GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I completed my 4" to 8" SYNC 3 swap. Now I hear noise from my after market subwoofer added to the base radio... The audio is off and it sounds like still playing the radio in a faint volume... Anyone experience this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Acool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many different
What is the highest Sync version this can take?
Correcting some misinformation:

Your hardware can run 3.4 no problem. Your POI issue is software issue not hardware. Unfortunately for you, the seller didn't configure it properly.

As far as I know, there are no "Chinese knock-offs" .... I had another user send me his POI-not-working eBay Chinese molested 3.4 and I fixed it for him. His was definitely a Frankenstein of original oem Ford parts. It had a 2019 style case and probably fake label, 2018 big motherboard, 2016 OS motherboard, and a hand upgraded memory chip to make NAV capable, and of course it reports to be a non-nav unit when I polled its ID. The software ESN and hardware ESN also didn't match.

Despite being a mutt APIM of epic proportions that would probably get Hextall all worked up, it seems to work great .... POIs work perfectly and I didn't hear any other complaints from him so I assume all went well. Point being, if you get one configured properly, it should work great no matter the hardware components.

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
Correcting some misinformation:

Your hardware can run 3.4 no problem. Your POI issue is software issue not hardware. Unfortunately for you, the seller didn't configure it properly.

As far as I know, there are no "Chinese knock-offs" .... I had another user send me his POI-not-working eBay Chinese molested 3.4 and I fixed it for him. His was definitely a Frankenstein of original oem Ford parts. It had a 2019 style case and probably fake label, 2018 big motherboard, 2016 OS motherboard, and a hand upgraded memory chip to make NAV capable, and of course it reports to be a non-nav unit when I polled its ID. The software ESN and hardware ESN also didn't match.

Despite being a mutt APIM of epic proportions that would probably get Hextall all worked up, it seems to work great .... POIs work perfectly and I didn't hear any other complaints from him so I assume all went well. Point being, if you get one configured properly, it should work great no matter the hardware components.
How do you identify the newer modules at a glance?

Acool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many different
How do you identify the newer modules at a glance?
A glance won't tell you what's inside if it's been opened and modified. But generally speaking the first letter will be a K or higher and the case will look slightly different, like it won't have a physical opening for the second USB anymore. The boards inside look different too.

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But modules for different cars will start with different letters correct? I am just trying to ounderstand how the part number works in identifying the module as a 2019 versus a 2017
Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
But modules for different cars will start with different letters correct? I am just trying to ounderstand how the part number works in identifying the module as a 2019 versus a 2017
Thanks
The first letter is the year. H=2017 AND K=2019 the second two are the car line R3= Mustang. I understand that people are re-imaging APIMs and "franking" them or whatever but I was advised not to do it by someone on the HMI team at Ford.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I might be getting a '19 Base GT soon. I currently have Sync 3 working great on my '17 Base car. I pieced together my swap, but bought the harness from @HextallS550 (great guy by the way - you're ever in VA I'll buy the beer so we can talk engines again). So if I'm paying attention I need a '19 APIM to easily use the latest version of Sync 3. Okay I'm fine with that. I was also told that I need a newer bezel to get full functionality (I currently am using a 15-17 Premium bezel - I could care less if the seat cool / heat buttons don't work etc). And I'm assuming the '19 won't need a harness or a media hub? I'll be swapping the '17 back to stock so I'll have the hub, cables etc.

I currently also have (2) non nav Gen 3 APIMs if anyone needs one. I've got an ad posted in the classifieds. And if I have to get a '19 APIM I'll have (3) LOL.

Thanks.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If you don't care about the newer bezel then I would suggest you simply add the 2019 APIM. Although for people who do want the newer style bezel we are putting together a group buy for them to see if it lead them to release them faster. As of now the 19 Recaro without CD slot has been on back order since March.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't care about the newer bezel then I would suggest you simply add the 2019 APIM. Although for people who do want the newer style bezel we are putting together a group buy for them to see if it lead them to release them faster. As of now the 19 Recaro without CD slot has been on back order since March.
If the only difference is not having the seat cooling / heat buttons - and there's no functional benefit to the newer bezel, I'm find with what I got.
Let me know if you interested in giving me some trade "Credit" if I buy a Gen 4 APIM from you guys. I will have THREE of them LOL.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
We don't use or sell the 2016-17 APIMs anymore

Right now the only functional benefit is the ability to add the heated steering wheel. That could also be done by flashing new firmware with UCDS. I'm not sure if FORScan has allowed people to do that yet or not I think it was being tested in beta.. I'm honestly not using it when I do config set ups anymore.

Sponsored

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first letter is the year. H=2017 AND K=2019 the second two are the car line R3= Mustang. I understand that people are re-imaging APIMs and "franking" them or whatever but I was advised not to do it by someone on the HMI team at Ford.
Thanks. I saw first hand how those are being handled. Some are missing parts of the install.
Is there anyway to identify other modules from other cars that are Gen 4? K is for mustang but what about other cars like Edge, Explorer, or F150 etc as those can be re flashed with the asbuilt data?
I guess that by mid next year as more newer vehicles crash these will become more available
Thanks

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
I can attest to that... my APIM came out of a 2019 Mustang, and had 3.0 ... I did the flash to 3.4 with 118 maps, and so far so good...

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I completed my 4" to 8" SYNC 3 swap. Now I hear noise from my after market subwoofer added to the base radio... The audio is off and it sounds like still playing the radio in a faint volume... Anyone experience this?
Does the faint music coming from your subwoofer cut after you open the door?

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Does the faint music coming from your subwoofer cut after you open the door?
It cuts off when I turn the vehicle off, I have the remote hooked up to accessory so it turns off correctly when I turn off the vehicle... No noise... Only when radio off and car on sounds like a faint radio signal... So weird...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.