Help! Tread Width Confusion

Bobombo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
I'm running performance pack wheels right now but I'm planning to go square setup.

I deciding on between 285/35/19 and 295/35/19.

I'm looking on tirerack at the tread width section (I'm assuming the contact between tire's and road's surfaces).

My 275/40/19 has 10.1 tread width, 285 has 10.0 and 295 has 9.8.

So what's the point going to 285 or even the 295?

I'm a little confuse so hopefully someone can explain it. Thanks.
Sponsored

MButler51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible, 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 1972 Chev K10 4x4 pickup (bought new).
I'm running performance pack wheels right now but I'm planning to go square setup.

I deciding on between 285/35/19 and 295/35/19.

I'm looking on tirerack at the tread width section (I'm assuming the contact between tire's and road's surfaces).

My 275/40/19 has 10.1 tread width, 285 has 10.0 and 295 has 9.8.

So what's the point going to 285 or even the 295?

I'm a little confuse so hopefully someone can explain it. Thanks.
Well, the 275, 285, or 295 number is the tireā€™s SECTION width (the measurement from the widest point of the tireā€™s sidewall to the opposite sidewall, straight thru the tire) expressed in millimeters. So that is always what it is, BUT tread width can vary a little between manufacturers. Iā€™ve been in the tire business a very long time, and I see some 295s, say, whose tread is almost as wide as the section width, and others whose tread width is slightly narrower. Are you comparing the same brand/model of tire across these sizes? If so it seems odd to me what youā€™re saying. If you were looking at different brands or models of tires, I can see it.

While Iā€™m here, I might as well talk about the aspect ratio (the ā€œprofileā€) of tires - the 40 or 35 or 50 or whatever, within the size. That number is the sidewall height (rim to tread) expressed as a percentage of the section width of the tire, so on a 30 aspect ratio tire, the sidewall will only be 30% as tall as the tire is wide. A 50 series aspect ratio will be 50% as tall as it is wide, therefore the lower the aspect ratio, the shorter the tireā€™s sidewall is, or, if you will, the lower profile the tire is.

Still, a 285/30 will always be 285 mm wide (sidewall to sidewall), and a 285/50 will also be 285 mm wide, but will be a taller diameter tire, Tread width will be close, but doesnā€™t have to be 285 mm. Usually wonā€™t be wider that 285, but will usually be a little narrower (and is expressed in inches, not millimeters). The tire business is crazy - mixing metrics and inches all the time.

OP
OP

Bobombo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Well, the 275, 285, or 295 number is the tireā€™s SECTION width (the measurement from the widest point of the tireā€™s sidewall to the opposite sidewall, straight thru the tire) expressed in millimeters. So that is always what it is, BUT tread width can vary a little between manufacturers. Iā€™ve been in the tire business a very long time, and I see some 295s, say, whose tread is almost as wide as the section width, and others whose tread width is slightly narrower. Are you comparing the same brand/model of tire across these sizes? If so it seems odd to me what youā€™re saying. If you were looking at different brands or models of tires, I can see it.

While Iā€™m here, I might as well talk about the aspect ratio (the ā€œprofileā€) of tires - the 40 or 35 or 50 or whatever, within the size. That number is the sidewall height (rim to tread) expressed as a percentage of the section width of the tire, so on a 30 aspect ratio tire, the sidewall will only be 30% as tall as the tire is wide. A 50 series aspect ratio will be 50% as tall as it is wide, therefore the lower the aspect ratio, the shorter the tireā€™s sidewall is, or, if you will, the lower profile the tire is.

Still, a 285/30 will always be 285 mm wide (sidewall to sidewall), and a 285/50 will also be 285 mm wide, but will be a taller diameter tire, Tread width will be close, but doesnā€™t have to be 285 mm. Usually wonā€™t be wider that 285, but will usually be a little narrower (and is expressed in inches, not millimeters). The tire business is crazy - mixing metrics and inches all the time.
Yes I'm looking at the same brand Michelin PS4S. The section width gets bigger with bigger tire as expected but the tread width is what I'm confused about. It should get bigger too. Did tire rack got the number wrong somehow?

Tire Tread Width.jpg

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I'm looking at the same brand Michelin PS4S. The section width gets bigger with bigger tire as expected but the tread width is what I'm confused about. It should get bigger too. Did tire rack got the number wrong somehow?

Tire Tread Width.jpg
Unfortunately, that isnā€™t always the case. Itā€™s possible that the numbers are incorrect but I doubt it as Tire Rack measures the tires (or so Iā€™ve been told) The last option says ā€œMO1 Mercedesā€ indicating that the tire is made to spec for Mercedes so itā€™s not unusual for the tread width to be larger/smaller than the same tire thatā€™s not a ā€œspecā€ tire. Another example would be the MPSS. I was in the market for 295ā€™s as well and found that there are three different 295/35/19 MPSS tires. Thereā€™s the plain Jane non spec one which has a tread width of 10ā€, an MO Mercedes spec tire with a tread width of 10.3ā€, and a Star BMW spec tire with a tread width of 10.4ā€. All of them list a section width of 11.9ā€ though

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, that isnā€™t always the case. Itā€™s possible that the numbers are incorrect but I doubt it as Tire Rack measures the tires (or so Iā€™ve been told) The last option says ā€œMO1 Mercedesā€ indicating that the tire is made to spec for Mercedes so itā€™s not unusual for the tread width to be larger/smaller than the same tire thatā€™s not a ā€œspecā€ tire. Another example would be the MPSS. I was in the market for 295ā€™s as well and found that there are three different 295/35/19 MPSS tires. Thereā€™s the plain Jane non spec one which has a tread width of 10ā€, an MO Mercedes spec tire with a tread width of 10.3ā€, and a Star BMW spec tire with a tread width of 10.4ā€. All of them list a section width of 11.9ā€ though
Definitely odd that those ā€œlargerā€ sizes are smaller, but with the Mercedes spec tire its not that unusual for it to be a bit off the others.

It is what it is. Most of the time larger sizes will be larger. Good to check the actual specs before you buy.
Sponsored