Sponsored

Today’s car guys vs yesterdays car guys?

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
No bashing anyone, just want to know!
I’m 55 and have gone fast pretty much all my life in several different cars, from different makers, starting with Ford, going through imports, chevys and for the last several years back to ford, where I’ll stay.
I’m struggling a little with how to put this out there without offending anyone.......so I’ll just jump in. Does anyone work on their own cars anymore? Don’t get me wrong I do know that a few do, having read some good stuff on this site.
Growing up, if you wanted a fast car, you turned wrenches.....I see people buying bolt-on kits for S550’s and then talking about labor prices....it’s bolt-on... at the same time I do understand that some require they be installed at a dealership to retain warranties.
Even here in Va where I live, I’ll go to get-to-gethers, shows, drag track, etc and listen to guys spout all the tech, and how their cars hook, make power, etc and in the same breath state it was built/modified by mr xyz......out of the couple hundred enthusiast here with newer Chevy and Ford cars only a handful have done any of the work themselves. I’ve done stuff to my different cars over the years that I didn’t know how to do, but I learned, through trial and error, blood and sweat, tears and a lot of cursing.
Maybe it’s just me....I can’t be proud of my car if I’ve paid someone else to make it what it is.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I have never taken my car to a mechanic for anything other than inspections and alignments. I've done all the work on my cars for the last 35 years myself.

As Zinc said, therapy and satisfaction.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I’m 55 and have gone fast pretty much all my life in several different cars, from different makers, starting with Ford, going through imports, chevys and for the last several years back to ford, where I’ll stay.
I’m struggling a little with how to put this out there without offending anyone.......so I’ll just jump in. Does anyone work on their own cars anymore? Don’t get me wrong I do know that a few do, having read some good stuff on this site.
Growing up, if you wanted a fast car, you turned wrenches.....I see people buying bolt-on kits for S550’s and then talking about labor prices....it’s bolt-on... at the same time I do understand that some require they be installed at a dealership to retain warranties.
Even here in Va where I live, I’ll go to get-to-gethers, shows, drag track, etc and listen to guys spout all the tech, and how their cars hook, make power, etc and in the same breath state it was built/modified by mr xyz......out of the couple hundred enthusiast here with newer Chevy and Ford cars only a handful have done any of the work themselves. I’ve done stuff to my different cars over the years that I didn’t know how to do, but I learned, through trial and error, blood and sweat, tears and a lot of cursing.
Maybe it’s just me....I can’t be proud of my car if I’ve paid someone else to make it what it is.
Yah, I'm with you. Admittedly there are some things that I dont really care to do and would farm it out (basically suspension stuff). But other than that, I like to do it myself. My last car was a 2010 SS Camaro. I did heads/cam/ headers etc...myself and your right, its a feeling of accomplishment and pride. And as you said, nothing like jumping in and getting your hands dirty to learn.

However, things are changing significantly, not only in technology but in complexity. Taking a coyote apart is far more complex than an LT1 or LS3 apart. With that, many times comes the need for special tools that are fairly expensive. Couple that with the fact that there is less to be gained overall now because these things are coming out so much more efficient. There just isn't as much to be lost, gained and learned because they are so much more efficient from the factory. But, I'm 43 and I still like to get my hands dirty. :) Probably more than you were looking for there.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
At 59 I change the oil in my vehicles. Do the brakes and tune ups. Changed the struts and rear shocks on my truck last year. I'll do most stuff if possible.

Swapped out the exhaust on my Mustang. It took me just one hour btw. I don't understand younger guys that bring there Mustang to a shop to do that but okay. Maybe they don't have tools, ramps or the now how I'm guessing ?

IMO, buy the the tools, a ramp and google it. Youtube has a video to do pretty much anything. Or maybe theyre just to lazy to learn or do it or can't be bothered ? I quess if I lived in a city or apartment and didn’t have the space to do it all I’d just bring it to the shop and pray they do it right.

