green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
So in other words, less soul/no soul is what you end up with when refinement is taken too far.

When too many of the rough edges and too much from the less tangible aspects of ownership get distilled out in the name of "progress".

Norm
Norm,

It never occurred to me the way you put it, but you're right on the money with that.
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I can't look into the eyes of my car and see a soul, I don't feel a soul when I am sitting in my car and I will not mourne the car when it dies. I appreciate the car as a work of art and appreciate the experience of owning a beautiful car but it will never have a soul.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I don't know there is something visceral about this car. Its refined & nasty at the same time to me which I love. People drool over this car. At stop lights people stare at it. I took it to work last Friday which is very rare because I have a company truck to drive daily. I left the truck at home as it was a beautiful day & I planned to leave early. As I'm parking it a lady co-worker comes running (literally) out & was all over it. Asked if she could look inside & I'm like screw that sit in the drivers seat.....Sometimes I stand out in the garage & have a cold one and just stare at the Goddamned thing!

Other times I drive it and give it a nice snap and I get chills down my spine. I had a 2013 Camaro SS before this and while a nice and pretty fast car it just lacked something. It was too civilized somehow. Does this car have soul I don't know nor do I know what that is in a car. But I really like the damned thing!

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
It seems most think SOUL is a manual it seems. If that is true then why not get a car with no power steering or techno suspension or techno tires etc. and call that Mo SOUL? I guess its all subjective in the end, if you enjoy driving the car, whatever it is, then it has soul. Or you do.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It seems most think SOUL is a manual it seems. If that is true then why not get a car with no power steering or techno suspension or techno tires etc. and call that Mo SOUL? I guess its all subjective in the end, if you enjoy driving the car, whatever it is, then it has soul. Or you do.
Or it has enough 'soul' to suit such a person, though it might not have enough 'soul' to suit others. Soul is an abstract quality with no neat "either-it-has-it-all-or-it-doesn't-have-any" boundary.

Soul is a human invention, so it makes sense that human interaction is required. Or at least the memory that human interaction was required. From there, it's only a baby step to conclude that more soul would be consistent with more human interaction.

I don't disagree with your suggestion that the absence of power steering, high-tech suspensions, and today's crop of true street tires would very likely constitute "Mo Soul". I fully remember driving cars with manual steering, and as far as tactile "feel" was concerned they were as much better than the good hydraulic power steering systems of the day as the most recent hydraulic systems are over EPAS. Suspensions that were primitive by today's standards - not even considering recent developments such as MagneRide - were an integral part of a sports car's appeal. I don't know if you remember the early steel belted radial tires, the ones from before radials and even belted-bias tires were fitted to US Domestic cars, but those early radial tires weren't exactly known for having friendly breakaway characteristics. Think Michelin's original X and XAS and Pirelli's original Cinturato.

Norm

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
LOL, yes I remember those days. Showing my age here. All aspects of a car has come a long way manual or not.
Sponsored