Sponsored

Cleaning/conditioning black rocker panel lower trim

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
On my '18, that rough black plastic trim along the lower rocker panels is starting to look crummy. It's like it's got a layer of dirt or something on it that doesn't come off with a regular wipedown. I think the soap or waxes my automatic car wash uses may have affected it. How do you all keep this trim clean and black?

I wish Ford had just painted and clearcoated this stuff like the rest of the body. On just about any car flat black trim is the first thing that goes to hell.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Back to Black, comes with a scrubbing brush to help apply it so it kinda cleans out the dirt and applies the product at the same time.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I wash the car first, then scrub that part it with a trim cleaner/grease remover and a brush. Then coat it up with VTR from Adam's Polishes (or your preferred supplier). Once you get protective layers on things, they clean up much more easily and then it's just a matter of reapplying a coating every wash.

Automatic...car wash>? Eww. But waxes should abso-effin-lutely never touch those areas. Depending on the type of wax it can get into that material and once it dries out, it'll leave a nasty residue that takes a Moses-like effort to get out.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is what you want:
Duragloss Wax Eraser #481
https://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-wax-eraser.html

It’s not a “cover up” product, it actually works to remove the dried on or embedded wax from black plastic body panels. Follow the directions and you’ll never want your detailing kit to be without it.