Sponsored

Ran into Kona Bob, GT350 owner driving and tracking his GT350 cross country

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Was out driving the R tonight in Bowmanville and as I was driving past a hotel parking lot I noticed a GT350 with Texas plates so I just had to stop and take a look. I got out to take some pics and as I was doing so the owner, who introduced himself as Bob Tremain, came walking up to meet me. He said he had heard my car from his room. We struck up a conversation and what was originally going to be a 1 minute stop to get some pics turned into about an hour and a half conversation. It turns out Bob is from Hawaii and normally keeps his car in California when he's back at home. Right now he's driving across the US and Canada visiting and running on all the tracks. He's running at Mosport tomorrow and Calabogie on the week-end. The amazing thing is he's doing this all on his own driving from track to track with everything he needs jammed into the GT350. What an adventure.

Here's more on Bob's story from Kona Bob himself:

Aloha Fellow Pony Track Addicts.

I don't quite know where to start. First off thank you to Bill and all the friendly awesome NASA folks in the 5 Regions I have run so far since February. I purchased my car in Houston in May of last year and went straight to COTA the next morning and ran with the Texas Group. I was the second Owner and the car had 3,200 miles on it when I purchased it. Running 4 times for 20 minutes 36 hrs after purchase was outstanding, thank you Texas Region. I then took the car to San Pedro California where I have a unit in a controlled indoor Facility. I started off this year February 2nd and 3rd at a two day VARA event at Buttonwillow Raceway then onto Chuckwalla, Sonoma, Phoenix Wild Horse Pass, Utah Motorsports Park and finally Pueblo this weekend, all with NASA. My next event is COTA then NOLA, Barber Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta then Sebring on June 22nd. I have yet to finalize my Eastern Seabord adventure after June 22nd. I will return to Kona for Marlin and Big Ahi Fishing during the month of July. (It is typically one of our best months)I will be back on the Tour August. There are many good tracks on the Eastern Seaboard so I am doing my research. I plan on my last event being Watkins Glen on October 5th and 6th, weather permitting.

This adventure was conceived by my wife Dianne and I 2 years ago after selling our business to our children and our Manager. We were going to buy a large RV, a purpose built car and trailer and race it across the country on the same format. I officially was scheduled and did retire on January 1st 2019. Prior to my retiring in July of 2017 my Wife and Partner of 47 years peacefully passed away in her sleep alongside me. I was inches away and did not feel her pass. Myself and my children (two sons and a daughter with spouses) were devastated. They all live very close. So a little clarification on Bill's lead in to my post here is that the lady I was with in Pueblo was my Sister who lives in Colorado Springs. I have been on this adventure solo, seeing people, Family and friends along the way.

The Shelby GT350 was my alternate choice to the Big RV, Trailer and another car. I am keeping it simple and really enjoying driving the car from event to event. It is a great touring car and track car with a fantastic Warranty. I am an avid golfer so the 1st and most important item in the trunk was my set of golf clubs. All my clothes and support tools, jack, jack stands, etc,etc,etc had to fit in after the golf clubs.

There it is, my dream adventure I am on is to honor my wife and my passion. I am not waiting to chase my bucket list. Life can change in minutes. My children and relatives are backing me 100% so it is a family affair. I have always attacked life with a positive attitude. I would appreciate any advice for tracks to visit on the East Coast, Central Region, Lime Rock, VIR and Watkins Glen are on the list already.

I hope all of us can pursue our passion racing wherever and whenever we can. Looking forward to meeting all of our fellow Mustang track addicts.

If I can help anyone in anyway let me know.

See you at the track!!!
Aloha
Kona Bob

IMG_6409.JPG
IMG_6410.JPG
IMG_6419.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Scoobs

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Here's more on Bob's story from Kona Bob himself:

Aloha Fellow Pony Track Addicts.

