GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The Whipple instructions say to remove the hood pad. I did that and when I shut my hood after the installationi looked closely and it wouldn't have cleared.

On another note, the reason the traction control, etc would work is because I put the jumper first in the wrong slot! Not Whipple's fault at all.
Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
The Whipple instructions say to remove the hood pad. I did that and when I shut my hood after the installationi looked closely and it wouldn't have cleared.

On another note, the reason the traction control, etc would work is because I put the jumper first in the wrong slot! Not Whipple's fault at all.
I smell hood fabrication.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I thought I would do a quick update. The traction control issue was my fault. I contacted Whipple and found out that the "slot" I was supposed to put the fuse in was the wrong one. On re-reading the instructions, I realize it was my fault. Switched slots and all good!

Almost cannot drive on "normal" as the popping and actual backfiring when downshifting is too much for me. Some guys might like it because everyone looks! I contacted Whipple and they are sending an updated tune to reduce that. I believe (not sure) it's caused by the immediate lean condition as soon as you let off the gas. I mean the AFR goes to max almost immediately: 20. I think they did this to keep the popping and gas mileage (which is great for a sc car).

Old guys, hear this: On "quiet" the sound and feel is just like a big block with stock exhaust (think 428 CJ or 440 Mopar) and the torque is incredible. As we used to say "runs like a raped ape". Come to think of it I believe this setup has as much or more off idle torque than my Roush did. But the increase in pull as it accelerates definitely is hands down better than my old 2300 TVS. Beefcake: $6,950 cash delivered.

Still haven't done the opg/sprocket yet. I think I'm going to do the Beefcake stage 2 conversion this fall/winter and if so, I will do the gears then. For now just enjoying this thing.

Do it!

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
As requested earlier, how is the handling affected with 130 pounds added to the nose? Some of us like to turn. How are the throttle transitions mid corner now?

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
From my calculations the install including the coolant, etc, added 114 pounds to the car. At this time I have only used normal driving modes. I cannot notice the weight. Perhaps some purists can. What I do notice is the ability to torque the car around the curves without downshifting to get more power. No noticeable increase in body roll. You are able to use the full RPM range more so as you are not wasting 0 - 3500 RPM.

On hard accelerating, with the Magneride and Michelins the car grabs and pulls amazingly. On a true road race type environment, I really don't know. But, the car does not feel nose heavy that I can determine.

What's interesting, is that the new GT500 still weighs hundreds of pounds more. No strut brace. Remember, too, that our cars also have the steel cowl extension which is a serious piece of steel pulling the cowl and strut mounts together. This part goes back on the car after the install. 1/4 thick steel. Probably much more important than the strut brace.
399281_alt4-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I bet that magna ride really helps to adjust for the added weight. Right on.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Yep. I weighed the car with 1/4 tank gas, helmet but without me. 3,960 lbs.

According to Autoblog, the car weighs 3,850 stock. So, my estimate of 114 for the blower, etc is about right.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Yep. I weighed the car with 1/4 tank gas, helmet but without me. 3,960 lbs.

According to Autoblog, the car weighs 3,850 stock. So, my estimate of 114 for the blower, etc is about right.
Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I am interested in your new gas mileage amounts. I know that running the whipple might make your foot a bit heavier, but as most of us already have a heavy foot (gotta hit that rpm for the burble), I am thinking the milage is not a night and day difference (based on your statement about the immediate lean settings off throttle).

Also, did you upgrade the half-shafts? I do not see them on your signature. The FP half shafts are my next planed modification in preparation for the Whipple (or hellion sleeper).

Finally, Thank you for the mass math. The steeda HPDE springs are far beefier than the stock spring on a non-magna, but I was gonna get concerned if the front sprung weight increased over 150.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
IMG_20191023_203629235.jpg
Gas mileage is slightly less than stock. After 8 runs at th ds my city mpg said 15.5. I have had the Whipple on for the last 1200 miles and the mileage to date on the Bullitt since I bought it is 21.2. It is less, but surprisingly good. Also my highway mileage is almost like stock.

626 rwhp at 7,000 rpm, 500 rwtq with the Whipple tune. Drives better than stock because the hp rises like a centri. Excellent product.

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - Magneride and electronic package.
This is awesome. I plan on going stage 2 at some point within a next year. 600-700 whp is where I want to keep it. I will also get fuel system upgrade to support that. Should be fun.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe you need to upgrade the 1/2 shafts. Ford changed the 1/2 shafts on the '18 and up manual transmission cars. The ones breaking were the drivers side. Ford left the DR side 1/2 shafts the same on the auto, but the sticks got a heavier shaft on the DR side. It's not necked down like the auto or earlier s550 stick cars.

When I launched at the dragstrip with cheater slicks (bias ply) I had to do it at at least 5K rpm just dumping the clutch. I am very sure the front wheels came off the ground on 2 launches (won't do it again, too hard on the car I think). I am sure the front wheels came off the ground at first a bit. No 1/2 shaft breakage.

I would have to drag race a lot of time to get my times better which I will not do as it's hard on a manual trans car where you finish the 1/4 mile in 3rd gear. Ridiculous.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
This is awesome. I plan on going stage 2 at some point within a next year. 600-700 whp is where I want to keep it. I will also get fuel system upgrade to support that. Should be fun.
Since the car stopped making power at just under 7K because of the speed limiter (155 or something in 4th) Whipple looked at the data logs and said the car was making at least 650 rwhp at 7500 rpm which you can easily hit in 1,2,3 gears.

Tires come loose at 50 in second gear if you floor it with the michelins. More than enough torque for me. The rest of the car is stock except for the BMR CB005 and Steeda inserts.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since the car stopped making power at just under 7K because of the speed limiter (155 or something in 4th) Whipple looked at the data logs and said the car was making at least 650 rwhp at 7500 rpm which you can easily hit in 1,2,3 gears.

Tires come loose at 50 in second gear if you floor it with the michelins. More than enough torque for me. The rest of the car is stock except for the BMR CB005 and Steeda inserts.
Unless the steeda flash added the standard s550 limit, your car should have run to 165 or so. Not that I know the car does not cut out at 155 because I test drove to that speed or anything. Just one of the attractive minor stats of the car.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Unless the steeda flash added the standard s550 limit, your car should have run to 165 or so. Not that I know the car does not cut out at 155 because I test drove to that speed or anything. Just one of the attractive minor stats of the car.
I have the Whipple tune. I don't know the speed as the dyno only shows the rpm. I would have had to be in the car when it was run on the rollers.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@GreenS550
Is there a reason why whipple uses the closed airbox? I would think the bullitt whipple would make good use of the stock bullitt airbox. Would the duct reach the stock airbox?
Sponsored