corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Funny, I just put black Gorilla lugs on because they look better and had no idea the factory lugs were this bad. To remove and install, I used an old school cross wrench and of course, a dab of anti seize on the new lugs. They're all "arm torqued" and checked after a short drive and again after a few hundred miles. All is well here.
I guess you can't see any problems at all when your head is in the sand.

For the record, anti-seize or any other kind of lube on wheel studs or lugs when mounting tires to the car is poor practice. Better to be good here than lucky.

Norm.
Sponsored

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
I've installed and uninstalled these more times than I can count.....each time, torqued to 150 ft lbs.

Has not failed or shown any signs of failure. No issues with these lug nuts.

Edit: Actually may need to replace them. The corners are rounding and get stuck in sockets as a result. Annoying but that's how much I've used them.....

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Not really, a whole lot of tech and research goes into torque and lubes, that’s one of the reasons guys building engines etc get into trouble using motor oil for torque lube rather than the specified lube for the application.
Oh, I make no claims as to the validity of the "approximately 30% higher" statement that was previously posted by someone else... I merely pointed out that the inverse of 130% is ~77%, not 70%.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I've watched some tire shops "follow the proper procedure" by hammering the lugs on with an air gun, then spot checking them with a torque wrench. Which only does an incorrect spot check that the static torque is at a minimum level to pop their torque wrench. It does not ensure that they are not over torqued.

I'm still on the factory tires and dred the day that a shop has to mount new tires and destroy my rims in the process. I'm leaning more and more towards mounting them myself, but would still need to find a shop to computer balance them.

Until now and hopefully until that day there is not a scratch on any of the rims...
I always take my own socket, and 65lb torque stick with me, and watch to make sure they use them. The torque stick limits to 65, forcing the correct torque to be done by hand with a torque wrench. I've actually seen a couple of tire shops that also used their own torque sticks this same process as their SOP. A local Discount Tire was one of them.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I always take my own socket, and 65lb torque stick with me, and watch to make sure they use them. The torque stick limits to 65, forcing the correct torque to be done by hand with a torque wrench. I've actually seen a couple of tire shops that also used their own torque sticks this same process as their SOP. A local Discount Tire was one of them.
That is a good idea if the shop will go along with it. If they use their own 65 sticks it is probably ok too. Other than that, torque sticks can be fairly accurate but only if calibrated with a particular impact wrench at a certain air pressure and any other variables. Even a 65 could be tightening the nut to 100 depending on the impact tool used.

Sponsored

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
That is a good idea if the shop will go along with it. If they use their own 65 sticks it is probably ok too. Other than that, torque sticks can be fairly accurate but only if calibrated with a particular impact wrench at a certain air pressure and any other variables. Even a 65 could be tightening the nut to 100 depending on the impact tool used.
Hi guys, it's a little harder to obtain correct lug nuts here in Australia especially since Ford went metric with them, and ordering Gorilla lugs costs an arm and a leg as we get shafted with postage. However i wanted to ask has anyone used the Ford Performance lugs that are standard equipment on the Ford GT, they too cost a heap but i can get them here for virtually the same price as you do when the $ is converted i.e. I save the postage cost which is substantial. I know they are expensive, even in your world but i would like your opinion before i proceed. Cheers Steve.

rough68fish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2010 Dodge RAM
8F6D7C76-A5CE-4FDE-8E6C-0932F2979754.jpeg
Hi guys, it's a little harder to obtain correct lug nuts here in Australia especially since Ford went metric with them, and ordering Gorilla lugs costs an arm and a leg as we get shafted with postage. However i wanted to ask has anyone used the Ford Performance lugs that are standard equipment on the Ford GT, they too cost a heap but i can get them here for virtually the same price as you do when the $ is converted i.e. I save the postage cost which is substantial. I know they are expensive, even in your world but i would like your opinion before i proceed. Cheers Steve.
That’s what I have been running. If you don’t mind the look they are a good quality, solid lug. Since there is no cap you can use the ARP extended studs without issue.

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
Thanks but maybe i wasn't clear i was talking about the black ones with closed ends much the same as the OE ones it a supposedly hard coating that can take a bit of punishment. they are about $190 USD so not cheap even to you. Works out around $16 AU a nut here but apparently they are the best and i wont end up with the silver ring on my black PP1 wheels that some nuts give you. Any help would be appreciated .

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Mine have been fine for 30000 miles and almost 5 years. Until I went to Mall of Georgia Ford for an oil change and the Works last month. Now I have to hammer the socket on.....time for a new set!
1B343CE5-D20A-4B61-A81D-58F8C9845632.jpeg

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Mall of Georgia Ford owes you a new set for ruining the nuts by not getting full engagement with the socket.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
In stalled a new set of one piece chrome Gorilla lug nuts. So no worries for me.

Don

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I was at the dealership recently getting an oil change. The service adviser had a gimmick set up of a swollen lug nut and a socket showing folks why they needed a new set. Perhaps instead of showing the 3 customers in the waiting area the "problem" you'd push for Ford to fix it. Maybe?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I was at the dealership recently getting an oil change. The service adviser had a gimmick set up of a swollen lug nut and a socket showing folks why they needed a new set.
In that vein, perhaps Mall of Georgia Ford needs to take RIBS's lug nut and set that up as a display in the employee break room as a reminder to do even the little details of the job correctly.

Norm

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I was at the dealership recently getting an oil change. The service adviser had a gimmick set up of a swollen lug nut and a socket showing folks why they needed a new set. Perhaps instead of showing the 3 customers in the waiting area the "problem" you'd push for Ford to fix it. Maybe?

If anyone encounters a damaged lug nut and is under still under the Ford 3/36 Warranty - it should be replaced free of charge, period. Even if the Ford Service Center damages the lug upon R&R, it should be replaced.

Take pics of the wheels or lugs before the car gets serviced... this way IF the wheel or lugs get damaged during a visit, you have proof the car didn’t go into the bay with pre-existing damages.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
To save your lug nuts from the damage you see on this thread, I would avoid using an impact gun to remove and recommend using a breaker bar and a good quality socket to loosen the nuts initially. The hammering of the impact gun, to break loose nuts torqued to 150ft/lbs, is what is probably deforming the ss covers. Good luck for those who take their car in for service and ask to have them broken loose by hand.
Sponsored