Sponsored

Will I need Ball Bearing Turbos? What to buy for a Twin Turbo setup...

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Hey guys, looking at a few different kits.

Aldo Welds Mid Mount Kit ~$9k for precision 6266 journal bearing w/4.5" a2a intercooler, custom kooks headers, etc.
Hellion Sleeper Kit ~$7.4k for precision 6266 journal bearing, does not include headers
Local Seller Brad New On3 Bottom mount Kit - $5.5k for precision 6266 ball bearing w/a ton of goodies like boost leash controller, dual catch can, billet coolant tank, other stuff

Plans for the car:
1. Don't plan on ever pushing it past 16 psi. Maybe if I get a built short block I'll max it around 20 psi but that should be it.
2. Street duty mostly; occasional strip (rare).
3. Not too picky on the spool rate of the turbos; I just want to have a car that can trap 150s and do well on the occasional visits to Mexico.

With that in mind, do I need the ball bearing turbo upgrade on the first two options? Are the 6266 precisions the best set for my application? Should I scrap all of this and do a single?
Sponsored

Friesian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Aldo welds kit is nice and well worth the money for what you get. LPF also has a good kit. I actually went with the hellion sleeper kit. All 3 are good. imo I wouldn't consider anything else for twin kits.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Aldo welds kit is nice and well worth the money for what you get. LPF also has a good kit. I actually went with the hellion sleeper kit. All 3 are good. imo I wouldn't consider anything else for twin kits.
Which turbos did you end up going with?

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Here is the on3 setup:
CC0EBEC0-BE60-490D-8D0A-124E3BF9B603.jpeg

BBCE78BA-8F18-4586-96EB-1DBA7D46C838.jpeg
E58C9EEB-8CBC-4498-9028-F8C7889BD0F6.jpeg
BE583B5E-0CF6-467A-9F1B-922D2957F90B.jpeg

This is the Hellion setup my buddy Justin went with (nightparade)

3FD0716D-CFD5-40B1-9234-3DC225C69CDD.jpeg

E30A7D38-147E-40BA-9460-C630B1216217.jpeg

And here is the Aldo kit (credit to Jayman for these pics)
8E854FF9-D163-40EB-89A0-135E43446120.jpeg
205F81C8-AA3D-4AF9-AD70-C491DF22DE98.jpeg

All very similar kits. Just looking for reliability and to not spend extra money when I don’t really need to.

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
@aleccesarenriquez without derailing the thread, why are you switching from the centri? Just to get a feel for TT?

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
@aleccesarenriquez without derailing the thread, why are you switching from the centri? Just to get a feel for TT?
Pretty much to make more power, more efficiently as well. Love my little Paxton but i'll be close to the limits of the blower here soon.

Plus I would like to know what torque feels like lol

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
haha I hear ya. I would think that with the 3.48, e85 and 4.10s you would have all the power down low but I guess it doesnt feel the same as twins.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
haha I hear ya. I would think that with the 3.48, e85 and 4.10s you would have all the power down low but I guess it doesnt feel the same as twins.
The 4.10s are to offset the long gearing the of the T56. The setup is similar to what 3.15-3.31s would feel like in an Mt82.

So yeah I basically feel a whole not of nothing until 5k rpm.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I went with the bast 6266 cast turbos. I plan on turning it way down on the street and probably never go over 800 hp
I just spoke with Jeff (I think that was his name; super helpful guy btw) from Hellion and he actually recommends the Base 6266 cast turbos with the ball bearing upgrade over the journal bearing 6266 Precisions. Go figure; good way to save a bit of cash too as the precision bb are a $2300 upgrade vs the hellion cast bb turbos which are only a $500 upgrade.

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I have no dog in this race, but as far as turbo kits go, I’d be looking at a Hellion sleeper kit.

Why? Because they have proven themselves with solid after-sale support. That goes a long way in my books.

