Sponsored

Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Package Priced at $4,995

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I won't be trading in my 15 EB/PP for a 2020 EB/PP because I don't track the car, and don't give 2 shits and rats ass if it's faster than a BMW m-whatever or as fast as a 15-17 GT. I do put more weight on handling and the price tag is too high at an extra 7k total for the PP+handling package.

This may come as a shock to some, but there is more to life than my car is faster than yours.
Ah, don't worry about w3rkn, he doesn't even use all the gears. He thinks anyone that shifts all the way through the gate is an idiot. I bet a Fiesta 4 banger would beat his M235LGBTQ. Oh wait, let me guess, this isn't a racing thread. My bad!
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Ah, don't worry about w3rkn, he doesn't even use all the gears. He thinks anyone that shifts all the way through the gate is an idiot. I bet a Fiesta 4 banger would beat his M235LGBTQ. Oh wait, let me guess, this isn't a racing thread. My bad!
upload_2019-9-16_21-22-18.jpeg

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Most people will notice, when driving the v8 and the turbo back to back... is how agile (& light on it's feet) the ecoboost feels. There is no mistaking it.

The Gen3 Coyote is putting out 480hp... the new HPP should match the Gen2 Coyote's torque curve pound for pound. So it should be a compelling car on the streets and in "darty" situations.

I want to know more about the engine. What does $5k get you?

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
lol...

And yet, in the manual corvette, it actually makes you skip gears (and locks out part of the gate). You are soooo butt hurt on not knowing how to drive, it is saddening for all to read. Automatics do the same (skip gears)… why can't you? It's because, you've told us you can only sequentially go through gears, because that is all you know..? (*laugh laugh*).

Is that^ good enough of a strawman for you.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
lol...

And yet, in the manual corvette, it actually makes you skip gears (and locks out part of the gate). You are soooo butt hurt on not knowing how to drive, it is saddening for all to read. Automatics do the same (skip gears)… why can't you? It's because, you've told us you can only sequentially go through gears, because that is all you know..? (*laugh laugh*).

Is that^ good enough of a strawman for you.
upload_2019-9-18_11-56-2.gif

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
IMO the HPP is an exercise in fleecing people who are incapable of rationally calculating performance-improvement per dollar. I wonder how much money Ford slipped Jalopnik to state "the HPP/HPO version is the one to get".

Per the official published numbers:
330 horsepower
350 lb.-ft. of torque
but are those figures wheel or crank? Conveniently Ford doesn't bother to say.

which compares to the existing 2018+ EB+FP tune on 93 octane of
280 HP (as high as 300?) and 350 TQ (380?) at the wheels give or take. So the HP gains are essentially all at the top where the original EB's torque fell off a cliff past 5000 RPM.

The rest of the package is the old Perf Pack1 so lets say the net cost of the revised turbo and engine is $2500 - ignoring for the moment that the PP1 add-ins don't remotely cost as much as 2500.

So we're looking at $50-$80/HP improvement. That's not preposterous, but also not exactly a bargain. Plus to extract any value you've have to regularly utilize the higher RPM band.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
The only thing I'm not clear on is if Magneride is available without the HPP? Like others, I like my EB and its responsiveness and the fuel economy, and can live without the Coyote growl (I get my fill in my F150 Coyote), but Magneride could make all the difference in handling without the other PP features.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I'm not clear on is if Magneride is available without the HPP? Like others, I like my EB and its responsiveness and the fuel economy, and can live without the Coyote growl (I get my fill in my F150 Coyote), but Magneride could make all the difference in handling without the other PP features.
No that's a part of the handling package. But it includes the active exhaust which seems pointless in a ecoboost.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
if Magneride is available without the HPP?
if the ford build+price tool is anything to go by, no. Now maybe that's a programming error. Call your dealer's ordering rep and see if they can put a valid config together that doesn't also include HPP and Handling packages.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
IMO the HPP is an exercise in fleecing people who are incapable of rationally calculating performance-improvement per dollar. I wonder how much money Ford slipped Jalopnik to state "the HPP/HPO version is the one to get".

Per the official published numbers:
330 horsepower
350 lb.-ft. of torque
but are those figures wheel or crank? Conveniently Ford doesn't bother to say.

which compares to the existing 2018+ EB+FP tune on 93 octane of
280 HP (as high as 300?) and 350 TQ (380?) at the wheels give or take. So the HP gains are essentially all at the top where the original EB's torque fell off a cliff past 5000 RPM.

The rest of the package is the old Perf Pack1 so lets say the net cost of the revised turbo and engine is $2500 - ignoring for the moment that the PP1 add-ins don't remotely cost as much as 2500.

So we're looking at $50-$80/HP improvement. That's not preposterous, but also not exactly a bargain. Plus to extract any value you've have to regularly utilize the higher RPM band.
I think you might want to relook at this.
The 2019 PP was $2495. Add in the active exhaust which is part of the HPP for $895. so the balance is now $1605. Considering you are getting a totally revised engine it does not seem like Ford is fleecing anyone. Also add in a few bucks for the upgraded rear valance for the quad tip exhaust.
Regarding the HP & torque ratings, Ford, to my knowledge, has always been at the flywheel, not at the wheels.
Lastly the available torque, as per Ford, 90% of available torque from 3,000 rpm to the redline. This could/should be huge.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
But it includes the active exhaust which seems pointless in a ecoboost.
John, you own a Roush GT of course it would be pointless to you. :) But having come from an EB and hearing the active exhaust I can tell you it is not pointless.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
John, you own a Roush GT of course it would be pointless to you. :) But having come from an EB and hearing the active exhaust I can tell you it is not pointless.
yeah I don't need no stinking quiet mode. I meant as far as loudness and needing a quiet mode. My girl has a Explorer with ecoboost and it isn't loud at all. Are they loud on the Mustangs ecos?
Sponsored