Want to learn how to weld...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Can anyone help me find a beginner welding setup that doesn't cost a fortune?

I want to learn how to weld. My Jeep has some rust on the floorboards and I figured it was the perfect opportunity to learn a new skill. Problem is... the sheet metal I need to use is only 20 or 22 ga. I've been told a flux core welder would splatter and run too hot and probably burn through. For thin sheet metal, would a MIG be the way to go? I know a MIG with gas is probably preferred if so, but bottles are expensive.

Any recommendations on a welder new or used?
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
With mig you would have to weld with a bunch (like hundreds) of tiny quick welds. Google welding body panels. Can't put too much heat in the metal or it distorts.

hobart 185 is a great beginner mig welder. Don't flux core weld anything. Ever. Ever. It's just half ass junk welding. With gas setup and all you're around $1,000. Welding isn't cheap but a lifetime useable skill. Next step after getting decent at mig is tig welding.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Learn to TIG.

Then practice, practice, practice.

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
With mig you would have to weld with a bunch (like hundreds) of tiny quick welds. Google welding body panels. Can't put too much heat in the metal or it distorts.

hobart 185 is a great beginner mig welder. Don't flux core weld anything. Ever. Ever. It's just half ass junk welding. With gas setup and all you're around $1,000. Welding isn't cheap but a lifetime useable skill. Next step after getting decent at mig is tig welding.
There's a guy on Craigslist selling a Lincoln Pro-Mig 175, 2 bottles(1 for steel, 1 for aluminum apparently), cart, and helmet for $550. Everything looks like it's in decent shape. Good deal?

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
There's a guy on Craigslist selling a Lincoln Pro-Mig 175, 2 bottles(1 for steel, 1 for aluminum apparently), cart, and helmet for $550. Everything looks like it's in decent shape. Good deal?
Yes. Once you own the bottle get it refilled/exhacnged is cheap. The aluminum bottle setup should include what's called a spool gun for aluminum mig welding.

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Yes. Once you own the bottle get it refilled/exhacnged is cheap. The aluminum bottle setup should include what's called a spool gun for aluminum mig welding.
Looks like someone beat me to the punch. :(

I was about to head over and look at it yesterday, but someone was already on their way. Oh well. Guess there will be other good deals out there.
Sponsored