Sponsored

2019 Ecoboost gets active-valve exhaust

vayea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang Ecoboost
So this is where I'm at...

2018 Mustang Ecoboost 201a w/ safe and smart package and automatic.

I have the plug below the bumper from the factory. I have installed the Active Exhaust.

The fuse box under the hood seems to be missing a relay that the factory AE cars have. Picture is in post above. There is nothing to plug the fuse into either. There's no metal contacts to hold it or anything.

I changed the codes using a Ford computer to add the Exhaust Modes to the digital dash. Doing so does not allow the exhaust mode to be changed and does not allow driving modes to be changed either.

If anyone has any additional input on how to get this working 100%, please let me know.

As of right now, I put the codes back to stock for the time being so I can get all functionality back.
Sponsored

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
So this is where I'm at...

2018 Mustang Ecoboost 201a w/ safe and smart package and automatic.

I have the plug below the bumper from the factory. I have installed the Active Exhaust.

The fuse box under the hood seems to be missing a relay that the factory AE cars have. Picture is in post above. There is nothing to plug the fuse into either. There's no metal contacts to hold it or anything.

I changed the codes using a Ford computer to add the Exhaust Modes to the digital dash. Doing so does not allow the exhaust mode to be changed and does not allow driving modes to be changed either.

If anyone has any additional input on how to get this working 100%, please let me know.

As of right now, I put the codes back to stock for the time being so I can get all functionality back.
I have the same issue. There’s also a 15A fuse that goes in below that 15A right side of where the relay goes.

Look at the Manual, I believe is position 34 in the diagram.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
There’s two AE parts missing for my 2018, one is the fuse in positio 34 and the relay in position 59.

I was thinking to go to Ford and ask if they can install the option in a dealership. :/

This blows...we have all the parts for the setup, but the Fuse and Relays are missing. :/

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
This all seems like more of a headache than it's worth. More power to you all but why not just get an mbrp and call it good?

vayea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang Ecoboost
This all seems like more of a headache than it's worth. More power to you all but why not just get an mbrp and call it good?
I'm well under $500 total so far. As it is, it sounds great, was cheap and it's OEM. If I can get the active part to work, that's just the cherry on top.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Fair enough. If your happy then that is all that matters. Kudos on getting this far. You are better than I.

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
does the active exhaust have options for opening the valve while at WOT or certain RPM? or is it only open when you tell it (always open or always closed) / based on what mode youre in?
I would have hoped it worked like the Roush AE, where it will open at certain RPMs, which i love... i just cant see spending nearly 3k on an exhaust system...

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost NFG
The exhaust stays in the mode you set it into. No matter the rpm. The only active is when you activate it.

EDIT: this post is wrong. Good answer below!

Last edited:

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
The exhaust stays in the mode you set it into. No matter the rpm. The only active is when you activate it.
Track mode is all the way open all the time. Other modes are actuall ‘active’. Meaning that the valve actively adjusts based on rpm. Look for a YouTube video where the AE was cut off of a GT then recorded on a test drive.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost NFG
Track mode is all the way open all the time. Other modes are actuall ‘active’. Meaning that the valve actively adjusts based on rpm. Look for a YouTube video where the AE was cut off of a GT then recorded on a test drive.
Your right! I'll go to sleep more intelligent. Here's a video.

Sponsored

Bill Hamilton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1, 2014 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ecoboot Mustang Pony Package Convertible
Are there any horsepower gains in the open modes of the active valve exhaust system on the EcoBoost?

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
What Ive read is that the stock resonator is a big restriction point, and in that case opening up the mufflers probably doesn't affect it too much.
There’s no resonator in the active exhaust system, just a Y pipe.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
What Ive read is that the stock resonator is a big restriction point, and in that case opening up the mufflers probably doesn't affect it too much.
Problem is removing it really causes the farty motorboat noise that very few seem to like. The resonator is restricting the gas flow in order to control the flow of the exhaust pulses, so its a sacrifice to give a bit smoother exhaust sound.

Ive contemplated several times removing it on mine, since its quite heavy too so theres weight saving as well but i just don't like the sound of it without the resonator. With the resonator on you have a bit of a Euro sports car sounding exhaust note if you change the mufflers. If you take the resonator out and replace the stock mufflers it starts to get farty. If you do catless, resonater delete and straight through mufflers its sounds damn aweful unless you happen to be running a 500HP+ tune, but even then at idle it sounds cringe.

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
I'm contemplating ordering up a 2021 101A EB this Spring and if I do it WILL have the Active Exhaust option.

On my current 2016, I've got the Stainless Works cat-back and love the looks & sound but would like the option of toning it down when I want to and also like the more aggressive look of the quad tips.

The S-W system currently sells for $995, which is $154 more than active @ invoice, so it makes it almost a no brainer for me. I could be a cheap-ass and swap my S-W w/ 100K miles on it from the '16 to the '21 as I plan on swapping the stock '16 exhaust back on before selling, but nahhhh.

Questions ...

How easy is it to change the exhaust note on the fly on a base model ??

Is it programable on a base models (I.E. "quiet mode" early morning) as it sounds others do or is this programmability only available with the 201A & 401A Digital Cluster ??

Are the active valves / moving parts in the mufflers prone to failure, especially if driven in winter in snow & salt country ??

Thanks,

Doug
Sponsored