Sponsored

2020 EcoBoost High Performance Package, 330 HP / 350 LB-FT, 0-60 mid 4's [Updated With Video]

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
I BEEN THINKING SAME THING !!! We need a real world reveiw
Sponsored

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
So, as a disclaimer, if the EBPP performs as well as a 2015-2017 GT, that is fine with me. However, something doesn't add up. From a physics standpoint, the 2015 GT PP1 runs a 4.4 0-60 with 435HP / 400 ft lbs. If this EBPP runs a 4.5, then there must be at least 410 HP accounting for the 200lb weight advantage. 100 lbs is roughly .10 in the quarter, 10 HP is also roughly worth the same. It is not possible to run those times with 330HP / 350 Tq. I will wait for the actual real world testing along with Dyno testing to crown it faster than a stock 15 - 17 GT PP1. Perhaps it is severely underated from the factory, which may very well be the case.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Besides peak HP it is also the area under the torque curve. Turbo engines start making lots of torque earlier than NA engines, this one probably has more torque across a wider band than the 2015 GT.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Does anyone know if this motor will have a bigger intercooler than the current Ecoboost? Arguably, why bother with a bigger turbo if you're still using the same puny intercooler?

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, as a disclaimer, if the EBPP performs as well as a 2015-2017 GT, that is fine with me. However, something doesn't add up. From a physics standpoint, the 2015 GT PP1 runs a 4.4 0-60 with 435HP / 400 ft lbs. If this EBPP runs a 4.5, then there must be at least 410 HP accounting for the 200lb weight advantage. 100 lbs is roughly .10 in the quarter, 10 HP is also roughly worth the same. It is not possible to run those times with 330HP / 350 Tq. I will wait for the actual real world testing along with Dyno testing to crown it faster than a stock 15 - 17 GT PP1. Perhaps it is severely underated from the factory, which may very well be the case.
Not exactly true -good torque early and gearing will 0-60 great the hp will represent its mph up top in 1/4 mile trap speeds so for example -0-60 4.5 1/4 mile 12.9 108mph

Sponsored

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
Well, just looking forward to real testing, as right now this is all hypothetical. Just for another reference, the Focus RS runs 0-60 in 4.5 seconds with launch control, AWD traction, 350HP / 350TQ and 100lbs less weight, so this will be some feat of engineering for the EBPP to run that same time with more weight, less HP and RWD.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Not exactly true -good torque early and gearing will 0-60 great the hp will represent its mph up top in 1/4 mile trap speeds so for example -0-60 4.5 1/4 mile 12.9 108mph
For proper 0-60 performance, area under the curve at lower rpm and low end torque are not important, since the car will be revved prior to the start and hook up at higher rpm. For a 5-60 mph test it will be important, but that's where cars with some turbo lag are at a big disadvantage. On the street it's fun and an advantage. But not a standard 0-60 test like those in the major magazines.

jcl78 is right that for 0-60 a bunch of other factors are important like traction and launch control, and I agree it's hard to believe that the HPP will be faster than a FoRS which has AWD and a better power-to-weight ratio unless Ford's lying about the power big time. I think the A10 (a major advantage for drag racing over a 6M like the FoRS has) and better launch control will help get the A10 HPP EB to a well sub-5 second 0-60. But, the power-to-weight factor is going to become very important in a real drag race, despite the A10. Claiming that the HPP will be "as fast as" a 15-17 GT is quite a leap for a quarter mile drag, unless that thing is making MUCH more power than even a FoRS. Videos from TopGear and Grand Tour on YouTube (with a UK spec Gen2 Coyote vs a UK spec FoRS, both of which have less power than USDM models but the Mustang even more so from a % standpoint) show the FoRS leaping ahead due to its superior traction but the Mustang reeling it in and passing it before the traps. C&D got a (heavy for an EB) 2018 A10 EB (310hp) to 99 by the quarter, and a heavy A6 2015 GT to 113mph 0.5 seconds earlier (=~5 car lengths and galloping away). Its going to take a lot more than 20hp to make up for that.

I agree, this is all speculation so let's wait for the numbers. Personally, I'm looking forward to the HPP and will test drive one...I like the power delivery in turbos, they're fun, but I'm not expecting it to have warp drive.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
For proper 0-60 performance, area under the curve at lower rpm and low end torque are not important, since the car will be revved prior to the start and hook up at higher rpm. For a 5-60 mph test it will be important, but that's where cars with some turbo lag are at a big disadvantage. On the street it's fun and an advantage. But not a standard 0-60 test like those in the major magazines.

jcl78 is right that for 0-60 a bunch of other factors are important like traction and launch control, and I agree it's hard to believe that the HPP will be faster than a FoRS which has AWD and a better power-to-weight ratio unless Ford's lying about the power big time. I think the A10 (a major advantage for drag racing over a 6M like the FoRS has) and better launch control will help get the A10 HPP EB to a well sub-5 second 0-60. But, the power-to-weight factor is going to become very important in a real drag race, despite the A10. Claiming that the HPP will be "as fast as" a 15-17 GT is quite a leap for a quarter mile drag, unless that thing is making MUCH more power than even a FoRS. Videos from TopGear and Grand Tour on YouTube (with a UK spec Gen2 Coyote vs a UK spec FoRS, both of which have less power than USDM models but the Mustang even more so from a % standpoint) show the FoRS leaping ahead due to its superior traction but the Mustang reeling it in and passing it before the traps. C&D got a (heavy for an EB) 2018 A10 EB (310hp) to 99 by the quarter, and a heavy A6 2015 GT to 113mph 0.5 seconds earlier (=~5 car lengths and galloping away). Its going to take a lot more than 20hp to make up for that.

I agree, this is all speculation so let's wait for the numbers. Personally, I'm looking forward to the HPP and will test drive one...I like the power delivery in turbos, they're fun, but I'm not expecting it to have warp drive.
I’m sorry, but I had too. Especially with your forum name.
upload_2019-9-15_12-38-55.png

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

area under the curve doesnt matter if your driving a manual and the curve is 5000-7500 ,but if this car spools quickly and early like my twin scroll 3.0t bmw does it should absolutly 0-60 great .2000rpm to 5000 peak torque ,,turbo lag this aint 1980 ,my 19 twin turbo ecoboost pickup will spool up instantly i hear the turbos whistlin at 1500

Sponsored

Deleted member

15-17 GT's didnt have an A10 available to them. Probably would be in the 4.0-4.2 range if you put a A10 in the 15-17s.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks Twin Turbo. At least we know Evan will get the best possible times out of it, even though it won't be the 11's.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Reviews will be coming soon........photos courtesy of Evan Smith :)
Grabber Lime EB HPP1.jpg
Grabber Lime EB HPP2.jpg
Grabber Lime EB HPP3.jpg
Grabber Lime EB HPP4.jpg
Damn that's strong. Pretty much exactly how I would order one. Ditch the hood stripes, though...