Precision-Turbonetics NX2 turbo EcoBoost build thread

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
For the 410-420 numbers posted above, are those seen with a very aggressive tune?.
You would have to ask your tuner, he will see your datalogs and tell you if your local fuel will support more power and how close you are to not being able to get more power out of it.
Sponsored

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
You would have to ask your tuner, he will see your datalogs and tell you if your local fuel will support more power and how close you are to not being able to get more power out of it.
I hoping Charles can shed some light on this. He’s seen numbers in that range with the NX2. Plus we use the same tuner

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
It is so amazing that we push so hard for anything over 350 whp, and GT's are getting 450 whp stock? E85,longtubes and a tune make 500whp.
Our cars are strong with full bolt on's indeed, but only compared to cars of yester-years.

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should have got a GT, but I'll stick with what I have. I am so done with payments! Hopefully someday I can build a stroker!
I must say though....that the Nx2 is becoming so much more fun to drive vs the stock Turbo with E30

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Between what I paid for the car and the upgrades, I could have bought a GT. It would have been a little faster and sound better than my EcoBoost but I'd be paying more for insurance and gas.

Sponsored

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tune revision 6th and WOT is feeling nasty.

Part throttle sucks once the car warms up and I think I have found my problem just waiting for my tuner to review my data logs.

When driving causally there is a major dead spot in 3rd gear. The car shifts into 3rd, slowly reaches 2200 rpm and with a little throttle it seems as if the torque converter locks up and I start losing rpm when more throttle is given the tachometer falls all the way to 1700s and I am fighting something keeping me from accelerating unless I really apply throttle. This has been going on I believe since I installed the turbo and became even more noticeable with the big exhaust. The drone!

I should have let my tuner know, but I wasn't really sure if it was all in my head, until I captured a few logs. Always discuss issues with your tuner!

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've noticed some oil spots on the ground and oil under the car when I changed it. I believe it's coming from where the oil drain line connects to the bottom of the turbo. That thing was kind of a pain to work with because you can't see it but I thought I got the line in right and tightened enough. I tightened it a little more this morning. Did anyone find an easier way to connect that line? After I installed it I was thinking it might have been easier to remove the whole line then connect it to the bottom of the NX out of the car then connect the other side after the turbo was in.

Second thing that isn't really related to the NX is I noticed the bung plug is no longer in my cold side pipe. I've noticed the car has sounded different lately. Kind of a whistling sound and the BOV hasn't been as noticeable. I was thinking there is a leak somewhere. All of the pipes looked good when I checked before. I noticed the plug gone while I was tightening the drain line.

I guess the good thing about noticing that plug missing is I didn't realize I bought pipes with a bung there. I never considered using meth so it wasn't on my radar. I've been giving it serious thought lately. One to lower intake temps and for additional fuel. I guess I won't have to buy a cold side pipe if I do.

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which option would make more power? E30 or 93 w/ meth?

I’ve been researching alternative fuels over the last few weeks. Haven’t looked into ethanol much because an online search didn’t show any stations closer than 30 miles away so I’ve been leaning towards meth instead. I just found that a station a few miles away has E85 so I'm really thinking about running E30. I'll have an ethanol percentage tester tomorrow and requested a tune from Ryan to see what's it like. Still thinking about meth through. Or, I can run E30 then spray a 50/50 mix for cooling.

Thoughts?

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50/50 mix will not gain much after talking with Ryan. He recommends pure Methanol. Using pure methonal is hard on the pump and fittings. I guess the o-rings swell and dry out. They will leak in the winter supposedly because the tubing shrinks. The pump and related items need to be inspected periodically and replaced every 2 years. This is what I have gathered from the Buick guys. I am still bothered by the fact that if something fails boom. For max power Methanol is the way to go cost wise.
I am at this point looking at port injection
E50.

The big question is when are we truly satisfied? I went with the Nx2 for E30 power with pump gas. I want that 400 magic number with out fueling. Unfortunately, it is necessary. We really only have a few options and the best one is port injection imo. High pressure fuel spraying on the back sides of the intake valves will help to keep them clean. Also with port injection, fuel atomization and delivery won't be a factor. Downsides to port Injection is initial cost and sourcing Ethanol fuel. Not to mention mixing.
Methonal is cheap and works. It will not effect your fuel mileage and works only when hitting boost. My methonal kit is just waiting for a nice day and we shall see how it goes.