We all roll differently so roll the way you want.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I hear ya... built not bought comes into play here as well for me

I do most of my own work. If I can't figure something out, I'll seek a second opinion(help or advice from forums, YouTube, or a friend or mechanic buddy). It took me awhile to accrue specialized tools like ball joint presses because they are expensive. But even with the cost of tools, you're saving money doing your own work and you have the tool for next time. Wrenching is something I enjoy(most of the time) to do. It helps relieve stress and get my mind from wandering too much. I believe the joy from wrenching comes from my grandfather who liked to tinker with cars and tools. If he didn't have something he wouldn't go buy it, he would try to make it. Man I miss him! We had good times together. The joy also comes from me liking to tinker as well. Maybe that's why I work in IT. Or maybe IT is the reason I like to work on cars. My IT job is a lot of sitting working on infrastructure. Working on cars allows me to do something physical with my body instead of mental.

This past year some rust started to develop on my Jeep and now instead of calling around to see how much rust repair would be(I'm guessing a minimum of a bill($1000), I started looking at welding equipment online and how to weld.

My point in everything I said is... some people have it and some people either don't have it or don't care to have it. Let's be honest, some people just shouldn't work on cars. They would either f something up or injure themselves. Neither scenario is good for their health or their wallet. Maybe that person loves cars, the car experience, the sounds, and looks that they get. Nothing wrong with that.

Another scenario... maybe a person has more money than time. There is a physician that drives a Viper or his Lambo to the local Cars N Coffee event around me. He's a super nice guy but stays busy inside and outside of work. He doesn't have any financial stress in his life but also doesn't have time to do much either. He can send his car to the dealership to get worked on while he does other things.

We can all be car guys together, but different types of car guys. Car guys that like to work on their cars. Car guys that can appreciate an exhaust note that is music to their ears. Car guys that share an interest in a common make and model car. Car guys that love unique car builds. The joy of the world is the uniqueness of the world. No two people are the same.

Just my .02.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
Cars are much more complicated now, many people are intimidated by the complex electrical systems that control every aspect of the car. I know that I was until recently.

I knew almost nothing about cars, and the only thing that got me wrenching on my own car is the fact that the dealers somehow knew even less than me.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
One difference is today's car guys may virtue signal less. :wink:

But I scratch my head sometimes too. For example when someone pays to have jacking rails removed (and then finds out later they didn't even do it right - yes, it IS possible).

I feel the same about people who wear store bought clothes when you can buy material and make your own. And even some of those that properly make their own clothes cheat and buy patterns.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I do my own work, installation, modifications, add on’s except alignments and warranty work.

Basic oil changes, tire rotations etc. I do my self knowing it’s done right and damage free. Even if I got lifetime oil changes/tire rotations I would still do it myself.

I’ve had mechanics at dealerships scratch my car up pretty bad doing basic oil changes and say nothing about the damage.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I do everything myself also but in todays fast paced world I can understand guys taking it to a shop. Sometimes its easier to make your money doing what you know how to do (day job)and letting someone else make their money doing what they know how to do (shop)

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
......Does anyone work on their own cars anymore? Don’t get me wrong I do know that a few do, having read some good stuff on this site......Growing up, if you wanted a fast car, you turned wrenches.....I see people buying bolt-on kits for S550’s and then talking about labor prices....it’s bolt-on... at the same time I do understand that some require they be installed at a dealership to retain warranties.......
1. Cars don't need much anymore. They're pretty ready to go right off the lot.
2. People in big cities don't have garages/tools/space/etc. to be able to work on cars, so they let someone else turn the wrenches. I used to do my own stuff, but can't anymore for these reasons.
3. There are still plenty of people that turn their own wrenches.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Up until now, all I have used a dealer for is warranty work. I will likely buy a Supercharger kit in the next few months and I have already spoken to the dealer tech about an installation. I could probably do it but since the tech has done several others and is extremely knowledgeable, I am going to have him do it. I have always done my own maintenance. I have also replaced my driver's side axle and installed the BMR cradle lockout kit and vertical links.

