Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Package Priced at $4,995

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well the highest dollar option appears to be what makes it the High Performance model. And paying for it without the next most expensive option (Handling Package) really makes no sense to the target audience. What does the Eco do better than GT? Handling. To me the Handling Package by itself makes sense but Performance Package by itself doesn't. And what the hell is the $5k Performance Package? The only parts listed on the monroney are active exhaust, some stickers and a $50 to make spoiler?
If they offered the Handling Package by itself, you'd have something worth it. The cheapest MSRP you can get that for is $37.4k. Wayyyy too expensive.
Sponsored

Deleted member

I was looking at the 430i. Either way only 248HP. Both of these cars are excellent, no disrespect there. I was only trying to get across the $40k for an EB is not crazy for someone looking for this type of car.
If you believe those motors are only putting down 248hp you'd be wrong. My roommate has a 2015 328i, which has the same motor. His car was advertised at 245hp, when he got it dyno tuned, stock it put down 278whp. Bmw notoriously underrates from the factory...

Look at the 335i, when that came out it was all the rage, 300hp sports coupe. In reality its 300+whp from the factory.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Maybe we should table this conversation until we hear from a member with a EBHPP. They can then tell us why they bought it and if they feel it was worth it. Us GT folks debating this is fairly pointless as this is not a car any of us are likely to buy.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If you believe those motors are only putting down 248hp you'd be wrong. My roommate has a 2015 328i, which has the same motor. His car was advertised at 245hp, when he got it dyno tuned, stock it put down 278whp. Bmw notoriously underrates from the factory...

Look at the 335i, when that came out it was all the rage, 300hp sports coupe. In reality its 300+whp from the factory.
I don’t, I know better. The BMW was used as an example. It could be an Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti or any other 4/6 cylinder high performance coupe. Apples to apples the EBHPP could make an interesting alternative to these at a very competitive price.

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
About time that this car hit the dealer lots. Again, strange that we did not get a couple of full magazine/s test and evaluation months before the car reached the dealer-as it used to be in the past.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the horsepower wars are amongst the big boy V8’s. The EB and specifically the EBHPP are not involved in this war.
Yeah I agree. It's going to be a very hard sell.. Not sure what Ford is thinking with a turbo four costing as much as GT. Sure if it had AWD and 4 doors then that's something else but it doesn't.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah I agree. It's going to be a very hard sell.. Not sure what Ford is thinking with a turbo four costing as much as GT. Sure if it had AWD and 4 doors then that's something else but it doesn't.
If instead this vehicle had the 450hp EcoBoost V6 from the Raptor, it would sell at GT pricing.

It’s only a matter of time before we see a V6 EcoBoost Mustang. There will probably be a period where a EcoBoost V6 is offered along with a V8 like with the F150. CAFE standards dictate this.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I don't disagree with the price being high, but what problems are surfacing with the 2.3L that are killing durability?
No issues for me so far. I believe the issues happen when the power levels start going beyond 350 whp, give or take. Anything up to that point should be relatively safe. Many say you can push above that but to me it's not worth the potential risk. As long as you don't demand mind blowing power then this 4cyl engine holds up fine. Keep in mind many of the issues are on the earlier 15 and 16 models. Almost no 17's had engine issues and I have only heard of one 18 motor blowing but that was due to lspi and covered under warranty.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Well the highest dollar option appears to be what makes it the High Performance model. And paying for it without the next most expensive option (Handling Package) really makes no sense to the target audience. What does the Eco do better than GT? Handling. To me the Handling Package by itself makes sense but Performance Package by itself doesn't. And what the hell is the $5k Performance Package? The only parts listed on the monroney are active exhaust, some stickers and a $50 to make spoiler?
You get the focus RS engine. Intercooler and turbo, those are the main things that I can recall. Though I agree not worth 5k

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
If instead this vehicle had the 450hp EcoBoost V6 from the Raptor, it would sell at GT pricing.

It’s only a matter of time before we see a V6 EcoBoost Mustang. There will probably be a period where a EcoBoost V6 is offered along with a V8 like with the F150. CAFE standards dictate this.
Sign me up for one of those. That would be awesome

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
While I won't say "never", I don't see the ecoboost V6 making it into this generation of Mustang. It would have to be slated above the V8, like the F150s, and have more power to boot. But it's not like the turbo V6s in the F150 get any kind of fuel economy in real world usage compared to the V8.

My 2012 F150 with the 3.5 EB was all over the place with respect to fuel economy. I would drive the same way on the same path, and the range was 3-4mpg when comparing gallons purchased in mileage in the odo. Computer always said fuel economy was the same.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
There will probably be a period where a EcoBoost V6 is offered along with a V8 like with the F150. CAFE standards dictate this.
Or the car will just come with a guzzler tax that people will factor into the cost of the car.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i

I have a 335i with minor tweaks. If it had the 7 speed dual clutch auto, instead of the 6 speed manual, my GT would be no match for it.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Or the car will just come with a guzzler tax that people will factor into the cost of the car.
I agree the V8 isn’t going anywhere. I just see it’s only a matter of time before the Mustang follows the F150 formula of offering a EcoBoost V6 and V8 side by side.
Sponsored