Sponsored

Aluminum spacers on steel subframe (BMR CB006) - Issues?

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I was looking into the pros and cons of the front chassis brace designs from BMR and Steeda - it seems the BMR's design mounts higher and does not scrape. A huge advantage and its a pretty clever design. The cons of this design is the spacer sometimes is difficult to insert and align due to the stamping protrusions from the subframe bolt holes.

One design choice I'm puzzled with - they chose to include aluminum spacers in the steel subframe (Vs poly or even coated aluminum or steel). I get why they are including spacers here, these will prevent the subframe from deforming when tightening the bolts. It's the mixing of dissimilar metals that is odd - this can cause galvanic corrosion, especially in an area that is subject to road salt, moisture etc.

Additionally, a metal spacer is likely to scratch/gouge the black corrosion protection off the subframe during insertion. Any insights @BMR Tech ? Is this common in the aftermarket?

Instructions - https://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/CB006.pdf
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking into the pros and cons of the front chassis brace designs from BMR and Steeda - it seems the BMR's design mounts higher and does not scrape. A huge advantage and its a pretty clever design. The cons of this design is the spacer sometimes is difficult to insert and align due to the stamping protrusions from the subframe bolt holes.

One design choice I'm puzzled with - they chose to include aluminum spacers in the steel subframe (Vs poly or even coated aluminum or steel). I get why they are including spacers here, these will prevent the subframe from deforming when tightening the bolts. It's the mixing of dissimilar metals that is odd - this can cause galvanic corrosion, especially in an area that is subject to road salt, moisture etc.

Additionally, a metal spacer is likely to scratch/gouge the black corrosion protection off the subframe during insertion. Any insights @BMR Tech ? Is this common in the aftermarket?

Instructions - https://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/CB006.pdf
I've not installed it, so I don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if this were true to the extent that you'd get down to bare metal. The e-coating would prevent the galvanic corrosion between the two parts.