CodyO32689

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, MT-82, Oxford White | 2013 Infiniti G37x
I'm 30 years old and my dad and I have done all of the work on my cars (other than alignments and tire mounting/balancing since we don't have that equipment available). Most of the time for me it came down to not trusting other people to do the work to my standards (I'm admittedly too picky most of the time). That being said, I'm no mechanic but the information out there on the web nowadays makes it much easier to tackle something you aren't totally comfortable with. Not to mention there is a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that comes with completing the task on your own. I would imagine some folks aren't into doing it on their own, and I guess that's fine too. To each their own.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

What you are talking about is time spent in youth. Most of the guys that talk about working on cars did so when they were young with a father/grandfather.

In the last 15 years the number of “other” things to do has grown substantially. Games, phones, and general couchness have replaced Saturday morning wrenching with dad.

I work on everything I own. My father dad the same. His father did the same.

I think it all boils down to how we grew up and what we learned.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’ve owned (20) Mustangs to date, including my 94 Cobra and current 18 S550...

I’ve done everything from stripping a car down to a bare shell and building it back up with aftermarket “XYZ”. That includes but is not limited to exhaust from engine back, suspension (every part associated), trans swaps from auto to manual and visa versus, engine swaps, brake system upgrades, complete interior swaps (like NOTHING left on inside), etc...

Hell, my prior 1986 GT T-top - this one guy in our group totaled his brand new 91 GT. I bought the complete interior, rear 1/4 glass and Pony’s from it and did my own Fox conversion before anyone was doing it as the majority “norm”. I had the electric seats powered, lighted sun visors, etc all totally functional as if the 86 was built that way. I trimmed the 91 rear 1/4 interior panels to work in the 86 - after all, there was no T-top after 88....

Of course the above means absolutely nothing to you young Mustang folks - BUT in 1991, an 86 GT was only 5 years old AND no one was doing “mash ups” yet with the old vs new Fox bodies... everything at that time period was “new” between the 79-86 vs 87-91’s and internet sucked...

Hell we were on “bulletin boards”... in fact, I’ve been a member over on Corral.net since it was a bulletin board system and Chris Ihara converted it to what everyone now calls “forums”. I’m still a member there - and have offered thousands of posts with tech... my 94 Cobra was featured in a NITTO Tire ad that was from a Corral contest. That ad ran in multiple Mustang magazines for years and NITTO was kind enough to send all participants a nice 24x30 poster of the exact ad.

I’ve had:

(2) Full size Broncos (87 and 94) - did work on those as well (they’re nothing more than a grown up Mustang)... LOL. The 94, the damn engine blew #4 and #8 rods through the block and oil pan on the highway when I was cruising @65 mph - this happened immediately after buying it from a local mom-n-pop dealer (test drive went fine, no apparent issues)... Dealer gave me $ to fix, ending up doing a complete GT40 5.0 setup in it.

(2) BMW’s - 95 M3 and 91 318is convertible. Great cars, easy to work on, no real issues. BMW has just as large an aftermarket for these cars as the Mustang.

(1) Jeep Wrangler - 1992 “Sport” straight 6 - manual. Blew the ujoints out shifting it like a Mustang... hahaha. It was fun taking it off road and shit, but just not a “Jeep” person after having one.

(1) 1970 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - black over red leather. This was my first “tinker” car. This monster had the 7.7 472cu V8 in it. This was a BIG car at nearly 18ft long for a coupe! My grandfather had a 1979 4-door Lincoln Town Car - with the Caddy beside it, the Caddy was nearly as long!

(1) 79 Town Car mentioned above (inherited).

(1) 2007 Mercury Milan - eh, it was good car. Never really did anything with it, just a driver.

(1) 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe (2.0T) - great car, never had a single issue since new car ownership at all. It had a lot of power for what it was and the suspension on it handled excellent in stock form. Easy car to work on. Only had to do regular oil changes and 1 new set of tires in almost 90k of ownership. I traded this for my prior 2016 S550 which turned into a Lemon. It’s a shame Hyundai stopped production on them, they really had something going...

———
I’ve been around the block many times... So consider me “old school” where I’ve done the basics from oil changes to brakes, to going full out tear downs and build ups. If I can do it, I’ll do it, if I can’t or don’t have the necessary down time - it goes to the Service Center.

With a car under warranty - you bet I’m going to utilize the warranty up until it’s expired....regardless if I can do the repair.
Sponsored