Sponsored

Ford Performance selling HPP turbo

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
So, if you already have a FP tune and simply bolt this on, what difference in driving characteristics (such as turbo lag) and performance improvements (if any) would be expected?
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
So, if you already have a FP tune and simply bolt this on, what difference in driving characteristics (such as turbo lag) and performance improvements (if any) would be expected?
If your going to spend the money on a turbo upgrade then you need a protune. Otherwise it's not worth it.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
If your going to spend the money on a turbo upgrade then you need a protune. Otherwise it's not worth it.
Though with the turbine wheel being the same size and just the compressor being 3mm larger wouldnt the spooling behaviour of the turbo be essentially the same except with higher boost capability ?
Im not sure how these ECUs are setup with the Ford Performance tune but im guessing that essentially all that should happen is that the turbo will gas out a bit later, effectively extending the peak power rpm range but it wouldnt increase the peak power itself (unless for whatever reason the old turbo wasnt hitting the ECU programmed limits ).

I can imagine it would adjust and work fine with the stock injectors and cam and most off the shelf tunes, it should be easier for the ECU to adapt to this turbo than say a new set of cams, but if you want to significantly increase the peak youd need a custom tune.

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
Does anyone know what sort of power increase to expect either with cams or without?

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know what sort of power increase to expect either with cams or without?
The factory HPP Mustang uses this turbo and has a specific tune for it, that car makes 330HP, thats on the standard cams which all ecoboost mustangs use.
Though based on tuning with this motor and turbo on the Focus RS id expect over 400HP at the crank with a tune.

Obviously the RS and HPP have stronger cylinder head gaskets to support the extra power long term, so on a stock ecoboost and a factory tune id say youd have to limit yourself to max 400HP at the crank if you dont want to slowly destroy the head gasket.

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
Is there an article that details the specifics between the Mustang engine and the RS version?

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there an article that details the specifics between the Mustang engine and the RS version?
Other than differences resulting from the fact that the Focus RS engine is transversely mounted, the only notable differences are the turbo compressor wheel and the cylinder head gasket.
The cooling systems are different, but the RS is not necessarily better than whats in the ecoboost since the ecoboost has much more airflow and space for cooling as well as factory options for larger radiators. Thats about it.

If you want part numbers and such youll need to do some searching

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Other than differences resulting from the fact that the Focus RS engine is transversely mounted, the only notable differences are the turbo compressor wheel and the cylinder head gasket.
The cooling systems are different, but the RS is not necessarily better than whats in the ecoboost since the ecoboost has much more airflow and space for cooling as well as factory options for larger radiators. Thats about it.

If you want part numbers and such youll need to do some searching
But the HPP/HPO has a slightly modified RS engine and is spec'd differently. It also has a larger turbo and much more cooling. And other special components to allow it to rev higher & faster.

I suspect, the HPP will easily have 380hp/420tq (ish)... just look at what Ford's own Ford Performance Tune adds to the ($4k cheaper) regular ecoboost, for only $500 bucks.

So you are going to have to gage the HPP's performance spec's off of that. Given, this HPP would be an utter failure if you could just buy a regular ecoboost and get a Dealer installed tune....

I think Ford might market it as something like: 349hp/359tq w/overboost (+59tq ?).

OP
OP

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
I have not heard of the RS revving faster, is this the tune or a difference the crankshaft? Something else?

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I have not heard of the RS revving faster, is this the tune or a difference the crankshaft? Something else?
The RS crankshaft according to Ford Media is cast iron with 8 counter weights and 5 main bearings. Also the RS is tuned to have peaky torque to suit the unique 4wd set-up, that tune in a 2wd would probably loose traction frequently.
What I can’t find is information on is the block, it appears to be a stronger block with more ribbing, but are cylinders just sitting there as in the mustang Ecoboost 2.3, or is it a semi-closed or closed block?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
OP, this HPP engine is not the exact same engine that's in the RS. It is a modified version of that engine.

Last edited:

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But the HPP/HPO has a slightly modified RS engine and is spec'd differently. It also has a larger turbo and much more cooling. And other special components to allow it to rev higher & faster.
Read what i said :), it has a larger compressor wheel, its not a all new turbo but what we would call a hybrid turbo compared to the stock Ecoboost.

As for it revving faster, maybe but I dont really consider that meaningful. It will make more power higher up the rev range in the HPP due to the different turbo setup. As i said with the cooling, the packaging of the engine and gearbox is completely different in the mustang so comparing its cooling to the Mk3 RS is an oranges to apples comparison since the RS engine bay and TransAxle layout have totally different cooling requirements. Ecoboost mustangs when fitted with the normal performance pack just dont seem to have any cooling issues whereas during testing the Mk3 RS had frequent challenges with regards to cooling which required changes for it to not blow up on a track.

In any case, if you ask Focus RS Mk3 owners they still hit head gasket problems around the same limits we do on the Ecoboost this is just an issue with the open deck block design that all these cars suffer, HPP isnt going to change that.
HPP is meant to give you a a different driving experience on the same platform, its not going to significantly change the upper limit we are hitting on these engines but it is a much better starting point.

Deleted member

Im going to put this out there again, if anyone on here thinks this motor will have higher limits than any other 2.3 ecoboost you are WRONG. No matter the application, RS,mustang,Explorer the open deck block hasn't been addressed, the weak bracing on the passenger side of the block hasn't been addressed. I don't care what stock compressor wheel, or slightly different internals it may or may not have on the HPP, the block is still weak... Doesn't matter if it has a better intercooler or different crank, different head gasket blah blah blah.

You're going to get a better out of the box package with the HPP no doubt, but limits will still be the same.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The problem with the 2.3 block is the junk casting. The new HPP will have the FoRS block, but even so, it's still limited. I would like to cut a 2.3 for 12 mm studs to see how it would work but I don't foresee it raising the bar much, if any.
Sponsored