Sponsored

I really want one.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Idk what happened in my brain today but I really , really want the new mustang inspired ev crossover. Especially if it has the rumored 370 mile range. What an awesome daily. Then id have my loud, gas drinking beast for the weekend.

Yeah I like that future.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Idk what happened in my brain today but I really , really want the new mustang inspired ev crossover. Especially if it has the rumored 370 mile range. What an awesome daily. Then id have my loud, gas drinking beast for the weekend.

Yeah I like that future.
Don't feel bad, lately I have really been considering getting a Tesla model 3. Something about paying $3 to fill the tank and having a car nearly as quick as a mustang gt just makes sense.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Don't feel bad, lately I have really been considering getting a Tesla model 3. Something about paying $3 to fill the tank and having a car nearly as quick as a mustang gt just makes sense.

My buddy has a Tesla 3 Dual Motor AWD.

Holy crap that thing is fast :rockon:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
My buddy has a Tesla 3 Dual Motor AWD.

Holy crap that thing is fast :rockon:
Ya I bet. I was looking at a used long range, thinking of getting rid of the truck for that. Hardly use the truck for it's intended purpose anyway

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Well I'm not sold on current evs. Something about a sub 300 mile charge worries me.

But if we had a great mustang branded 370 range car? I don't care if it has 2, 4 or 6 doors I just want it. Plus I imagine it'll look great sitting next to a "real" mustang in the garage!

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I watched a youtube video of a guy mathing out the first year of model 3 ownership. Using that, I did my own math just before purchasing my mustang and would have been nearly the same investment for the super base bare bones model 3 as my GT PP1, including home charger and all you need to own a model 3. Then it's the gas vs. charging per mile and I would only save $1200 a year....for a much less fun car imo and base trim level, just wasn't for me. I love the idea of EVs and want them to take off but the ones I've test driven are so plain and boring and when you want the actually fast ones, open up that wallet. I drove a model S with all the bells and whistles (130k car!) and yes it was a rocket ship but it didn't even have a jack in the back to charge a device. I think they're (EVs) are the cusp of something great but just not there yet. Unfortunately to take off, they need us to buy them. The other thing to consider is if our current power plants can even handle millions of EVs charging every night and if they ramp up production of power, is it actually saving fossil fuels? Sorry, early morning rant mode.

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
i got walked by a dual motor tesla 3 the other night. was really impressed with the speed it was able to just throwdown

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
I watched a youtube video of a guy mathing out the first year of model 3 ownership. Using that, I did my own math just before purchasing my mustang and would have been nearly the same investment for the super base bare bones model 3 as my GT PP1, including home charger and all you need to own a model 3. ..... The other thing to consider is if our current power plants can even handle millions of EVs charging every night and if they ramp up production of power, is it actually saving fossil fuels? Sorry, early morning rant mode.
You don't need a home charger to own a Model 3. You can trickle charge from a 120V outlet overnight and be fine unless you drive 200+ miles every day.

And most power plants don't use fossil fuels anymore. All of my electricity comes from nuclear. Most that do still use fossil fuels are gas/oil plants, which are still far more efficient then gas engines.

There are still a lot of myths about electrical cars that need to be dispelled, and while the technology is still improving it's already at the point of being worth it for most people.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Couple things that keep me away from EVs right now.

1) Charging speed. Still takes too long
2) Initial cost
3) Range in extreme temperatures
4) Not completely necessary, but I'm sure I would miss the sound. That exhaust note :)

Interesting enough, earlier today I saw a Tesla go through a flooded area with ease.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
You don't need a home charger to own a Model 3. You can trickle charge from a 120V outlet overnight and be fine unless you drive 200+ miles every day.

And most power plants don't use fossil fuels anymore. All of my electricity comes from nuclear. Most that do still use fossil fuels are gas/oil plants, which are still far more efficient then gas engines.

There are still a lot of myths about electrical cars that need to be dispelled, and while the technology is still improving it's already at the point of being worth it for most people.
There are other issues that it seems almost never get discussed.
Battery life.
Disposal + Cost of said batteries when they reach the end of their life.

In the U.S:

A tick over 19% of all electricity generated by Nuclear power
Coal 27%
Natural Gas 35%
Hydro 7%
Wind 6%

See here:

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

The Palo Verde plant in AZ is the largest producing nuclear plant in the U.S.

Nuclear power is the only common sense choice for producing electricity in the United States - but years of EPA legislation and grants and programs designed to make solar and wind "competitive" (hint - they aren't and wind will never be for the vast majority of the U.S and solar is hampered by location and battery storage technology)

The trust cost of an EV has to take in account the subsidies and tax deductions given to boost sales of these vehicles. Taxpayer funds have propped up the industry in the U.S. - see all those Tesla charging stations being installed across the country?

Tesla motors has come along way - but the entire car business for Musk loses money. His other interests make the money (plus subsidies and loans from the government) that drives Tesla motors.

The issues of how to dispose and recycle all these batteries is still in flux.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Nice to know about the trickle charger, my car is strictly for work commute so that would totally work for me. Couldn't agree more on the myths either. I know my parents ( both retired) are looking at an EV in the near future. My dad isn't giving up his 69 Nova though lol.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Interesting enough, earlier today I saw a Tesla go through a flooded area
Did it leave a trail like this?

Reactions: Ebm

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If people think they are "saving the planet" by buying electric cars, they are either ignorant of the full reality of electric cars, or chose to live in denial.

Without going into extreme detail because I have no interest in sitting at my computer for two hours typing let me put it in very, very simple terms below:

If the entire first-world (U.S./Canada/Europe/Australia) somehow stopped using gasoline/diesel, then the demand would drop on a massive, massive scale. Well, what happens to the price of something when the demand bottoms out? Yes, the price drops accordingly. Which means if the price of gasoline/diesel dropped to say 1/3 the price it is now, then gasoline/diesel become affordable to people living in undeveloped/underdeveloped areas of the planet such as Africa/SE Asia; and THEY will burn it.

If you don't think that we as a species won't burn every last drop of petroleum that we can get our grubby, little hands on; well you are living in a fantasy land.

And if we as a species are going to burn it all, then please let me joint in on the party!

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Easier explained than that. Recent studies showed that if the U.S. immediately stopped ALL fossil fuel use / carbon output, worldwide figures would not go down. See China and India.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Easier explained than that. Recent studies showed that if the U.S. immediately stopped ALL fossil fuel use / carbon output, worldwide figures would not go down. See China and India.
Yep. That's why I assume the details of the green new deal include nuking the rest of the world into the stone age before we do anything else in the plan. Shouldn't get much blow-back. Surely, they can understand we are doing it for their own good.
Sponsored