Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
the red/white/blue car's paint scheme sitting in front of the yellow Corvette.
Now it makes sense. I totally missed that picture. I agree kinda ugly.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've always figured that what others spend their time / money / effort on is their business. It's not my money / time - so why should I care? On the same vein - why they hell should someone else care what I think about their car? I've been wrenching / building / racing cars and motorcycles for going on 30 years. I honestly don't care what other people think about choices. And what I find ironic about this entire conversation - I grew up a GM guy. First car was a beat up '67 Chevelle SS (bench seat, 4 speed, 396 - even had dog dish hubcaps) that I cut my teeth on. Owned 1st gen Camaro's (that bug never really bit me). 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen F-Body's, G-Body's, A-Body's...in fact before my current Mustang I only owned a couple of Fords and the intent was to fix / flip those for profit. Sprinkle in some odd Mopar's along the way. My DD got totaled by an idiot driver. I drove the Camaro - love the LSx and T56 - but how does anyone see out of that thing as DD? I'm 6'3" and the best description of a newer Camaro I've ever heard (Stealing it - not taking credit ) is that it's like sitting in a bathtub with a huge sombrero on your head. I wanted to like the Camaro so much. Drove the Challenger..with the Scat pack and 6 speed (manual transmission was a requirement - my preference - I've had a stick shift daily for the last 20 years) it was fun...loved the off idle torque. I could have even dealt with it being a bit "pudgy" (for lack of a better term) but I couldn't find one that I wanted - and I needed a daily driver. I had just sold my truck before the wreck and renting a car was getting old fast. Even briefly entertained the idea of a clean used C6 that a buddy was willing to sell me....it just wasn't for me.

It was at the urging of a friend who is a Mustang nut - that I drove a S550. I'd driven a '14 and wasn't thrilled. He found a 6 speed EB for me to test drive. I liked how the car drove- simple as that.

No one is more shocked than me when I look up from my shop and see a yard full of Fords....(wife - then GF - liked the way the Mustang rode so well on a 10 hours road trip she test drove a ragtop and was sold, she ditched a Lexus drop top for it), a yard full of mid 90's Bronco's (finishing up a project / DD build for my son who plays ball in college), and a '12 F150 (Coyote motor - needed a truck, went to look at a Silverado, found a '12 FX4 crew cab w/ the Coyote and 40K ORIGINAL miles and snagged it for under Black Book trade in.

Honestly I am seriously considering looking at used GT350's after the GT500 starts getting delivered. I just would feel guilty using it as daily driver............

That being said? The new C8 doesn't PERSONALLY appeal to me at all......no third pedal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2019-BMW-X5-white-full_color-driver_side_front_quarter.png

BMW X 5
Starting MSRP
$ 61.695

BMW X 5 direct of the c8 and Shelby because it's a $60.000 car.
The quote became irrelevant when you edited it. I said super car. The X5 is neither super or a car. Neither is the X6M at 100k although I have run across a few owners that thought that it was. You were correct about price unfortunatly you forgot the most important criteria for a performance car that's performance.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I said super car. The X5 is neither super or a car.
Neither is a mid/upper end Corvette. It's a decent execution of a ME mass produced car, it's got pretty good performance stats, some compromised migrated-forward design, it'll be serviced at Chevy dealerships, etc., there's so much more to the "supercar" formula than just a 0-60 stat (I guess Teslas are way more of a supercar than a C8, since some models are way quicker in that performance metric everyone is suddenly obsessing over).

The whole supercar moniker is silly, just because it's a mid-engine design, doesn't mean it's suddenly acheived some extotic status, every hillbilly with a so-so credit score will be lined up to buy one.

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Neither is a mid/upper end Corvette. It's a decent execution of a ME mass produced car, it's got pretty good performance stats, some compromised migrated-forward design, it'll be serviced at Chevy dealerships, etc., there's so much more to the "supercar" formula than just a 0-60 stat (I guess Teslas are way more of a supercar than a C8, since some models are way quicker in that performance metric everyone is suddenly obsessing over).

The whole supercar moniker is silly, just because it's a mid-engine design, doesn't mean it's suddenly acheived some extotic status, every hillbilly with a so-so credit score will be lined up to buy one.
I think you inadvertently made my point. The term super car is a relative term and will mean something different to everyone. It is no secret that I come across sometimes as a 350 hater. That is not really the case. The car is great for what it was built for, my problem is with some 350 owners who act like it is some type of super car and look down at other Mustang owners. I would say I like the term exotic better and I really don't think it matters how many are made where they are serviced or how much they cost. To the majority of buyers this car is exotic. It looks and performs equal to or better than some of the so called super cars and when a Z06 or ZR1 comes out it will most likely out perform most. So your right to a large # of buyers with 60K to 80K the C8 will be the obvious choice. Do you really think a GT needs to cost $500K a C7 ZR1 out performs it for 380K less would you say a ZR1 is not a super car ? Again your definition of super car is yours some may agree some may not. There is no ridged definition, there never needed to be because super cars were always very expensive leading to their exclusivity. I think the C8 is going to cause some large ripples in the super car world. Again all this is just my opinion.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

You mean my buddies MR2 and Fiero aren't supercars?!

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
The C8 spanks the 350........so what, how many times have the results of such comparisons been incorrect? Or biased?
I’m an old school gearhead, not going to jump for the next biggest, fastest thing....I’d rather have a basic car that I’ve built and go out and embarrass the crap out of those kinds of people.
If you got crazy money, hell, do your thing!
But if you line up you shiny wizbang C8 next to my 86 SVO, all you’ll see is tail lights till the 1/4 is done.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
The thing is.. the C8 isn't crazy money. If it was starting at 85-90k this wouldn't be much of a discussion. You can option up a new Mustang or Camaro to 50-55K.

How will your SVO fair on a road course against the C8? Not so great, I'd bet. Vette never has and never will be a 1/4 mile focused car.

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well it looks like all the C8 owners might have to wait a little longer for there new babies now that GM is on strike.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
The thing is.. the C8 isn't crazy money. If it was starting at 85-90k this wouldn't be much of a discussion. You can option up a new Mustang or Camaro to 50-55K.

How will your SVO fair on a road course against the C8? Not so great, I'd bet. Vette never has and never will be a 1/4 mile focused car.

Mine wouldn’t do well on a road course at all it’s been altered at bit, but there are other SVO owners that track their cars and do very well against newer and older cars, including exotics.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.