Sponsored

Today’s car guys vs yesterdays car guys?

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
My favorite BUILT not BOUGHT, because you can’t buy it and it took 3 days to initially build without any plans or anything. Just an idea in my head and winging it lol
32506C71-66F0-4744-9523-0078F75258F9.jpeg
DB1126F6-F1C1-4B70-857D-E31F55AB1B32.jpeg
803B7030-0238-42BB-8CFF-29E671F6FD55.jpeg
FEA90D2B-DEF1-4BF5-B20F-CAD5DCF68DB1.png
2A657A93-1A07-457D-9770-EDFEBED73660.jpeg
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
It's all relatively rewarding. If you are a true gearhead you get in there and do it. Then drive downtown in your greasy white T shirt on so nobody mistakes the hotrod for anything other than your creation :giggle:. If you live in the city or make lots of $ and just want the driving experience of a modified car you pay a grease monkey to make it unique and share that experience with your friends with the clean fingernails. Both owners are enjoying a modified car they can chat about with SOMEBODY at a car meet. :clap:
Nothing to belittle anybody about... Like Daddy said, who buying those store bought pants? When I was a builder I thought people who bought houses were idiots. :devil:
It was only when I got older I realize how smart they were.:crackup:
Have fun and drive it like you stole it

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've been a gearhead since I can remember. Don't really know where it came from - while my Dad worked on his own vehicles, he sure didn't do it out of enjoyment and he had really no interest beyond simply repairing things. I learned from different guys - I made myself a pest. Swept up their shops, played the gofer, and kept my mouth shut - watched and listened. Did my first engine swap before I had a license. I enjoy it.

Yes it can be frustrating. Yes my hands have scars from years of turning wrenches. Thing is - I personally think it makes someone more attached to a vehicle. All the work you put it simply makes it really yours. I did the same thing when I rode sportbikes for years. I honestly didn't trust anyone else working on 'em - and if something went wrong it was my fault. No better motivator than that.

Started with a '67 Chevelle. I honestly can't count how many vehicles I've had over the years. Lots of older GM stuff, flipped some Fords, some Mopars, some Jeeps, some foreign stuff. (a ton of 80's Toyota trucks and 4runners) then late model stuff.

Personally I don't get attached to a vehicle when I don't wrench on it. But that's just me. I don't profess to know what other people are thinking / doing - their cars, their money, their time.

I've built a few cars / trucks basically from the ground up. They ended up sold - many of my projects (not daily drivers) - when I wasn't driving them all the time, and they were finished - I kind of got bored. Most I didn't actively sell them - I got offers and away they went.

I hear a lot of people say "my time is worth more than that" and that's fine. Again - their car, their money, their time. Me personally, I wouldn't really feel like it was "my" car if I didn't put the time in -but that's just my opinion.

I do think part of is the "newer generation" is a bit spoiled....when it comes to fast cars. Contrary to what some people may think, there has never been a time other than now and recently where you could go buy a new / late model used car that could run 13, 12, 11, hell even 10 second 1/4 miles in stock trim that had a FACTORY warranty. A car than can be dependable enough to be daily driven. A car that last 100K miles. A car with AC, power steering, windows and high tech electronics.

I remember new cars less than a year old with chronic issues. Cork gaskets leaking. Constantly adjusting valve lash on performance engines (Especially solid cammed cars), point ignition, crude emissions controls, etc etc.

On the flip side I hear people say "they don't build them like they used to" - Thank God. Non-overdrive transmission, steep rear gears and single digit mpg. Shitty build quality. I miss a lot of the styling - but other than that - no thanks.

People hear gripe about the 6 speed in the S550 being weak. I remember constantly fixing so called "bullet proof" Muncie 4 speeds. Clutches that could hold power - were so stiff and quite the pain driving them on the street. Not to mention tire technology.

For me - there's just something about having a vehicle and know I did the work do it.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I always work on my own cars. The only thing I didn't do was install my tires do to me not having a tire machine, and the tune. PS I'm in my 40s.

