Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenn
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 2021 F150 SE 2018 MKC
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is at the dealer now for a motor
I just got my car back from the dealer. They are going to perform the oil consumption test since I've been adding a quart every 500 miles or so. (2016 w/7500 miles)

My SA showed me a letter from Ford stating "Ford performance vehicles may burn a quart of oil every 500 miles and that's normal"!?!?!

They told me to drive it for 200 miles then return it to the dealer. Depending on their findings, I'll learn if a new motor is in my future.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It makes me wonder if Ford knows this, and I think they do. Meaning, if we know the viscosity drops, I assume they do as well and planned accordingly. Maybe that's why this engine calls for 5W50 and not 5W30 or something like that, to allow for the reduction.

Look, it would be VERY easy for Ford to call for another brand of oil, like they do with the GT, like so many other manufacturers do with other cars. It can't be that they are pushing the sale of 5W50 Motorcraft in a low production, so don't say it's a money grab. Hell, they could have re-branded Amsoil if they wanted to.

I'm sticking with Motorcraft and my 8 year warranty.
Of course Ford knows it. What's interesting is that I recently posted a UOA on TMO of Motorcraft 5w50 that had run 6500 miles including 1200 track miles. My OLM was at 11%. Wear metals, very small - iron was at 10, everything else was less than 10. TBN was 7.6 and nitration was 8 - both are excellent. Viscosity was 16.0 cSt, just a hair under the SAE 50 range that starts at 16.3. This was the new-ish MC oil that comes in bottles with the large top.

As for the Castrol thing for the GT - that's marketing. Both MC and Castrol meet the same Ford spec - so does Lucas 5w50 for that matter - they're interchangeable.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I just got my car back from the dealer. They are going to perform the oil consumption test since I've been adding a quart every 500 miles or so. (2016 w/7500 miles)

My SA showed me a letter from Ford stating "Ford performance vehicles may burn a quart of oil every 500 miles and that's normal"!?!?!

They told me to drive it for 200 miles then return it to the dealer. Depending on their findings, I'll learn if a new motor is in my future.
The idiots at my dealer couldn’t figure out the car was 2 quarts down after 325 miles. They told me a half a quart. We put two in and it was still low. Not sure how to feel.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenn
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 2021 F150 SE 2018 MKC
Vehicle Showcase
The idiots at my dealer couldn’t figure out the car was 2 quarts down after 325 miles. They told me a half a quart. We put two in and it was still low. Not sure how to feel.
OMG, that's scary! I hoping to have a better experience, but they already scraped my front splitter leaving the lot for a test drive.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
OMG, that's scary! I hoping to have a better experience, but they already scraped my front splitter leaving the lot for a test drive.
The tech that told me it was only a half a quart down is the same guy that will be replacing my engine. Even the service manager backed what he said and I had to force the issue and take them out back and put two quarts in while we rechecked the level. “He’s been doing this 17 years so if he says it’s a half quart low then it’s a half a quart low” and I said “if it’s only a half quart low I’ll admit myself to the psychiatric ward tomorrow.” Fucking idiots. Two quarts in and still not up to the line and all I get is the ??? look.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Uhhh, 'pissed'...'very relucant to let them touch the car' ?? Sad to hear this!

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350

Why is it so hard to read a "Dipstick?" :crazy:

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
You would be surprised how hard it is to read the dipstick on these cars. But even as hard as it is you would be able to see if none is showing on the dipstick.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I spoke too soon. I was in to get an engine then the service dept said they found a bit of oil in the pcv so that’s obviously my issue, right? Let’s totally forget that the first two times I brought it in for oil consumption when it was burning a quart every 400 miles that the pcv had no oil. Now it has a few drops it must be the problem. This after being told it was only 0.5 quarts short even though it was down over 2. Never seen such incompetence, and I’ve made over 10 visits about oil consumption. I’m getting close to avoiding Fords in the future. This is getting old. I’m going to pick up the car today and I’m 100% sure I’ll be back in a week since I’ve been putting a quart in every time I fill the tank. FML.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
That's absurd. There will always be "bit of oil" in the PCV.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
try a different dealership?
Yes. I'd say its about 99.99% sure the one he's going to is either incompetent OR can't admit a mistake.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That's absurd. There will always be "bit of oil" in the PCV.
And as expected and as I told them it would be, I’m down 1 quart after 250 miles with the pcv replacement. LoL.