Sponsored

nGauge and Lund tune - CAI?

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
I’m considering an nGauge with a Lund tune for my 2019 GT. My only mods thus far are an h-pipe, and Steeda stop the hop kit.

I know the factory air box is quite good. Is there any advantage to a CAI with a larger intake pipe (such as the Roush with the insert removed) before getting the tune?
Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I had popular "CAI" intake on my 18 along with a lund tune and E85. I sold it and went back to the stock box. Your question was on the volume of air and while I'm sure the aftermarket systems can provide slightly greater volumes, its more the quality of air that your getting that is the problem. If you live in a constantly cool/cold environment then yes, you might find some benefit.

But most of us live with warm/hot air a decent percentage of the year and with the hood closed you inevitably end up with high underhood temperatures mostly in low air speed situations. But even then, it will heat soak the parts effected. My OPINION, throttle response is crisper and temps are far more stable with the factory air box. Its one thing to get hero runs on the dyno but quite another in the real world.

Last edited:

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
well in regards to the hot and humid climate i am assuming with no ram air tube setup that these open air systems are only working while the car is moving correct? my day to day daily driven car sees some serious IAT's when stuck on traffic. so am i going to see a difference in day to day daily driving? thanks

Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
This video should answer your question. If you're not following Alex on social media or youtube, I highly suggest you do. He has tons on information on the S550 platform and extensive experience with the 5.0 Coyote engine as well as working with the best in the business.

OP
OP

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
Thanks everyone, great info! Seems pretty clear that I can put the cash toward other upgrades.

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
great info/vid. thanks

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
great info/vid. thanks
IMO, Your biggest and most beneficial upgrade will be the tune, especially if you can run e85. You will flow enough air with a drop in and a resonator delete to reach 490-500 chp. Outside of that, add a sticky tire because the 10r80 with the stock Michelin Pilot Sport (summer) tires will break loose on the 3rd to 4th gear shift. If I were going to do any additional mods, I would have the stock intake manifold ported, add some cat deletes and call it a day. If you plan on doing any drag racing, axles would be the next logical upgrade.

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Stock airbox if staying NA
GM_numbers1_zpsugae6rp4.jpg

Sponsored