Which DIY ceramic coating?

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i used cquartz uk.. easy to apply and keep .. i use reload every 3rd wash its garaged so its not in the weather all day and night did a few of my buddies cars also ... mine is 2 yrs old and still looks like it did when i bought it

i also did 2 coats did one waited 48 hrs then did another then hit it with a reload right after.. did my rims the same way they clean up so much easier. just soap and water
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
^^^ +1 to this although I was dumb and did not do but one coat.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
What makes you say it's junk though? Any personal experience with it? I've got a guy to sell me Gtechniq at his dealer rate + shipping so that's likely going to be what I end up doing, but interested in what's junk about Shield.
Low silica content and poor durability.

Ask yourself why most coating kits run $75-$250 for usually around 60ml of product, and why he's selling 4 OUNCES for $39. The product is only advertised to last a year(probably does not even last that long as longevity is always exaggerated), which tells me it's a sealer and not a true coating.

I'll reserve other comments about youtube clowns for another time.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Thanks! It was REALLY easy to use. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQ2BL92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I got the complete kit with the primer, ceramic coating, and booster plus 3 super soft towels. It says it should last 6-8 months. It's much easier to apply and remove than regular wax. I washed the car with dish soap and dried it; wiped on the primer and let it evaporate (I think it just might be some kind of isopropyl alcohol); wipe on and off the ceramic, and let it "cure" for at least 4 hours. Then wipe on and off the booster. The wipe on/off takes maybe 20 minutes per product. The car only has 3000 miles on it so I didn't need to clay bar it, but I've used Mother's clay bar on other cars and it does a nice job. Now THAT is more labor intensive.
Car looks good and the product protects, but let's not confuse spray silica products(which by themselves are a good option) with true ceramic coatings, please.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Car looks good and the product protects, but let's not confuse spray silica products(which by themselves are a good option) with true ceramic coatings, please.
Sounds like you're correcting my calling the Adams product that I used a ceramic? That's what they advertise it as, and they sell separate ceramic and Si02 products. Perhaps you should take this up with their chemists and marketing folks, sounds like grounds for a false advertising claim.

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Thread title is “best DIY ceramic coating.”

The product you used isn’t a true ceramic coating, although Adam’s calls it that. Many companies are slapping the word “ceramic” on anything and everything in an effort to sell product to people whom don’t do research.

Don’t shoot the messenger. Take it up with them. I’m just clarifying for people whom might be trying to gather information about actual ceramic coatings.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I really don't care what they call it, and I'm not shooting the messenger. If you are knowledgeable enough to convince them that they're wrong, please do the community a favor and correct them.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
SMH.

It’s a marketing buzzword. They know it’s not accurate, I don’t have to tell them and of course they’re going to say it’s a coating because in a technical sense they’re correct.... but their job is to sell product first, be accurate second... But when the term ceramic coating is used, especially in the detailing industry, we aren’t talking about silica sprays.

My posts are meant to guide people whom want a diy ceramic coating to purchase a REAL high solid ceramic coating, not a sealer.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
SMH.

It’s a marketing buzzword. They know it’s not accurate, I don’t have to tell them and of course they’re going to say it’s a coating because in a technical sense they’re correct.... but their job is to sell product first, be accurate second... But when the term ceramic coating is used, especially in the detailing industry, we aren’t talking about silica sprays.

My posts are meant to guide people whom want a diy ceramic coating to purchase a REAL high solid ceramic coating, not a sealer.
Then thank you for your contribution.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Currently car is sprayed down with the Meguair's Hybrid Ceramic Wax - which like the Adam's offering is not a true ceramic but does have nice hydrophobic qualities.

That being said I work only a couple miles from the home office of Gtechniq so intend to swing by and talk to them about their line of products and make an application in the months to come.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Update...tonight I washed it for the first time since applying the Adams product-with-the-word-ceramic-on-the-bottle and was amazed at how the hose water shed off the car. Never saw anything like it with any wax. It was like the water was falling straight off the sides without even touching it, and that was just rinsing it off before washing it.
Sponsored