Sponsored

Replacing Steering Rack - Tips / Tricks?

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
My steering rack went out and Ford is not warrantying. I have the replacement at the house and intend to replace in the next week or so. Has anyone replaced one? I've had a hard time finding walk-thrus, videos or instructions on this and am looking for some tips and/or tricks to making it easy and successful, or at least things to watch out for and maybe keep from making any stupid mistakes.

I'm plenty mechanically inclined but work mostly on offroad trucks with plenty of room, not as much in tight quarters on small cars.

Thanks.

EDIT: Absolutely my bad, I was searching the Drivetrain section and clicked into this one reading and misposted in the wrong forum! If mods would like to move. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Why wouldn’t Ford Warranty the rack, are you beyond the 3/36?

What symptoms are you having with it?

Inside the EPAS, there is a belt that is known to go bad. You have to disassemble the rack to get to it. I’m not sure if your issues may be related to that belt failing, but it’s worth a shot to check it out.

Check out this thread, which has some info that may help:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/help-identifying-eps-belt-size.127584/#post-2642940

If you’re swapping racks, you will need to mark the location of the old tie rod ends before removing them from the old rack. Take the new rack and lay next to old, mark about where the tie rods should be located on the new before removing them from the old.