Sponsored

Car shut off on i-85 in Atlanta. Steering Assist Fault Service Required (which fuse is it??)

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
While on the interstate yesterday cruising at about 80mph, my car suddenly locked the brakes for a split second (almost like accidentally downshifting into the wrong gear) and turned off. Thankfully I was able to get in the emergency lane in time.

However, the car will not turn back on and I constantly get a "Steering Assist Fault Service Required" light. I towed the car to the dealership and arranged a rental car, but I'm extremely curious about what the issue is. My windows will not roll back up (it's at the dealership with trash bags over the windows), but the lights come on in the car. I've tried jumping it with a portable jumper and another vehicle but no luck.

I have run across a few different posts and people referring to a fuse that could potentially be going out -- but which fuse is it? No one has given any information on the fuse and I cannot tell by looking at the fuse diagram.

Here are some other posts for reference:
Does anyone know what fuse it is? I have to make a trip back to the dealership to try getting my suitcase from the trunk and grab a few other items. Right now, the battery is disconnected with electrical tape around the end of the connector.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Checkout this YouTube video. Just cross reference the Focus fuse box to the Mustang.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
Dam this sucks. Another way over complicated cars are a hazard. I'm subscribed

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You might go ahead and file a report on this experience with the NTSB. Having a car shutoff on the interstate is unacceptable in any form. The weird braking makes it even worse. It sounds like you handled it great but other might not have your skill and quick decision ability.

I hope you get a resolution from Ford and a clear cause.

These situation completely shatter confidence in a vehicle.

Sponsored

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Electric steering just sounds dangerous. Turns out it very well may be.
Yes, this has always been a strong point in the argument against the electronic steering craze aside from lack of road feel.
Definitely file a report with NTSB

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Deleted member 35786

While on the interstate yesterday cruising at about 80mph, my car suddenly locked the brakes for a split second (almost like accidentally downshifting into the wrong gear) and turned off. Thankfully I was able to get in the emergency lane in time.

However, the car will not turn back on and I constantly get a "Steering Assist Fault Service Required" light. I towed the car to the dealership and arranged a rental car, but I'm extremely curious about what the issue is. My windows will not roll back up (it's at the dealership with trash bags over the windows), but the lights come on in the car. I've tried jumping it with a portable jumper and another vehicle but no luck.

I have run across a few different posts and people referring to a fuse that could potentially be going out -- but which fuse is it? No one has given any information on the fuse and I cannot tell by looking at the fuse diagram.

Here are some other posts for reference:
Does anyone know what fuse it is? I have to make a trip back to the dealership to try getting my suitcase from the trunk and grab a few other items. Right now, the battery is disconnected with electrical tape around the end of the connector.
Here is the link if you wish to file a complaint. Always a good idea to document this IMO.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Sponsored
OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Thanks guys. Checked the fuse and nothing is wrong. Waiting to hear what Ford is going to say tomorrow.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well - now there’s (2) immediate issues of concern where if the item fails - it renders the car into failure mode while driving - which is a huge freaking safety issue...

Not only is the OP in this situation, but others have experienced the brake pedal switch failure, which also throws the car into failure mode at any point while driving....

See here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...near-pedal-failure.122100/page-2#post-2602817

—
Didn’t the Ford Engineers and Software programmers go a step further to put in code “IF X fails at cruising speed THEN” so the vehicle owner isn’t put into a dangerous situation? I mean cruising on most major highways isn’t as easy as getting off of them especially during such a failure event... and the damn folks doing the same speeds or higher behind that failing car don’t have any idea as to why the driver suddenly lost power....

OP keep us updated as to what the Service Center finds. DEFINITELY file an NHTSA complaint.

There was this earlier thread from months ago about the same issues with cars just powering off while driving:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/car-shutting-off-while-driving.109296/

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Well - now there’s (2) immediate issues of concern where if the item fails - it renders the car into failure mode while driving - which is a huge freaking safety issue...

Not only is the OP in this situation, but others have experienced the brake pedal switch failure, which also throws the car into failure mode at any point while driving....

See here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...near-pedal-failure.122100/page-2#post-2602817

—
Didn’t the Ford Engineers and Software programmers go a step further to put in code “IF X fails at cruising speed THEN” so the vehicle owner isn’t put into a dangerous situation? I mean cruising on most major highways isn’t as easy as getting off of them especially during such a failure event... and the damn folks doing the same speeds or higher behind that failing car don’t have any idea as to why the driver suddenly lost power....

OP keep us updated as to what the Service Center finds. DEFINITELY file an NHTSA complaint.

There was this earlier thread from months ago about the same issues with cars just powering off while driving:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/car-shutting-off-while-driving.109296/
Thanks so much man and will do. Ford told me they'd have an update to me today or tomorrow. I tried filing a complaint yesterday and it gave me an error, so I'm going to try again. You're definitely right about the safety part of it too man. Had I been going i-285 north in Atlanta rather than i-85 south, it could have been disastrous. Trying to cross over all of those lanes to get to an emergency lane would have caused a HUGE backup and I might have gotten knocked to TN by an 18 wheeler doing 90.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Just got an update from Ford. They suspect something in the engine came loose and are submitting paperwork to Ford for authorization on tearing down the engine.
Sponsored