Sponsored

What would happen if I put 275s on the front of a 2019 GT without a spacer?

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Dumb question, I’m aware. Here’s why I’m asking: had my oil changed and tires rotated on Friday, now I’m noticing that the steering wheel is vibrating. Okay, go back to the shop and tell them, probably one of the rear tires that was rotated to the front needs balancing (only 6k miles on the car and tires), pay the $25 for the two front tires to be balanced. The car steering wheel is still vibrating at 30-65mph. (Oddly enough, at 75-80 on the turnpike, there’s no vibration)
Obviously I already have 5mm spacers ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTPELT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_T-pEDb2KQBWDC ) on the front tires. My question is if the tire shop stupidly removed them or rotated the spacers with the wheels, would this be the result?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like it either wouldn't properly clear the strut or the brake caliper. If it's not clearing the brake caliper, I think you'd hear and feel it scraping metal on metal. If it's not clearing the strut, I could see it vibrating because the tire would be constantly rubbing until the point where you've basically trimmed off the part that was in contact.

Why are you rotating the tires front and back anyways? On the PP1 they're different sizes (255 front on 9", 275 rear on 9.5"). Unless you're running the rear size all the way around with the spacers up front (you can visually spot these between the wheel and the rotor btw).

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
It should be easy to verify if they screwed up the spacers. If the spacers are where they should be and assuming they did a competent balancing job (did you see them do the balancing?) you might have a problem with the tire itself. Possibly a belt issue in one of the tires, though unlikely with only 6K miles on them. You might have to pull the fronts and make sure that the spacers are still tight.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like it either wouldn't properly clear the strut or the brake caliper. If it's not clearing the brake caliper, I think you'd hear and feel it scraping metal on metal. If it's not clearing the strut, I could see it vibrating because the tire would be constantly rubbing until the point where you've basically trimmed off the part that was in contact.

Why are you rotating the tires front and back anyways? On the PP1 they're different sizes (255 front on 9", 275 rear on 9.5"). Unless you're running the rear size all the way around with the spacers up front (you can visually spot these between the wheel and the rotor btw).
As mentioned, I have 5mm spacers and am running a squared set-up on my PP1 instead of the staggered.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It should be easy to verify if they screwed up the spacers. If the spacers are where they should be and assuming they did a competent balancing job (did you see them do the balancing?) you might have a problem with the tire itself. Possibly a belt issue in one of the tires, though unlikely with only 6K miles on them. You might have to pull the fronts and make sure that the spacers are still tight.
I don’t think it’s a belting issue of a tire as the car doesn’t pull to the left/right, just vibration felt (and visible) in the steering wheel

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned, I have 5mm spacers and am running a squared set-up on my PP1 instead of the staggered.
Nowhere in the post did you actually mention that, just that you're rotating tires.

Have you checked your alignment or is this only an issue after the rotating/balancing?

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nowhere in the post did you actually mention that, just that you're rotating tires.
Obviously I already have 5mm spacers ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTPELT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_T-pEDb2KQBWDC ) on the front tires. My question is if the tire shop stupidly removed them or rotated the spacers with the wheels, would this be the result?
I mentioned it right there, along with mentioning 275s up front in the thread title...?

Have you checked your alignment or is this only an issue after the rotating/balancing?
The alignment was fine prior to the rotation so I wouldn’t think that was it, more likely they screwed something up during the rotation, no?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
275s upfront does not mean 275s also in back. It could mean they improperly rotated the tires (which is what your post was suggesting) and had the 275s up front and 255s in the rear - that has probably happened to a decent number of people taking their cars for regular service (just like people with 18s not getting the right amount of oil during oil changes for awhile).

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Dumb question, I’m aware. Here’s why I’m asking: had my oil changed and tires rotated on Friday, now I’m noticing that the steering wheel is vibrating. Okay, go back to the shop and tell them, probably one of the rear tires that was rotated to the front needs balancing (only 6k miles on the car and tires), pay the $25 for the two front tires to be balanced. The car steering wheel is still vibrating at 30-65mph. (Oddly enough, at 75-80 on the turnpike, there’s no vibration)

Thanks guys!
Seems unlikely that the spacer would be moved, but you could take the wheel off and look to verify.

Sounds like balancing issue to me.

FWIW I run 275s up front with no spacer and do not have vibration issues.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
275s upfront does not mean 275s also in back. It could mean they improperly rotated the tires (which is what your post was suggesting) and had the 275s up front and 255s in the rear - that has probably happened to a decent number of people taking their cars for regular service (just like people with 18s not getting the right amount of oil during oil changes for awhile).
Why in the world would I already have spacers installed if I was running the stock 255s in the front for that to be the case? :p

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Why in the world would I already have spacers installed if I was running the stock 255s in the front for that to be the case? :p

I am running 275s up front with spacers is not code for I am running PP1 rear wheels and tires all around. He is perfectly right in saying you didn't tell us that in your initial post.

I am running 275s up front with spacers and am running completly different wheels and 305s on the back. If I took the spacers off nothing would happen, other than the wheels would be tucked more. Now my track wheels & 285s would rub without the spacers.

My bet, one of/all of the ballance weights fell off. Happens pretty often with the current generation of crap environmentally friendly adhesives they use.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am running 275s up front with spacers is not code for I am running PP1 rear wheels and tires all around. He is perfectly right in saying you didn't tell us that in your initial post.
The fact that I said I already have spacers and the tires were rotated isn’t just code, it’s common sense. I cannot figure out how one would discern that I have 255s in the rear from this post, considering I flat out say that I already have spacers for my tires and my concern is that the tire shop either removed them or rotated the spacers with the tire.

But, anyway, and crazy semantics aside, I verified that the spacers are still on the front. I cannot visibly see them but could feel and see that the spacing after the rim is slightly larger on the front tires. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to get back to the shop today, will be going first thing in the morning. This place is usually very good, but I’m guessing they weren’t thorough with the balancing yesterday.

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
I am running 275’s square with the 19x9 ecoboost wheels without spacers. No rubbing.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500

Thanks guys!
Forget that, get some aftermarket rims, and put 305 in the front and 325 in the back.:like:
Sponsored