jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Yes, I have a Mishomoto catch can, I empty it every 2-3 months. I've never opened the DV, just lubed it and installed it according to the instructions. IIRC, the manufacturer didn't have any recommendations for regular maintenance. But now you guys are making me curious, and maybe when I have a chance I'll pop it open to see how it's holding up.
That would be great if you could check that and post a pic of the o-ring, let us know how it's holding up. It's really hard to tell when some feedback might be negative for some other reason. Maybe they didn't lubricate it well when initially installed and didn't want to admit it.

It's great to hear you have a CC also. I was worried maybe you didn't and the extra blow-by was what was keeping yours oiled. Thanks for the info! I'll still wait to hear/see results of inspection.
Sponsored

Deleted member

That would be great if you could check that and post a pic of the o-ring, let us know how it's holding up. It's really hard to tell when some feedback might be negative for some other reason. Maybe they didn't lubricate it well when initially installed and didn't want to admit it.

It's great to hear you have a CC also. I was worried maybe you didn't and the extra blow-by was what was keeping yours oiled. Thanks for the info! I'll still wait to hear/see results of inspection.
A catch can for our cars will stop oil from getting into the intake manifold, it wont do anything for the DV, but that being said if you have blow by getting in your charge pipes you have other problems.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The hissing is normal and is in the calibration for a few reasons. If you’re going to keep the stock valve, upgrade to the GFB unit like the others have suggested.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The hissing is normal and is in the calibration for a few reasons. If you’re going to keep the stock valve, upgrade to the GFB unit like the others have suggested.
Thanks Justin, I'm leaning that way but just hung up on a couple things. Some say it gets rid of that constant hissing, some say it will always be there no matter what. Some say you have to take it apart and oil it every 5-10K miles, some say never oil it...

I REALLY don't want to have to pull the thing out, take it apart and oil it all the time and then not sure if it's even going to do anything with that hissing. It's a turbo, I know it needs to bleed off but it can literally just keep hissing for minutes (no exaggeration) under the right load conditions. I find myself giving it the gas and then just letting off just to get it to stop...

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Thanks Justin, I'm leaning that way but just hung up on a couple things. Some say it gets rid of that constant hissing, some say it will always be there no matter what. Some say you have to take it apart and oil it every 5-10K miles, some say never oil it...

I REALLY don't want to have to pull the thing out, take it apart and oil it all the time and then not sure if it's even going to do anything with that hissing. It's a turbo, I know it needs to bleed off but it can literally just keep hissing for minutes (no exaggeration) under the right load conditions. I find myself giving it the gas and then just letting off just to get it to stop...
If you truly want rid of the hissing, get a charge pipe upgrade kit, like the CVF, and run a mechanical BOV. Get the Turbosmart BOV plug thing (can't remember the official name) that tricks the PCM to make it think you're still running the stock valve and it'll work beautifully without the annoying hissing.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I've been living with this since the car was new (2015) thinking it might be normal but thought I'd ask. Under very steady light load, between 6 in-Hg and 6 PSI, I get this very constant hissing which sounds like probably the BOV. This is my first tubo car, used to SCs. That will persist until I let off the gas or accelerate taking the vacuum/boost out of that range. Is that normal or is it possible my BOV is just weak or something?
The hiss is Ford’s answer to the twin scroll turbo making a little too much boost at light throttle, Bleeding a little boost off to tame the acceleration a bit and keep the rpms up slightly for engine response. Remember the eco is marketed as the base engine choice now and meant for the average consumer not the performance nuts like us, so they poked it a little to make it driver friendly.
In the performance side of the world a hiss on a turbo application is power not being used.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The hiss is Ford’s answer to the twin scroll turbo making a little too much boost at light throttle, Bleeding a little boost off to tame the acceleration a bit and keep the rpms up slightly for engine response. Remember the eco is marketed as the base engine choice now and meant for the average consumer not the performance nuts like us, so they poked it a little to make it driver friendly.
In the performance side of the world a hiss on a turbo application is power not being used.
I'm not saying that's not the case, I just don't understand. It would make sense to me if i was getting it under light boost but I'm even getting it while still in vacuum, 6 in-Hg. Like you said, to me it seems like a waste. Don't bleed it off, use it.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not saying that's not the case, I just don't understand. It would make sense to me if i was getting it under light boost but I'm even getting it while still in vacuum, 6 in-Hg. Like you said, to me it seems like a waste. Don't bleed it off, use it.
That is probably a side effect of Ford’s electronic boost control and the fairly cheap design on the stock diverter valve. Do you have to change it? Absolutely not. If you're modding the car for power, then yes.
Personally I don’t like diverter valves, I always swap for a BOV, but then the tune usually needs to be addressed for it all to work correctly.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Ya I just get it under light throttle, or early throttle for a sec or two before it gets to higher boost the. Goes away. I figure the car pulls hard. Feels good, I'll worry about it when something goes wrong. I still have a warranty so f it lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I'd imagine just about everyone installs the DV+ with the main spring right? I can't see giving up the boost hold, it sounds like that's a big part of the benefit. Can anyone describe the sound difference? Why would they think people wouldn't like the sound change? It's not like it sounds good stock.

War-Machine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1, Shadow Black
I would suggest checking your PCV connectors at both the throttle body and the intake tube, as I just recently had an intermittent hissing problem. I thought it was all the charge pipes due to clamp issues with damaged clamps not holding, but had an incident this week where the throttle body PCV connector popped off. I was getting solid hissing while idling and in vacuum. It would mostly go away when pressure reached 0 and into the first few pounds of boost. Once popping back in place, it was instantly much better. Could be working its way loose.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
So I'm reading about this GFB DV+ and they say you have to take it apart and oil it periodically?
Kroil...

If you treat your internals (away from the seals) with some penetrating fluid, works wonders for years. These valves snort & pop and take a lot of abuse and temperatures. In industry, we treat our hp valves with penetrating oil. Soak the springs over night, etc. Wipe down completely and install dry (even though it feels wet).
Sponsored