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
My favorite BUILT not BOUGHT, because you can’t buy it and it took 3 days to initially build without any plans or anything. Just an idea in my head and winging it lol
32506C71-66F0-4744-9523-0078F75258F9.jpeg
DB1126F6-F1C1-4B70-857D-E31F55AB1B32.jpeg
803B7030-0238-42BB-8CFF-29E671F6FD55.jpeg
FEA90D2B-DEF1-4BF5-B20F-CAD5DCF68DB1.png
2A657A93-1A07-457D-9770-EDFEBED73660.jpeg
What’s happening with the ‘66 in the background?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I do the basic work these days. I work at an assembly plant in maintenance that builds jet engines. I use my hands and my brain to troubleshoot multi-million dollar equipment and processes to get my ego stroked. I have little desire to come home and tear apart a car in the driveway (no garage large enough to do it partly) and start a major build or the investment in tools to do it when I can plan everything out, take it to a good friend of mine who lets me be involved in the process and pay him a fair price which assures me if something goes wrong WE will figure it out and I don't have the neighbors and the village bitching about a car sitting on blocks in the driveway. I've helped guys rebuild SBC's and SBF's from the days of yore when the mechanical timing of the cam to crank was as simple as aligning the dots according to general information provided in a hard back Chiltons manual. I've pulled the rear end out from under my 14 GT, gutted it and had the axle tubes welded. But as I am getting older all I want to do is drive the car. Today at work I was on my 4th day of reprogramming the pick up points for an ABB robot that delivers tools to a precision grinder that you can stand inside. I don't need any more ego stroking or feeling good about a job well done that that. I don't sit behind a desk and push paper all day long, or play supervisor or accountant or lawyer, or doctor, or industrial hygenist of draftsman, or IT expert. I get dirty working on CNC precision machining equipment that contributes to the engine assembly that keeps 90% of your aircraft in the air. I only need to look up at any given time and see the vapor trail to feel the thrill of a job well done.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Doing your race car as a daily driver is as bad as it sounds.

You are not ONLY replacing the valve springs because you have valve bind and a few broke, but that you need to go to work too.

NTTIATWWT

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I've done fluid changes (oil, tranny and diff), shocks, plugs, hoses, water pumps, mostly light stuff. The reference to time applies to me anymore. My weekends always seem too full to allow for all that "fun". The EB is coming up for an oil change soon. I'll do that, 'cause it's easy and takes less time than driving it somewhere.

The Ram won't need plugs for another couple of years. I may do 'em, but that's three hours I may not want to spend anymore. I'll be 70 then. I may not be that flexible in three years.

Sponsored

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
In years past I have wrenched on all my cars, because I enjoyed it. However, today I'm over 70 years old, fat, and live in a condo with no place to do work, or even store tools I used to have. Jack stands? They don't go high enough to easily clear my belly. With two total knee replacements (one just a couple of months ago) I'm no longer able to crawl around or underneath a vehicle. No more dropping trans, replacing in-tank fuel pumps, etc. But I am able to clean her up washing and waxing every week (or sometimes every day!) and I do enjoy doing that. I still take her the the track (Carolina Motorsports Park) for road racing, drags at the strip, etc, driving is fine, wrenching not so much any more.

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
I don't sit behind a desk and push paper all day long, or play supervisor or accountant or lawyer, or doctor, or industrial hygenist of draftsman, or IT expert.
You wouldn't get paid if someone didn't "play" accountant :cwl:. No need to rip someones profession.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
53 years old, and my car is a mix of my work and the pros at the garage. If it's manageable with basic tools like ramps, wrenches, ratchets, and screwdrivers, I'll do it myself. The experts with the specialized tools are there for the rest. For instance, when I decided I wanted some CF body parts, I had no intention of building a paint booth to spray the parts, or room to do that, so the body shop handled the paint and installation, then I picked the vinyl and laid down the stripes myself.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Most of the muscle car owners are significantly older than they used to be. The younger generation prefers Asian cars or none at all. I used to do everything, but I'm not able to do much of what I used to do.

Cars are far more complex and parts are a lot more expensive. You have to worry a lot more about making mistakes.

I would not have bought my Mustang if it wasn't for the drive train warranty. I don't wish to do anything that would void it. The warranty in the old days wasn't worth much.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
I do EVERYTHING. I moved to my town specifically due to seeing large pole barn garages all over the place.
They didn't bat an eye when I told them I wanted 3200 sq ft with 14' walls.

I even bought my own tire machine, balancer, and used alignment system I use with a 4 post lift.
I feel for the rest who get rims damaged, tires incorrectly balanced, and/or a bad alignment (or places won't do the
alignment you want, as they claim it's not safe etc....).

And I dread warantee, as 75-80% of the time it is claimed they can't find the problem or they don't fix
the problem. My car typically comes back with some kind of minor damage, or at minimum it takes 3 days to clean it
when they left it parked under trees.

Seriously thinking about taking my airbags out before I go for recall, so they don't trash trim pieces trying to get it out.
Sponsored