OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
Your insight is greatly appreciated by me.

If your motor won’t blow up without it you are good. A little extra timing and lower IATs is good.

If you motor needs it to go fast you
most likely will be sweeping up parts if you use it long enough.

There are some good ideas about cutting power in the case of a problem. The problem is all it takes is one piston stroke to blow an engine. Stray metal burr or hose fragment in the nozzle and boom.

My view is tanted though as I have had problems with the older systems. I don’t know a lot about the new systems.
How old are the systems you've used? I haven't read about any failures since I've been doing research. Have mainly been looking into the Snow Performance kits because they seem to be the most popular. It looks like that company was recently purchased by Nitrous Express. I have a lot of experience with their kits for personal use and I was a distributor for them for many years.
Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
How old are the systems you've used? I haven't read about any failures since I've been doing research. Have mainly been looking into the Snow Performance kits because they seem to be the most popular. It looks like that company was recently purchased by Nitrous Express. I have a lot of experience with their kits for personal use and I was a distributor for them for many years.
The newest one being about 15 years ago.

So they don’t compare in quality to these kits. The new kits look great and the technology has came along nicely. The press fitting look like a great design to be extremely clean and reliable.

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
System has been on for a year and trouble free. I am still using the Snow performance v2.5 kit tuned by Ryan Martin. I intally tried 75 Meth/25 water and that was a no go according to Ryan. Using a #6 nozzle with 100% M1 we are hitting around 14* of timing without knock. The engine is super happy on methonal and is dialed in. Boost is around 28 psi too.
My purge valve recently failed and I went low on methonal and my engine is lucky to be alive. Pop, bang, rattle..rattle check engine light, wrench light and no power. I limped it home with a lot of codes.
I am happy to report that the engine survived and is happy with new plugs, Ames oil signature oil, purge valve and evap solenoid. I just sent some new logs on a dumbed down tune. I also just completed a 500 mile road trip here in the PNW following my Cousins brand new PP1 GT Mustang. I was running the tune Ryan sent, so I did not attempt to go after him lol. I will say that this base suspension sucks when going in and out of mountain corners. Plenty of power from the engine, just no stability. Cousin's car just took it all with ease, so..my car had to work harder to accelerate back up to speed and hang.
I plan on using 50/50 on a new 92 octane tune. No tuning, just use a small nozzle and correct settings. I played with the dumbed down tune and 50/50 with a number 5 nozzle and different controller settings today. 50/50 did change the stft's and once dialed in I saw spark consistency. I plan on using it for saftey and to help keep everything clean. Meth will be for race days.
50/50 saturates the combustion chambers easy. A little does wonders with good settings. I kept playing with the controller and logging. No knock, no crazy STFT numbers and no bogging with this tune. I am almost hitting 6* up top at 19 psi. Tee engine Feels pretty good. My base 92 tune hit 26 psi peak with an average of 1.5 degrees timing. Well...timing adds tq/acceleration.
During the year, fittings with Methonal did loosen up and caused a few leaks. The stupid float keeps losing its seal. It is either too tight, or too loose. I say ditch it, and just keep the tank topped off once a week or two

Last edited:

FourdBanger18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang

FourdBanger18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Here’s a little back ground-Devil’s own, Snow and AEM are all relative newcomers to water/meth injection, WW2 fighters used a water injection system and water inject for cars gained popularity through Aquamist as the company that started the WI craze around the world, when WRC cars started using Aquamist systems.
Guys please get your info directly from the manufacturers web sites, blogs and forums, most other sites are full of misinformation (hotrod is notorious) so as not to damage your motors.
I’ve been using Water/meth injection for over 30 years and it is a great power adder when properly sized to your motor.
For the arguments above on what mix to run, let me say that the cooling potential of water is the key, nothing else even comes close, meth is a cool burning fuel source....there’s lots of theory, math, flame front speed, etc that you can read elsewhere. A 50/50 mix has been the best for me in several different cars, testing has shown 80/20 meth/water is the max for most motors. 100% meth removes the awesome cooling potential of water, but still provides some cooling as well as a high octane fuel source.
Can you tune to maximize benefits? Yes, but if there’s an issue with delivery or you simply run dry, then there goes the motor. If you tune for it run a safety/ warning system.
Can you you WI without tuning and still benefit? Yes, most ECU’s after 2000 or so will pull/add timing/fuel as needed when injection starts, but you won’t get as much benefit as tuning for it, however if there a delivery issue you most likely will not loose the motor..
I would want to try aqua mist and just water with e30 and upgraded intercooler
Sponsored