Heard nothing but positive feedback on their base turbos. Why spend more if they get the job done? I think the Precision’s come with a slightly longer warranty, if that is of importance to you.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I went through the same decision process about about a year ago. I decided to go with the hellion sleeper kit with the Precision 62/66 Journal Bearing turbos. I should have just went with the BB turbos to begin with but they are doing good so far. I have heard good things about the base turbos as well but they are water cooled and it adds to the complexity of the install and will be more trouble when if you have to remove them to pull the trans. I was looking into the aldo kit as well but decided on the hellion because I preferred to have the backing of a larger business. I thought the aldo kit was a bit cheaper than the numbers you quoted though. I paid 7800 for my hellion kit with precision turbos and larger headers. I would not go smaller than the 62/66 because my car spools plenty fast. I think 150 plus in the 1/4 is a lofty goal with a manual car and stock motor. It is possible but it may cost you a transmission or motor.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I went through the same decision process about about a year ago. I decided to go with the hellion sleeper kit with the Precision 62/66 Journal Bearing turbos. I should have just went with the BB turbos to begin with but they are doing good so far. I have heard good things about the base turbos as well but they are water cooled and it adds to the complexity of the install and will be more trouble when if you have to remove them to pull the trans. I was looking into the aldo kit as well but decided on the hellion because I preferred to have the backing of a larger business. I thought the aldo kit was a bit cheaper than the numbers you quoted though. I paid 7800 for my hellion kit with precision turbos and larger headers. I would not go smaller than the 62/66 because my car spools plenty fast. I think 150 plus in the 1/4 is a lofty goal with a manual car and stock motor. It is possible but it may cost you a transmission or motor.
I should be ok on the trans for a while now but if I can squeeze out about 1000whp on this setup and do some serious weight reduction, I think it might be doable (I know it's tricky with manuals and IRS but I think I might be able to do it). Mid 140s is a more realistic goal. So far I've only done roll events and maybe I'll be happy with trapping 150 in those, since they eliminate the launching. So far, the roll events I've been to, people have been trapping what they would trap in the quarter and I'm about a mid 130s car right now so hitting 150 would be amazing. I know the aldo cars have hit low-mid 160s stock motor, but of course in a 6r80 and 10r80.

As far as the turbos you ended up going with, have you pushed your car into the higher boost range frequently? Say 15+ psi? I would obviously prefer the quality of the precisions but if Hellion is telling me I'll be better off with their cast bb over precision's jb, I'm more than happy to do that. I.e. is it really worth it to spend $2k more on the precisions if the cast bb ones can hold the same power reliably

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I should be ok on the trans for a while now but if I can squeeze out about 1000whp on this setup and do some serious weight reduction, I think it might be doable (I know it's tricky with manuals and IRS but I think I might be able to do it). Mid 140s is a more realistic goal. So far I've only done roll events and maybe I'll be happy with trapping 150 in those, since they eliminate the launching. So far, the roll events I've been to, people have been trapping what they would trap in the quarter and I'm about a mid 130s car right now so hitting 150 would be amazing. I know the aldo cars have hit low-mid 160s stock motor, but of course in a 6r80 and 10r80.

As far as the turbos you ended up going with, have you pushed your car into the higher boost range frequently? Say 15+ psi? I would obviously prefer the quality of the precisions but if Hellion is telling me I'll be better off with their cast bb over precision's jb, I'm more than happy to do that. I.e. is it really worth it to spend $2k more on the precisions if the cast bb ones can hold the same power reliably
I would question the mid to high 160s on the stock motor. Most of the cars that have his kit have installed built motors. I have been running my car at around 14psi and it runs 148-150 in the 1/4. I had a Paxton as well before switching to turbos and the swap was pain since I had to pull the long tube headers and it was a lot of money. The stock motor will not live long term at 1000RWHP. If you are planning to push it that hard be prepared to buy a motor. Also plan to make sure you have the right fuel system and a good boost controller. I don't think there is enough evidence out there to determine if the precision turbos are worth the extra money. I have had the turbos off my car a few times and it would have been a pain in the ass to drain the coolant every time.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Yeah you’re right; nothing I could find in the low 160s. This was the fastest stock motor pass I could find (I could’ve sworn I saw the maroon midnight car make a pass at 163 on the stock motor still. I knew those high 168, 8.2 passes were built mpr shortblock)

Funnily enough this pass was with the precision 6266 jb (Aldo base kit)
4D88B11C-0790-42A1-BDBC-DE5DA148ECBC.jpeg
Sponsored