Sponsored

Competent dealer for gear swap

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
Been doing a lot of reading about trying to get off the line stronger and I think I want to try a gear swap first before getting into warranty voiding mods like a tune, converter swap, or FI. I’m in the central Ky area and dealers around here are less than competent. Had nothing but botched work and headache anytime any serious warranty work was needed on many Fords. I’m wanting the entire housing swapped and the related computer flashing done for the new gear ratio to go from 3.15 to 3.55 Torsen. Anybody have any experience with dealers actually competent to do this in Ky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, etc. Don’t mind going a few hundred miles to make sure it’s done right.
Sponsored

Sigster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Please keep everyone posted on your progress with this, and what you think about the change once done. I have also been thinking about this as a next step. Posters on other threads have come down on both sides of doing this mod, as you might expect. My local dealer quoted $950 in parts and a bunch of hours to do this project for me. Still way cheaper than a blower and possible warranty impact.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I don't trust dealers tbh. Find a decent performance shop that works on Fords to do it.

That's what I did. Swapped an entire housing out for a 2018 Torsen 3.55 not even 10K miles on it. $500.

OP
OP

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't trust dealers tbh. Find a decent performance shop that works on Fords to do it.

That's what I did. Swapped an entire housing out for a 2018 Torsen 3.55 not even 10K miles on it. $500.
If it came to that, I’d just do it myself and have the gear ratio fixed in a tune. I’m more than capable of doing it myself and even have an air conditioned garage to work in. The point is not losing the warranty on a new car, and the only way that can happen is at a dealer. I know there has to be a competent service department somewhere. Maybe not, though. Lol

BobbyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT
Just find a shop that works on Jeeps. They swap gears all year long.

Sponsored

OP
OP

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please keep everyone posted on your progress with this, and what you think about the change once done. I have also been thinking about this as a next step. Posters on other threads have come down on both sides of doing this mod, as you might expect. My local dealer quoted $950 in parts and a bunch of hours to do this project for me. Still way cheaper than a blower and possible warranty impact.
You have any experience with the service department at your dealer? You mind telling me what the exact quote was? Alpharetta, Ga isn’t too bad a drive for us and the wife loves going to Atlanta, so it wouldn’t take much taking her into the trip. Lol

Sigster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
You have any experience with the service department at your dealer? You mind telling me what the exact quote was? Alpharetta, Ga isn’t too bad a drive for us and the wife loves going to Atlanta, so it wouldn’t take much taking her into the trip. Lol
The dealer I use is Angela Krause Ford in Alpharetta GA. I bought the car there, and have had it serviced there - so far so good. In fact, their body shop just installed my new Cervinis upper and lower grille yesterday. They did an excellent job, and it was very reasonable. Nice people! On the gear swap, the parts guys quoted gear pinion assembly at $480, Diff assembly at 413, and bearing assembly at 105. They thought the shop would need 6 to 7 hours to do this, but I don't remember the hourly rate. If you come to Alpharetta, I recommend you stay in The Avalon (near the dealership) and Uber around and have some fun!
Sponsored