MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If the Roush is off a V6 the install will be easier (cut and clamp) without the GT catback. If it's from a GT then it will be cut and clamp with the GT catback, and another advantage is more axle back options for the GT available when you inevitably decide to try something else. :)
Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Just got a Steeda X-Pipe installed on my stock GT catback. When they started it to pull out of the muffler shop I noticed an additional bass note, which is nice. Overall, the effect is milder than I expected. I knew it would not be as much of a change as when I had an axle back, but it sounds more tame even than the video clip of stock with x-pipe from the first page of this thread. It's possible, though, that my perspective from inside the car is too limited and I would have to listen to someone else doing a drive by to be sure.

The tone didn't change much, either, which is not a bad thing. For me the stock GT has always had a little more of a "growl" during mild to moderate acceleration that I like better than the stock V6. Having a little more volume on that is good.

And at least it's loud enough now that paddle shifting is more fun again. I like to shift based on hearing the engine reach higher rpms, but the stock exhaust was so quiet I could barely hear the engine revving. Overall, a pretty good and inexpensive mod.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The higher you go in the RPMs, the bigger the difference. Both in volume and rasp, see if you can have a friend drive by for you. Even better if you swap cars and have them do a pull past on the highway to hear it in all stages.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The higher you go in the RPMs, the bigger the difference. Both in volume and rasp, see if you can have a friend drive by for you. Even better if you swap cars and have them do a pull past on the highway to hear it in all stages.
Yeah, that would definitely give me a better idea. (It would be fun to see the look on my wife's face when I tell her I need her to do a pull.) Inside the car it's more of a difference in volume at high rpms but again less than I expected. If I was to put FP Borla Touring mufflers on there, would that sound any good? :)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think so! Sound a little something like this (has shorties):

Your's right now is probably a bit less raspy but I never thought this setup sounded that raspy from the inside, tone changes completely inside vs outside!

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I think so! Sound a little something like this (has shorties):

Your's right now is probably a bit less raspy but I never thought this setup sounded that raspy from the inside, tone changes completely inside vs outside!
Yeah, somewhat raspy but pretty good overall. I am sure I have less volume than that with the stock mufflers, too. I do like the x-pipe better than the stock exhaust alone, though.

ZZxtra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang v6
I've been lurking around this thread for some time. The results the members were getting from this mod were intriguing to me.
So I pulled the trigger and located a complete 2015 GT system ($100.00). I installed it in the driveway with jack stands and the front wheels still on the ground.
The sound is more mellow to me and the GT tips are far better looking.
Thanks everyone for your research and recommendations!

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I've been lurking around this thread for some time. The results the members were getting from this mod were intriguing to me.
So I pulled the trigger and located a complete 2015 GT system ($100.00). I installed it in the driveway with jack stands and the front wheels still on the ground.
The sound is more mellow to me and the GT tips are far better looking.
Thanks everyone for your research and recommendations!
For the money you can't beat it. It also opens up more options for further modifications. I added a little more volume with an X-pipe.

ZZxtra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang v6
Follow up....

I have bad news and good news about the weight.
The bad news is I put both systems on a bathroom scale and I came up with 16 lbs heavier for the GT system.
The good news is it's over the rear wheels and low in the car.

This makes me think that Ford may have done this on purpose to help the GT off the line and keep the weight closer to 50/50 distribution (engine is heavier). The added weight that low in the car wouldn't affect handling.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I was wondering if anybody has the RTR street axlebacks on their GT catback conversion on their V6
?

PS. AM has 46% off on this specific axleback right now

Sponsored

Runitblack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang v6
I installed a cutback gt exhaust. Slightly deeper noise but nothing drastic by any means. Now that it is a full gt exhaust I would assume doing a gt after market axle back would not be and issue. Has anyone put the gt borla atak on there v6? If.so any issues with fitting it and also any sound clip?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a cutback gt exhaust. Slightly deeper noise but nothing drastic by any means. Now that it is a full gt exhaust I would assume doing a gt after market axle back would not be and issue. Has anyone put the gt borla atak on there v6? If.so any issues with fitting it and also any sound clip?
It'll fit fine, no sound clip to help you though.

Heezys6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 Mustang
Hey everyone,
Im running a 2018 GT quad tip exhaust with an unknown H-Pipe. The system came with aftermarket active exhaust valves which I removed, and left open. I absolutely love the sound, it's very raw and deeper than most exhaust systems available for the V6. However, ofcourse , the drone is pretty bad during freeway cruising at low RPMs. Here is a picture of the exhaust before install and a Rev clip from my youtube channel that I'll be starting very soon. Happy to contribute, and can answer any questions anyone might have about my setup.
IMG_20200502_1445365.jpg

Heezys6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 Mustang
Is it me or the 18s and up sound louder than the 15-17?
I think youre right. My friend has a brand new 2020 GT and does not sound stock even though it is. According to some 18-19 GT owners, the stock exhaust sounds like a 15-17 system with resonator delete. Also, having the active exhaust system can be a factor here for the 18+.
Sponsored