similar in performance) and has a better diff for me since I plan to winter drive it. I had an e46 M3 for 5 years and nothing went wrong with it besides a fuel filter for $28 that solved a 4th gear wot limp mode around peak torque rpm. I do all my own work and diagnosis so not too worried about the M4.

At least with this car I donā€™t have to worry about third gear breaking on me or the engine spending months in service for shortblock or longblock replacement and all the associated issues that come along with inexperienced people working on the cars that simply donā€™t give 2 ^##*s about it. I debated a gt350 but they can eat a lot of oil and have their own issues. The Torsen it has is useless in snow and inclement weather and itā€™s even worse on gas. Iā€™ll be waiting patiently for Fords update/revision to the s550.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'm just saying you complain about a tick noise then get in a brand known for engine problems, mostly on their turbo cars and M line. Its like having a Focus ST, complaining about gas so you got a Charger SRT8.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I'm just saying you complain about a tick noise then get in a brand known for engine problems, mostly on their turbo cars and M line. Its like having a Focus ST, complaining about gas so you got a Charger SRT8.
Iā€™m not complaining. Just informing about my experience. Itā€™s not a tick. Itā€™s a Knock. Thereā€™s a difference and it was diagnosed and clear. I didnā€™t complain , I acted and I got rid of it. I felt it was the best action for me given my options and I made the most of it. And your comment about a brand known for engine problems mostly on turbo cars and M line .. care to elaborate ?

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Iā€™m not complaining. Just informing about my experience. Itā€™s not a tick. Itā€™s a Knock. Thereā€™s a difference and it was diagnosed and clear. I didnā€™t complain , I acted and I got rid of it. I felt it was the best action for me given my options and I made the most of it. And your comment about a brand known for engine problems mostly on turbo cars and M line .. care to elaborate ?
I own a '19 Bullitt and an '18 440xi with a Dinan tune and suspension. Both are great cars, but different as chalk and cheese. This is BMW #17 for me, but my first Mustang. I've never had a serious problem with any of the BMW drivetrains; 6 of the Bimmers were M cars and 4 have been twin turbo.

The Bullitt "scratches an itch" the BMW's haven't for a while, but probably won't remain in our stable after the '20 RS6 Avant shows up.

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
At the dealership we had the hood open and revved the engine and still you could hear the injectors. I can hear the injectors in all gears especially when you are at a constant speed or applying slightly more load to the pedal when increasing speed.
Is it the injectors or is it the DI pump? They do have some sort of nice little noise absorption material formed around it. I posted a video in the "issues" forum of mine at idle making a pretty significant noise(not the same as the 2k but just pointing out that it is making noise). I just wonder if what we here sometimes is the DI pump around that RPM. IDK, just suggesting it as a possibility.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I think the clickety-clack is what you get after you've been with an adventurous lady friend.

SVTchris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1993 SVT Mustang Cobra, 2004 SVT F-150 Lightning, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
I think the clickety-clack is what you get after you've been with an adventurous lady friend.
Close but pretty sure that is the clickety-clap. LOL

OP
OP
Ronin47

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG BULLITT K4675 2020 INFINITI Q50 RS 400
Is it the injectors or is it the DI pump? They do have some sort of nice little noise absorption material formed around it. I posted a video in the "issues" forum of mine at idle making a pretty significant noise(not the same as the 2k but just pointing out that it is making noise). I just wonder if what we here sometimes is the DI pump around that RPM. IDK, just suggesting it as a possibility.
Wow. It sounds like a Mack diesel. I am going to have to pinpoint it now but I think thatā€™s the noise.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST