2018 Mustang GT 3-4 shift fork broke

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I Just broke my 3-4 shift fork in my car today. Has anyone gotten theirs warrantied having a blower and a short throw shifter on? I’m assuming Ford can’t prove that either mod broke the fork plus I see there is a TSB for them anyways. Any input or suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Edit 09/11/19 adds ‘sarcasm’ tags to this line and small anti-fraud statement:

{sarcasm}Put the stock shifter back in...{/sarcasm}

(Don’t attempt warranty fraud by swapping stock parts back in to claim manufacturer defect or deficiencies)

——
The supercharger is separate from the transmission - unless they can prove the supercharge caused the failure, they shouldn’t even consider it during the diagnosis.

Plus with the Ford TSB’s being out for the 2018-19 shift fork failures (see here):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-regarding-busted-1-2-3-4-shift-forks.113062/

It’s already a known issue that those are susceptible to premature breakage.

Last edited:

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Cobra Jet, you've flamed multiple users here for trying to get engine replacements covered when they had a tune on their cars, now you're advocating that OP should swap out his aftermarket shifter to a stock one and take it in? I find that a bit hypocritical.

You've accused people of fraud in a few threads, now you seem to be advocating it. Short shifter can exert additional forces onto the forks. Your input is extremely valuable on here, but I can't help finding your comment a bit weird.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the kind words.

And things can sound or be interpreted as ‘weird’ if taken out of context....

1st, I’ve never “flamed” anyone for engine replacements or tunes. I had previously discussed concerns about (2) members on here claiming their vehicles as being “lemons” and each getting a replacement S550. They had requested my assistance in helping them successfully go through the Ford RAV Buy Back (of which I still retain their PM’s)... only after giving them much of my time, then finding out from other members on here that both of those people had purposefully modified their vehicles with tunes and other parts, eventually leading to engine damage, then each acted and claimed “lemon” as if it was a manufacturing defect, hell yes did I call them out for fraud. Had I known they were dishonest from the start, I would not have offered any help at all. It’s ok, because their VINs are logged (and they were silly enough to post how they beat the snot out of their prior S550’s with their installed mods)

I have also given advice in posts where:
A) if someone was racing and damage occurred from racing or after being in a timed event, Ford’s legal team was smart enough to put a sub-clause in the warranty docs. That sub-clause notes that if the Service Center can prove damage (irregardless of type of damage) was caused by “racing”, then yes Ford can deny warranty work or in some cases, void the remaining vehicle warranty.
B) if a tune is installed, engine damage occurs and Owner tried to play it off as the engine just failed under normal conditions, that Ford can find out by key cycles and again can deny warranty repairs or void remaining vehicle warranty.

2nd, maybe I should have been more clear in my initial response above to the OP, because yes it’s a weird response, I was being sarcastic in a dry sense, because on this site - many folks like to perpetuate “it just broke, it’s Ford’s fault, I wasn’t doing anything except driving......but I have 20 mods on my car, just got back from the track and put down 10’s”...

The OP could reinstall the stock shifter OR leave in the aftermarket. Putting the stock shifter in or leaving the aftermarket won’t matter at all in this specific case, because:

(A) the car is supercharged, which should not have any bearing on the broken shift forks, BUT depending on the Dealer, they could use that against him and give him a hard time claiming the damage is due to user abuse or error. As I said above, I don’t think the dealership or Service Center should include that fact into any of their diagnosis, but every Dealer is different.

(B) the Ford TSB’s for the shift forks exist and therefore whether the stock shifter OR any aftermarket shifter (or going a step further, say if an aftermarket clutch was installed), Ford really can’t deny warranty repair. The 1-2 and 3-4 shift forks, PLUS a TSB for stack tolerances are known issues and have been a common failure in 2018-2019 MT82 equipped S550’s. The OP could install a broomstick, a spoon or a toilet plunger in place of the shifter.

The stock shifter also exerts excessive force on the weak shift fork components found in the 2018-19 MT82 - otherwise Ford wouldn’t have created a legal doc (TSB) instructing it’s Dealer Network of the issue and proper warranty repair. That doc is also logged with the NHTSA. Ford can’t deny this type of warranty claim, because there was a manufacturing defect with the MT82 shift forks allowing them to prematurely fail. Even if the OP was driving around with the stock shifter, those shift forks would still have failed, more so IF the OP is the type that doesn’t granny shift his cars.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Sorry, flamed isn't the right word. Maybe criticized. Given, I don't have their PMs, I believe I know the two users you're talking about. Both had Lund tunes on their cars and I believe they both claimed that the ticks started before the tunes were present. The time they got their engine (in one members case) and cars replaced, was the same timeline of many members getting the same. They both openly admitted to not wanting the car anymore because of the tick and rattles and both hoped to have them bought back. Your comment in one of the threads was that if you had known that they reinstalled stock parts and tried to act like the cars were not modified when they went to the dealer, you wouldn't have helped them.

Many people on here run a lund tune and I highly doubt that the tune was the cause of both of those engines to start ticking. Yes, the stock shift forks suck in these, but just as a tune puts additional stress on an already ticking motor, the short shifter puts an additional stress on an already weak fork.

If your comment was a joke, I apologize. I'm not trying to be an a-hole either.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, flamed isn't the right word. Maybe criticized. Given, I don't have their PMs, I believe I know the two users you're talking about. Both had Lund tunes on their cars and I believe they both claimed that the ticks started before the tunes were present. The time they got their engine (in one members case) and cars replaced, was the same timeline of many members getting the same. They both openly admitted to not wanting the car anymore because of the tick and rattles and both hoped to have them bought back. Your comment in one of the threads was that if you had known that they reinstalled stock parts and tried to act like the cars were not modified when they went to the dealer, you wouldn't have helped them.

Many people on here run a lund tune and I highly doubt that the tune was the cause of both of those engines to start ticking. Yes, the stock shift forks suck in these, but just as a tune puts additional stress on an already ticking motor, the short shifter puts an additional stress on an already weak fork.

If your comment was a joke, I apologize. I'm not trying to be an a-hole either.
You’re correct with exactly as you posted - no worries at all. My attempt at dry humor didn’t carry over too well or read as it should have - so I’ve edited that sentence in the original reply... LOL!

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
No problems FBO, E85r tune and a MGW on mine when I had my TSB done.. they even put in my Mantic with no problems. But my dealership is very mod friendly. The way it was explained to me though was since it’s a TSB on a known flaw with the shift fork it’s not going to matter if modified or not

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
No problems FBO, E85r tune and a MGW on mine when I had my TSB done.. they even put in my Mantic with no problems. But my dealership is very mod friendly. The way it was explained to me though was since it’s a TSB on a known flaw with the shift fork it’s not going to matter if modified or not
Thank you sir- I decided to take off the short throw anyways as I'd rather install it again myself. I take it in next week so I'll send an update once I talk to them

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
For those wondering, I dropped the car off on October 1st and after diagnosis, it's being covered under the TSB for the 3-4 shift forks. Parts have been ordered and It should be done this week., hopefully...

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
October 17th and still no car. I received a call last night that it should be done today, so we'll see but I'm not holding my breath.....

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
October 17th and still no car. I received a call last night that it should be done today, so we'll see but I'm not holding my breath.....
They had mine 29 days. 25 of those were waiting for parts.

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
They had mine 29 days. 25 of those were waiting for parts.
So that was my initial concern. The parts took about 8 days to get. They got the parts on the 9th. They finally decided to tell me they were waiting on a jaw puller to split the trans 3-4 days ago. All the parts are in, they just now need to put the trans back in the car. Fingers crossed for today.

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
This has been an absolute nightmare. Below are the series of events that have happened so far (I can't make this up).
  • Car dropped off for TSB on 9/1/19, was told it would be done in less than a week
  • 9/10/19 and was told they had the trans out but couldn't split the case without the 3 jaw puller tool
  • 9/16/19 was told new parts are in and will be done today
  • Received a call on 9/17/19 that car is stuck in reverse due to a damaged snychro when re-assembling parts in trans
  • 9/22/19 tech working on my car quits
  • 9/30/19 was told that they tore the trans back apart and fixed reverse snychro will be done today
  • 11/6 was told everything was put back together, test drove- all gears work but it keeps popping out of 1st. They think they damaged 1st gear synchro putting the trans back together for the second time
I'm assuming since they screwed up so much and lost so much time on this, they are just going to work on it whenever they feel like it since they already lost their ass on what should have taken a few days to complete. I wonder what's next??

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This has been an absolute nightmare. Below are the series of events that have happened so far (I can't make this up).
  • Car dropped off for TSB on 9/1/19, was told it would be done in less than a week
  • 9/10/19 and was told they had the trans out but couldn't split the case without the 3 jaw puller tool
  • 9/16/19 was told new parts are in and will be done today
  • Received a call on 9/17/19 that car is stuck in reverse due to a damaged snychro when re-assembling parts in trans
  • 9/22/19 tech working on my car quits
  • 9/30/19 was told that they tore the trans back apart and fixed reverse snychro will be done today
  • 11/6 was told everything was put back together, test drove- all gears work but it keeps popping out of 1st. They think they damaged 1st gear synchro putting the trans back together for the second time
I'm assuming since they screwed up so much and lost so much time on this, they are just going to work on it whenever they feel like it since they already lost their ass on what should have taken a few days to complete. I wonder what's next??

Enough with the Service Center - you’ve been more than patient.

Call the Ford 800#, ask for a Regional CSR Rep. demand that they open a Case for your vehicle AND most importantly, you now want a new MT82 transmission because of all the f’n hack jobs done to your existing unit. Tell the CSR you’ve been more than patient; you don’t trust the existing MT82 anymore since they have screwed with the internals so much that you’re NOT going to be a repeat customer coming back with MT82 issues because of their messing with the trans so much.

Tell the CSR also:
1) you want 1 month car payment reimbursement since your ride has been sitting in the shop due to the incompetency and the fact that you’re paying on a vehicle you bought and cannot enjoy

2) you want to know what else Ford is going to do for you, due to this fiasco and being a brand new vehicle owner who now has their car in the shop for over 30 days.

3) If you can’t get resolution and a new transmission you’ll be sure as shit to post the entire Customer Service experience on all of their Social Media platforms.

post how it goes - because the above will get you head way.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Damn man, what a shit show. You're gonna have to play lawyerball unfortunately, full "Karen wants to speak to the manager" mode. If they would be willing to replace the whole unit with a new factory fresh one (with upgraded shift fork) that would probably be the best bet at this point. And a new clutch.

FWIW the short throw shifter should actually reduce the force applied to the shift fork, for the same input force, due the shorter lever arm.
Sponsored