Last edited:

Deleted member

Which option would make more power? E30 or 93 w/ meth?

I’ve been researching alternative fuels over the last few weeks. Haven’t looked into ethanol much because an online search didn’t show any stations closer than 30 miles away so I’ve been leaning towards meth instead. I just found that a station a few miles away has E85 so I'm really thinking about running E30. I'll have an ethanol percentage tester tomorrow and requested a tune from Ryan to see what's it like. Still thinking about meth through. Or, I can run E30 then spray a 50/50 mix for cooling.

Thoughts?
E30 all day, i did the AEM WMI kit before i got my E30 tune. The meth made a difference, but holy crap the E30 woke the car up so much more, especially on the top end. IMO if i had to do it again i wouldve just gone E30, but its nice to have the option to run meth when i dont have access to ethanol. Just make sure you never run meth while you have ethanol in the tank. Water/meth and ethanol dont play nicely together and dont mix as well as meth/pump gas.

Sponsored

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
E30 all day, i did the AEM WMI kit before i got my E30 tune. The meth made a difference, but holy crap the E30 woke the car up so much more, especially on the top end. IMO if i had to do it again i wouldve just gone E30, but its nice to have the option to run meth when i dont have access to ethanol. Just make sure you never run meth while you have ethanol in the tank. Water/meth and ethanol dont play nicely together and dont mix as well as meth/pump gas.
its the water they dont like

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought I'd be all set after doing a few bolt-ons then full bolt-ons then after doing the NX2. Now I tell myself "Just one more noticeable performance mod". I think I was expending more from the turbo upgrade than I got. Granted there is a very noticeable difference and I'm happy with how the car feels but I thought I'd see closer to 400hp. Ryan said the car was making about 360 with my previous tune. It didn't like a lot of boost when it was hot out and intake temps approached 120. Temps are cooling off so I asked for a tune that's a little more aggressive. E30 should get me to the power level I've been looking for. Seems to be the number most people aim for until they want more :)

I didn't know about not using methanol/water with ethanol. I was looking ahead to next year and figured I could do that to insure the intake temps stay cool (maybe a 50/50 mix) while having the extra horsepower from E30. Scratch that idea.

What do you do with the water/ethanol mix in the tube after testing it to see the % at the pump?

Deleted member

I thought I'd be all set after doing a few bolt-ons then full bolt-ons then after doing the NX2. Now I tell myself "Just one more noticeable performance mod". I think I was expending more from the turbo upgrade than I got. Granted there is a very noticeable difference and I'm happy with how the car feels but I thought I'd see closer to 400hp. Ryan said the car was making about 360 with my previous tune. It didn't like a lot of boost when it was hot out and intake temps approached 120. Temps are cooling off so I asked for a tune that's a little more aggressive. E30 should get me to the power level I've been looking for. Seems to be the number most people aim for until they want more :)

I didn't know about not using methanol/water with ethanol. I was looking ahead to next year and figured I could do that to insure the intake temps stay cool (maybe a 50/50 mix) while having the extra horsepower from E30. Scratch that idea.

What do you do with the water/ethanol mix in the tube after testing it to see the % at the pump?
Lol im bad and just dump the test mix in the trash can :bandit:. My local station that carries E85 constantly tests between 75-85% ethanol and i usually test once a month. That being said im not running E30 in every tank.

Its crazy how much power is pulled when the charge air temps get over 100*.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
So Ive posted a couple of these before, but here is another Virtual Dyno output now that Ive added a bigger intercooler (Mishimoto to Whipple) and a Mishimoto Catted Downpipe with a 3" connection to my MBRP catback, which yes was cut to make that happen.

Stock was everything in my garage except Stock turbo, stock DP, Mishimoto Intercooler. I also switched out my old Mishimoto catch can for a UPR one.
NX2-2 is the same as stock, except for NX2 turbo added
NX2 - IC DP is the current mods in my garage link.

As you can see, it really opened up the top end. I did a track day last weekend and really loved it.

Turbooooo.PNG
Sponsored