Took my GT350 to the dragstrip!!!

OP
OP

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I hope so. Stock Terminators went mid 12s. A $65,000 Mustang 15 years later running in the same range is just not acceptable.
Apples to oranges, but I do tend to benchmark cars from their mph in stock form. We all know the GT350 isn’t meant for a strip, my goal was just to see where the car really stood. Cobras will always be legendary, well ahead of their time, but the GT350 could be one of the most exciting American made n/a cars to drive of all time in my opinion. I went 11.5’s at 123 in my bone stock 08 C6Z on old stock tires, which rips a gaping hole in a Termy and the GT350.....but I’d take a 350 any day over the Z.

Also, some people may have paid 65k for their GT350 but I paid 58k for mine/brand new, $800 over invoice.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yes I did. I made four passes and went 89-91 mph. I couldn’t maintain consistent full throttle until third gear. Couple times I wheel hoped second gear. It wasn’t pretty and I let off to 60% and then back on again. Track was less than ideal.

As for the fuel I doubt it made much difference, it was a blend. If I had all 94 (E10) it might have run at max timing. But at my elevation it usually always does anyway (track is 2200ft).

I swear I’m not technology inept, I just have to resize the pictures on my phone and post them up.
Yeah, the stock tires are barely good enough for stock power levels. I’m hoping to get away with 1-2 decent pulls at the qtr next week on the stock tires with my new mods, but not sure it’s going to work out.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Any updates man ?

I finally installed my CB005 and went to the strip with the shorter 325/30 SS drag radials after more than a year.
Decided to give the “race cars” a break (neither was working anyway lol) as the track have started giving me a hard time running consistent 150+ traps and low 9’s (Hellion car ).
The shorter tires certainly helped as I was able to run a PB of 12.2@only 113 mph in almost 3000 ft DA with a 1.8 60’ and zero wheel hop .
Launched at 4500 rpm slipping the clutch which it did not like as it was smelling real bad .
I was afraid of dumping the clutch out of fear of breaking something but the clutch is not going to last slipping it .
I have had a whipple(and on piece CF drive shaft) at my installer since Feb but then developer cold feet .
I also think my car is consuming oil so currently doing a 1000 mile test .
I don’t want to slap on whipple on a motor that needs replacing .
I have made up of my mind if the motor is good I am going to
go ahead with the whipple (going to the strip car always reenforces my need for more powah)
If the engine needs replacing then I will obviously hold off until I am sure I got a “good one “.
There is another GT 350 at the dealer I use with a second motor that looks like is also eating oil .

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Any updates man ?

I finally installed my CB005 and went to the strip with the shorter 325/30 SS drag radials after more than a year.
Decided to give the “race cars” a break (neither was working anyway lol) as the track have started giving me a hard time running consistent 150+ traps and low 9’s (Hellion car ).
The shorter tires certainly helped as I was able to run a PB of 12.2@only 113 mph in almost 3000 ft DA with a 1.8 60’ and zero wheel hop .
Launched at 4500 rpm slipping the clutch which it did not like as it was smelling real bad .
I was afraid of dumping the clutch out of fear of breaking something but the clutch is not going to last slipping it .
I have had a whipple(and on piece CF drive shaft) at my installer since Feb but then developer cold feet .
I also think my car is consuming oil so currently doing a 1000 mile test .
I don’t want to slap on whipple on a motor that needs replacing .
I have made up of my mind if the motor is good I am going to
go ahead with the whipple (going to the strip car always reenforces my need for more powah)
If the engine needs replacing then I will obviously hold off until I am sure I got a “good one “.
There is another GT 350 at the dealer I use with a second motor that looks like is also eating oil .
same reason i don't have a whipple...just be cautious, mine was fine until 6k, then slowly started consuming more and more til it warranted getting a longblock. i have the same issue of wondering when exactly i am safe lol

Sponsored

JGT_TreeFiddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Great passes! Just picked up a GT350 myself and looking forward to tackling the drag strip in the coming months down here in Houston.

OP
OP

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
OP, you left us hanging...
I kept my GT350 for 3 months, too many issues for me to be happy, fender gaps, ticking in the motor, rear end knocked, I didnt fit in the Recaro's, etc, plus I felt the GT350 belonged on a track.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I kept my GT350 for 3 months, too many issues for me to be happy, fender gaps, ticking in the motor, rear end knocked, I didnt fit in the Recaro's, etc, plus I felt the GT350 belonged on a track.
I had a feeling you would not be happy with it .. ...especially coming from. 1000 whp / low 9 /high 8 sec TT. Lol
I felt the same way with mine and ended up with a whipple (and now built motor ). Lol

My Hellion car will be up for sale soon if you are missing yours .
It’s got a predator based short block /GT 350 heads /cams (CP firing order ).
Pretty much a TT 2020 GT 500 power train with freshly built 6r80 (including planets gears )

Thought I would give you dibs .
Lol
Sponsored