Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Awesome!

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
Surviving it temporarily is cool but if it holds for a period of time, that is what I think is most relevant. Neat though overall! Curious where/what fails when it does, might help guide rebuilders for upgrades of most relevance once this built one dies.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Its funny cause this car only ran 6.x @ low 120's

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
It's not like it's a stock transmission though, it's been completely rebuilt.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
It's not like it's a stock transmission though, it's been completely rebuilt.
Well, yeah.

Do you know of any transmission in the history of the automobile that can take 1500 hp stock?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would like to know what this means- “massaged by machining in additional clutches and other upgraded components”
This is something I have done many times in my transmission builder days. There are 2 main clutch mechanisms in an auto: clutch plates and bands. You can't add more "band", but you can definitely add more clutch plates in most transmissions.

You simply do the math on the thickness of a fiber and a steel clutch plate, then chuck up the aluminum apply piston that "clamps" the clutches together and cut the piston using a lathe. If you have room on the clutch drum to add 2 fibers and 2 steels (or more) that measures .350" total, you would cut the apply piston this amount. You can really beef up the holding capacity doing this.

Then there is line pressure you can increase, etc.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
This is something I have done many times in my transmission builder days. There are 2 main clutch mechanisms in an auto: clutch plates and bands. You can't add more "band", but you can definitely add more clutch plates in most transmissions.

You simply do the math on the thickness of a fiber and a steel clutch plate, then chuck up the aluminum apply piston that "clamps" the clutches together and cut the piston using a lathe. If you have room on the clutch drum to add 2 fibers and 2 steels (or more) that measures .350" total, you would cut the apply piston this amount. You can really beef up the holding capacity doing this.

Really great info here! Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Well, yeah.

Do you know of any transmission in the history of the automobile that can take 1500 hp stock?
Bugatti has a couple...

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
True automatics I don’t think so.

Manuals or dual cutch yes.
You said any transmission in any car in the history of automobiles. Not any automatic :like:

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You said any transmission in any car in the history of automobiles. Not any automatic :like:
I didn’t ask the question. I was just being specific since this thread is about pure automatics.

If we answered the question specifically the answer is millions.

If we answer the question from a common conversation standpoint I would say “never”.

alexcsp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10

Interestingly enough, there are no bands in the 10R80, strictly clutches. The transmission is like one of those dolls in a doll in a doll... but it’s just clutches and steels. Seems complicated with all the different clutches but very simple operation (in theory)
Sponsored