2015 S550 5.0 broken 4th gear

Whitecoyote50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Naif
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Gt
Hello guys , one of my friends have 2015 S550 mustang Gt with AMP Stage 3 MT82 built transmission with RXT clutch and MGW shifter , yesterday he was street racing the car he told me in the second run when he want to shift to the 4th gear it wouldn’t shift then the 4th gear broke Also the transmission making insane noises in neutral , any ideas what’s broken in this transmission guys ?

Thanks .
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
yeah...he blew out 4th gear. I blew 3rd, replaced trans then blew out 4th. Wised up and did a TR6060 swap.
The clutch is the main culprit ...destroys MT82s. I run the RXT also...has no give, ceramic clutches are great but will find the weak points of any drive-train.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Hello guys , one of my friends have 2015 S550 mustang Gt with AMP Stage 3 MT82 built transmission with RXT clutch and MGW shifter , yesterday he was street racing the car he told me in the second run when he want to shift to the 4th gear it wouldn’t shift then the 4th gear broke Also the transmission making insane noises in neutral , any ideas what’s broken in this transmission guys ?

Thanks .
RXTs show no mercy to MT-82s
You can build MT-82s all you want, but at the end of the day, they just won't match the durability of a Tr6060 or T56 Magnum XL.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, we here at Mr Transmission have seen many failures of Mt’s. 99% of all OEM Mt’s will not survive in drag racing scenarios with out some type of “cushion” wether that is a soft engagement clutch or a set of bias ply tires out back or a combination of both. For those that can’t get engagement “just right” a Clutch Tamer add-on will help your Mt to survive.
For those making big power, an upgrade is needed, G-Force, Astro, TR6060, etc and practice,practice, practice....

dodger789

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt performance, whipple, stage 2 throttle body, rxt clutch, cf driveshaft, steeda subframe kit, 840 hp axles, X force w/ corsa long tubes and mickeys
RXTs show no mercy to MT-82s
You can build MT-82s all you want, but at the end of the day, they just won't match the durability of a Tr6060 or T56 Magnum XL.
Got into it with a hellcat 4th gear blew...did ford update the mt82 or will it happen again after replace with updated mt82...yes I have rxt clutch

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Got into it with a hellcat 4th gear blew...did ford update the mt82 or will it happen again after replace with updated mt82...yes I have rxt clutch
I know the gearing is a bit longer in the 18+ mt-82 and that they're a bit stronger, at least according to ben calimer. If you can find one without the old shift forks, it should be a more viable mt82 than the stock one in the 15-17 cars.

If you need to repair your trans, consider finding a tr6060 or t56 xl. Especially if you plan on keeping the car for a bit and will abuse it. I've heard of guys going through multiple mt-82s before deciding to upgrade to a tremec.

dodger789

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt performance, whipple, stage 2 throttle body, rxt clutch, cf driveshaft, steeda subframe kit, 840 hp axles, X force w/ corsa long tubes and mickeys
I know the gearing is a bit longer in the 18+ mt-82 and that they're a bit stronger, at least according to ben calimer. If you can find one without the old shift forks, it should be a more viable mt82 than the stock one in the 15-17 cars.

If you need to repair your trans, consider finding a tr6060 or t56 xl. Especially if you plan on keeping the car for a bit and will abuse it. I've heard of guys going through multiple mt-82s before deciding to upgrade to a tremec.
it is still under the warranty and it should be free BUT I plan on mashing it every time I see camaro or dodge or vet...what should I do and what else is going to break?

dodger789

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
it is still under the warranty and it should be free BUT I plan on mashing it every time I see camaro or dodge or vet...what should I do and what else is going to break?
I just started research on tremec but dont understand the difference and shifter locations

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I just started research on tremec but dont understand the difference and shifter locations
You were able to get it repaired under warranty even with a whipple? Pretty cool dealership...

Shifter location is different between the T56 and T56xl, but that's because the trans is different. Both the Tr6060 and T56xl fit in an S550 as numerous people have done it. A few threads below this one is actually all about the T56xl swap.

OP
OP

Whitecoyote50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Naif
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Gt
I was thinking to replace it with T56XL but longer gear ratios in this transmission will kill the performance of the car in just bolt ons setup! , the only way to get out of this problem is buy a stage 3 Mt82 from ben calimer and change the clutch to RST

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT

Magnum XL is just a magnum with an extended tail housing to get the shifter to line up with the OEM location on our S550s.

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
I was thinking to replace it with T56XL but longer gear ratios in this transmission will kill the performance of the car in just bolt ons setup! , the only way to get out of this problem is buy a stage 3 Mt82 from ben calimer and change the clutch to RST
I just installed my Calimer Stage 3 and upgraded the input shaft to 26 spline. (No extra cost with Ben to swap to the 26 spline) Had the RST in the car with the stock MT82 for a year. Speaking with Ben directly about my setup I told him my use and goals for power with the car and he said he has multiple customers running his Stage 3 for the last year with the RXT and RXT 1200 at the track and zero issues reported so far. I opted for sending my RST to McLeod for a rebuild and respline to the RXT 1200. It was only $60 more to do the 1200 over the standard RXT so it was a no-brainer.

The Stage 3 was put in a couple of his customers cars before it was made available for normal customers so it’s had some good experience being beaten on. Over a years worth of time on the street and track cuz he made the Stage 3 post on Facebook July 2018, I believe.

JETZGT

JETZ GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 GT PP SC
I just installed my Calimer stage 3 as well. Seems loud and whiny. This normal?

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
I anticipated some noise cuz I didn’t go for the $450 for rem polishing. (As far as I was told that’s what the rem polishing did...got rid of some of that noise) I def have some noise in 1-4 if the windows are up but if they’re down I can’t hear it at all. However, I noticed I don’t have that noise in 5th and 6th. I contacted Ben to make sure what I was hearing/experiencing was normal. He responded with this text:
“It’s because 5-6 are direct drive and it takes the load off the cluster.”

It sounds silent as the stock trans in 5th and 6th when cruising hwy speeds. Which is perfect. I may be a weirdo but hearing the mechanical sounds of the trans in 1-4 is pretty cool to me. I may not think that if I could hear it in 5th and 6th tho haha!

dodger789

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
so I bought the tremeck magnum but have issues with a certain high performance online shop. I will not mention them yet until i see if they make things right after sending me 3 major asswipe mistakes on the new drive shaft. I am ready to order a carbon fiber drive shaft rated @ 1100 hp. What opinions do you guys have before I spend the $$$ 1375
Sponsored