I don't quite know where to start. First off thank you to Bill and all the friendly awesome NASA folks in the 5 Regions I have run so far since February. I purchased my car in Houston in May of last year and went straight to COTA the next morning and ran with the Texas Group. I was the second Owner and the car had 3,200 miles on it when I purchased it. Running 4 times for 20 minutes 36 hrs after purchase was outstanding, thank you Texas Region. I then took the car to San Pedro California where I have a unit in a controlled indoor Facility. I started off this year February 2nd and 3rd at a two day VARA event at Buttonwillow Raceway then onto Chuckwalla, Sonoma, Phoenix Wild Horse Pass, Utah Motorsports Park and finally Pueblo this weekend, all with NASA. My next event is COTA then NOLA, Barber Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta then Sebring on June 22nd. I have yet to finalize my Eastern Seabord adventure after June 22nd. I will return to Kona for Marlin and Big Ahi Fishing during the month of July. (It is typically one of our best months)I will be back on the Tour August. There are many good tracks on the Eastern Seaboard so I am doing my research. I plan on my last event being Watkins Glen on October 5th and 6th, weather permitting.

This adventure was conceived by my wife Dianne and I 2 years ago after selling our business to our children and our Manager. We were going to buy a large RV, a purpose built car and trailer and race it across the country on the same format. I officially was scheduled and did retire on January 1st 2019. Prior to my retiring in July of 2017 my Wife and Partner of 47 years peacefully passed away in her sleep alongside me. I was inches away and did not feel her pass. Myself and my children (two sons and a daughter with spouses) were devastated. They all live very close. So a little clarification on Bill's lead in to my post here is that the lady I was with in Pueblo was my Sister who lives in Colorado Springs. I have been on this adventure solo, seeing people, Family and friends along the way.

The Shelby GT350 was my alternate choice to the Big RV, Trailer and another car. I am keeping it simple and really enjoying driving the car from event to event. It is a great touring car and track car with a fantastic Warranty. I am an avid golfer so the 1st and most important item in the trunk was my set of golf clubs. All my clothes and support tools, jack, jack stands, etc,etc,etc had to fit in after the golf clubs.

There it is, my dream adventure I am on is to honor my wife and my passion. I am not waiting to chase my bucket list. Life can change in minutes. My children and relatives are backing me 100% so it is a family affair. I have always attacked life with a positive attitude. I would appreciate any advice for tracks to visit on the East Coast, Central Region, Lime Rock, VIR and Watkins Glen are on the list already.

I hope all of us can pursue our passion racing wherever and whenever we can. Looking forward to meeting all of our fellow Mustang track addicts.

If I can help anyone in anyway let me know.

See you at the track!!!
Aloha
Kona Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

pocketAA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #850
Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing

Sponsored

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
This is a fantastic story and had the privilege to meet him on the track last week at Watkins Glen International.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Very nice story. Living life on your terms = winning.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If you find yourself driving Daytona, I'd be happy to lend any support in your endeavor.

The next big Daytona run is the first weekend in December hosted by the Audi Club.

Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I was hoping to see some Kona paint ;-)
Safe Travels to Bob!

Kona Bill

GoesTo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Tesla Model 3 P, '17 GT350, '07 Audi RS4
I met Kona Bob at Pitt Race in August and then saw him again at Watkins Glen over Labor Day (was there with TDC and petstang). Amazing story and just a great guy. He was thinking his last event on this long trek would be at NJMP Lightning on 9/28 after which he will deliver the car to a gentleman from NJ who has agreed to buy it. I'll be there so hoping to see him one more time.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
That’ll be cool to see him at his last event in the journey. We should get your, mine and Petstang GT350’s and Bob lined up for a photo op.

RareBreed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody M6, 2018 F-150 Raptor, 2003 Corvette, 1998 Mustang Cobra
I was hoping to see some Kona paint ;-)
Safe Travels to Bob!

Kona Bill
I always expected Bob to have a Kona GT350, not actually be from Kona!
Sponsored