Heard it from a friend - mass production next week

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Keller: Do you know how much of the car gets the additional clear coat(s)? Is it the entire car or just the sections where the stripes will be?
I don’t know.
I would assume they would just do the bumpers, trunk, hood and top.
Leaving the side of the car alone.
I am guessing that is why you can’t get painted side stripes.
Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Keller: That makes sense and I'm wondering if they remove the parts for painting. That would seem like making work so probably not. Still, I would sure like to see the process in action.
I am pretty sure they will at least remove the bumpers.

OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Happy to keep my money and have a 2nd run car. Midwest winters will preclude me from unleashing the beast from storage.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Not to get off subject but do you have any idea if the pained strip will be painted on top of the clear or cleared over? I am wondering they the will be flush to the paint or have a raised edge.
The stripes will have clear over top of them and it is also my understanding that the stripes will be flush and not have a raised edge which was exactly the same for the 2005 and 2006 Ford GT's.

:wink:

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
the stripes will be flush

PP: Yes indeed and I think the point of the painted stripes is in fact to eliminate the negative aspects of vinyl, i.e., the raised edge, damage, and color fading. In order to make this happen, Penske's gonna have to spray more than one coat of clear. No doubt they will scuff the stripes after painting and before the clear coat but I think it'll still take a couple three coats minimum to completely eliminate the paint edge.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The stripes will have clear over top of them and it is also my understanding that the stripes will be flush and not have a raised edge which was exactly the same for the 2005 and 2006 Ford GT's.

:wink:
The hope I had is that they would paint the stripes on after the base color and before any clear. This would be the best way to get a extremely smooth clear without any variations of clear thickness. For the money it sounds reasonable but I think it will be exactly as you described.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Jay: You never know cuz those bean counters are everywhere and if it makes financial sense to save X,000 gallons of clear coat and move the cars to Penske for final paint and clear, I can easily see them doing that. It could actually be happening but if/until someone on the inside confirms or denies, it's just conjecture. But boy would I like you to be right. :-) A real Ford GT paint job or at least a most excellent facsimile. :-)

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Jay: You never know cuz those bean counters are everywhere and if it makes financial sense to save X,000 gallons of clear coat and move the cars to Penske for final paint and clear, I can easily see them doing that. It could actually be happening but if/until someone on the inside confirms or denies, it's just conjecture. But boy would I like you to be right. :-) A real Ford GT paint job or at least a most excellent facsimile. :-)
When I first saw the 10k stripe option I though I bet it’s an awesome paint job with stripes.

Kinda hard to have an upgraded paint option on a 75k car without getting blasted by keyboard Warriors. But a 10k paint upgrade camouflaged as stripes is doable.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
The paint quality on a Mustang isn't worth much in the first place, let alone a paint upgrade costing $10k.

Sponsored

Sparko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT 500 convertible
Honestly don’t know, but I heard this from multiple sources. Not sure they’ll get to 5,000. I hope they’re wrong cause I don’t want to wait that long, I’m impatient lol
Since these engines are hand built how in the world can they build 5000 cars in such a short period. I don’t want my engine put together by someone who was brought in for the production push that has to have an instruction book next to him while assembling engines !

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
Since these engines are hand built how in the world can they build 5000 cars in such a short period. I don’t want my engine put together by someone who was brought in for the production push that has to have an instruction book next to him while assembling engines !
I don’t want someone that has to have an instruction book however I want someone that has one when doing it. Procedure compliance ensures repeatability and reduces mistakes minimizing risk.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
These engines are hand built by typically a 2 person team well ahead of time at the Ford Romeo Niche Engine Plant therefore suggest that you don't have much to worry about.

When production for the 2020 GT500 and CFTP cars shuts down in November the Niche Line will continue to assemble GT500 engines and at a rate of ~30 engines per day (but not sure if they work 5 or 7 days per week) this engine plant can produce at least ~625 hand built engines per month based on a 5 day week and probably had stock piled a good number of engines prior to the launch of the first scheduled production GT500's in mid September.

Really not much different than when the 2012/2013 Boss 302 engines were built ahead of time at Ford's Essex Engine Plant in Windsor, Ontario and then shipped to Flat Rock for installation. That engine plant assembled 4077 engines for the 2012 MY and 4318 engines for the 2013 MY.

:sunglasses:

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
5000 for 2020MY not before 2020

OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
They stock piled the engines before - the number would be interesting to know. That and the run rate by week should give us some indication of how many will be in this first run.
Sponsored