Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
All

I take my 2017 to the dealer tomorrow to address the engine knock

The car is a 2017 with 8,000 miles and zero warranty history and is bone stock. I want to make sure this gets handled in a prompt manner with no run around so I can get a replacement engine (assuming I have a rod knocking)

Can some of you who have been through this tell me what to expect and how you resolved any road blocks .

Thank you very very much
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Read through the below thread and that should be a good place for you to start.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/replaced-voodoo-engine.104010/
Great resource, thing is nearing 100 pages though.

Keep in mind, mine was oil consumption issues. Brought my car back to them after the 500mi marker in the morning. They measured and verified there was indeed oil consumption issues, paperwork was submitted by end of day. Approved the next day, and new motor arrived the day after that.

Once the motor arrived, field engineer wanted the service tech to pull the oil pan and make sure there were no signs of abuse. For this process, it took about 2-3 days from tech doing it, to field engineering giving the final green light.

Took 2-3 days for install.

All in all, a little over a week.

OP
OP
Rubyred17

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Great resource, thing is nearing 100 pages though.

Keep in mind, mine was oil consumption issues. Brought my car back to them after the 500mi marker in the morning. They measured and verified there was indeed oil consumption issues, paperwork was submitted by end of day. Approved the next day, and new motor arrived the day after that.

Once the motor arrived, field engineer wanted the service tech to pull the oil pan and make sure there were no signs of abuse. For this process, it took about 2-3 days from tech doing it, to field engineering giving the final green light.

Took 2-3 days for install.

All in all, a little over a week.
Well I dropped my car off at a local dealer that has a decent reputation for working (best I could find). The dealership itself has a pretty impressive array of Mustangs, including a 350 and an R model. I asked the service writer if any of the techs had experience with a GT350 and he told me that they had replaced "a few" engines over the past year and the tapping connecting rod was no surprise. The bad news is that its going to take them a week to get to it and I had to leave it there so I had a place in line. They promised to store it in their "gallery" where they keep higher end cars (but I will swing by tomorrow and check on it- trust but verify)

So now I am wondering if all the replacement engines are indeed Gen2s with all the upgrades and if they are pre-built or already built and waiting. Anyone know? If I am going to go through this I want the full monty !!

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
My engine came next business day after it was approved, I was worried it was a leftover pre-2019 engine, but it is indeed a 2019 R Motor

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Yes 2019 R motor with the upgrades. I have a 17 and had my engine replaced due to #3 and #7 rods letting go.

OP
OP
Rubyred17

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My engine came next business day after it was approved, I was worried it was a leftover pre-2019 engine, but it is indeed a 2019 R Motor
Thank you- I take great joy in knowing that other guys are worried about the same thing- my wife just rolls her eyes !

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
How did you determine that it is a 2019 R motor? I am picking up my 2018 with a new engine in the morning and I'd like to know what I have.

Thanks,
<TED>

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Take the driver side plastic valve cover off and look at the white sticker with the engine code on it. It will tell you which model it is and when it was made and what number it is.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Take the driver side plastic valve cover off and look at the white sticker with the engine code on it. It will tell you which model it is and when it was made and what number it is.
Thanks. That's helpful!

<TED>
Sponsored