Oil change warning?!

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Car was serviced in March and has done 3000 miles since and today its telling me to change the oil?!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member

Car was serviced in March and has done 3000 miles since and today its rolling me to change the oil?!
Im sure that the oil life reset in your center screen probably wasn't reset. It doesn't do it for you and it can't detect fresh oil from dirty oil. Its basically a timer that accounts for miles driven, engine speed and load. It factors all those together and give you your oil life percentage. Ford says you can go the full 100% and then change, i say thats a load of crap. Mine gets down to about 50% life left at about 5000 miles, so theres no way in hell id ever go 10k between oil changes.

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Thanks for the information! I actually checked the oil on sat before the light came on and it's up to the level on the dipstick and golden brown. Was a ford service as well so guess I either reset it to turn it off or just leave it until I need it servicing? I was thinking about changing the oil myself in another 2000 miles. Dont fancy attempting the oil filter though. Any recommendations for oil?

Deleted member

Thanks for the information! I actually checked the oil on sat before the light came on and it's up to the level on the dipstick and golden brown. Was a ford service as well so guess I either reset it to turn it off or just leave it until I need it servicing? I was thinking about changing the oil myself in another 2000 miles. Dont fancy attempting the oil filter though. Any recommendations for oil?
I don't know if the oil life reset can be switched on or off i could be wrong. I'm sure if you only have 3k miles on the oil that the oil is just fine right now. Personally I've always changed my own oil, its easy and saves me money. I can't give you the best advice on oil being that i have a ecoboost and you have a 5.0, but im sure the 5.0 guys can chime in and help you with that one.

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
Car was serviced in March and has done 3000 miles since and today its telling me to change the oil?!
Assuming you have had previous services/oil changes, what has the previous behaviour of the IOLM been?

Ford don't say 10000 miles between oil changes, it is 10000 miles between scheduled services. They say separately to change the oil when the IOLM indicates. They indicate that this can be anywhere between 3000 and 10000 depending on how the car has been driven, climate, etc. So if you have driven it hard and spent a lot of time in traffic jams, it could be a valid warning.

It does seem as though the average oil life is turning out to be 6000 miles, (i get that with fairly moderate driving). Quite a few are reporting much less.

There are many other oil life threads on this and other forums. Personally I think we are getting oil change warnings at seemingly low mileage because it is an American car and they have historically set 3000 miles as the standard interval. They don't have the competitive pressure to sell into the fleet market where long oil life is a clear benefit.

The appearance of the oil isn't conclusive. Its good that it is a clear colour but this isn't an indication whether the oil hasn't started to break down.

Sponsored

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Really appreciate your help. Well bit more information, they oil life says 4% so I doubt it's been reset since new. Whars weird is I bought the car after its was serviced and checked after 300 miles and it was around 70 percent life. So maybe its faulty.

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Last service was March this year. One before that I believe was dec 17. Both ford services. Not sure if it's related but it's done this twice now when the car is cold I pull out of the drive 50 yard s upvthe road i get to the junction and the revs bounce from just under 500 to 1000 and back again. Pull out on the road drive as normal and it never does it again. Weird

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
Last service was March this year. One before that I believe was dec 17. Both ford services. Not sure if it's related but it's done this twice now when the car is cold I pull out of the drive 50 yard s upvthe road i get to the junction and the revs bounce from just under 500 to 1000 and back again. Pull out on the road drive as normal and it never does it again. Weird
So your current warning isn't time related then.

The previous service interval was long at 15 months.

A cold engine should be idling at 1000rpm or more I would say. When at normal temperature it is set to be 680rpm I believe. Shouldn't be less than 500 when cold or any other time

You may have an engine sensor fault?

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I'll just check the service dates and come back to you. Its su k low mileage for a 3 year old car the previous owner I guess didnt see the point having her done every 12 months. I'd say she sits at 680 when warm and just under 1000 when cold. Only done it twice, checked faults with a obd2 scanner and nothing showing. It is booked in for her first mot and has warranty so I'll mention it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Ok apart from the pdi it was serviced dec 17 at 3283 miles and march 19 at 5702 miles car has 8800 on now

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Ok so an update to this, when the car went in for the EVAP core they said oh sorry sir the oil monitor must not have been reset. So they did this at 9020 miles last Oct. Im am on 10700 and show 50% life left? Only reson I checked as I am doing a early service tomorrow. So it seems my oil lasts 3000 miles roughly?This just does not seem right, its barely 5k since the last service in March 19. The oil is still golden?!

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Just reset it mate in the console its common that it reports you need to change oil

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Just reset it mate in the console its common that it reports you need to change oil

I don't do a great deal of miles/year, less than 5k. Mine defaults to the yearly setting or seems to. But the yearly warning tends to come up about a month before the date the module responsible for the warning was built. ie car was built in Feb, ECM module or whatever was built in Jan, warning comes up in Dec, got car mid May.

Ford reset with their computer, rather than the console last year when car was in for service, mid May.

Oil life warning came up in Dec again.

Just reset it, unless you do mega miles.
Sponsored